Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Danilo Gallinari will be good to go for Denver Nuggets training camp

By Christopher Dempsey

Things would have been different had Danilo Gallinari not been injured.

Now two consecutive Nuggets head coaches can make that claim, with the season over and the veteran forward having not played a game in over a year.

When he coached the Nuggets, George Karl needed Gallinari in a first-round playoff series a year ago against Golden State. But Gallo couldn't play because of a knee injury. The Nuggets lost the series and Karl was fired.

Karl's successor, Brian Shaw, needed Gallinari this season. Without him, the Nuggets often didn't have enough scoring firepower and finished 36-46.

Shaw is going to get his man starting next season. Indications are that Gallinari will be ready for training camp. He sat out this season after needing a second ACL surgery in January. But he's running now. And jumping. And dunking.

"It felt great just to grab that rim," Gallinari said, smiling.

He's not doing anything too crazy, but he's ahead of schedule and said he will be ready when October arrives.

"It's going very good," he said. "The guys are trying to keep me calm, because I feel like I can do a lot of stuff. They are holding me back. Finally, I feel like I did the right thing with the right surgery."

Gallinari was the Nuggets' second-leading scorer in the 2012-13 season and one of their best 3-point shooters. They could have used him this season.

"Gallo would make a big difference," Shaw said. "I believe that for sure."

Why?

"His presence on the floor changes a lot of things for us," Shaw said. "I know Ty (Lawson) was frustrated at times not having another playmaker on the floor with him, and I think you add Gallo and that changes that."

Gallinari's summer schedule is set. He will be in Denver until June, then will go to Italy to continue his rehabilitation program. Nuggets strength coach Steve Hess will make the trip to Italy to work with him and Wilson Chandler, who is spending part of his summer there.

Gallinari will bounce back and forth between Denver and Italy most of the summer. He's not sure whether he will practice with the Italian national team. Doctors would like him to do that to help him prepare for Denver's training camp.

"When we talk about the schedule, I'll be ready for training camp," Gallinari said. "By the end of May, I'll be able to do most of the activities that I can possibly do. So in the summer I'll be able to practice a little bit with the national team just to get a feel."

Meanwhile, center JaVale McGee (stress fracture) is a few weeks from being cleared to play again. And guard Nate Robinson (ACL) is on schedule to be ready in October.

Gallo was the only Nugget who missed every game this season.

"Not a lot of people have gone through what I've been through," he said. "It was a tough process. But I think everything that happens, it happens for a reason. I'm mentally stronger than I was before."
    http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci...%3A+Nuggets%29

vCash
    Having Javale, Gallo and Nate back will be great for this team. We would then be a defensive 2 guard away from getting back to where we were.

vCash
    I was happy to read he was already running and dunking. I sure hope he can overcome this knee injury. Some guys come back from knee injuries as good as ever but some never recover the explosion or lateral movement. Sometimes it takes 1 year to recover. Sometimes it takes 2 years. I think his return is a large key for this team. If Gallo can come back healthy it will be like having 2 first round picks in camp.

vCash
    One positive thing about this season is it gave the team a chance to see what kind of ceiling Moz can have. Some teams do not get 29 rebounds in 1 game.

vCash
    Mozgov, Quincy Miller, Faried, Ty, they all showed massive improvement in more important rolls. Arthur proved he could be useful, though I still think we should have gotten more for Koufos, or used him to move up in a draft... Chandler was extremely disappointing this year, he has not lived up to the expectations. Foye was as to be expected, a spuradic 3 point shooter who needs to come off the bench, not start. HIckson is not my kind of player, Randolph is garbage, and Fournier has a ton of work to do still if he wants to become the next Manu Ginobili.

We should have tanked more this year imo. Don't sign Foye, Hickson and Nate and maybe lose 6-8 more games this year and put ourselves in a position to get a stud in this deep draft. Of course we still have a 5.7 percent chance of moving up though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JEDean89 View Post

We should have tanked more this year imo. Don't sign Foye, Hickson and Nate and maybe lose 6-8 more games this year and put ourselves in a position to get a stud in this deep draft. Of course we still have a 5.7 percent chance of moving up though...
    Don't sign Nate?

LOL but Nate is da man!!!

vCash
    Good, hopefully he stays healthy cause we kind of need this guy. If this season proved anything...it'd be that Gallo is much better than Ill will. There were some pretty famous debates when we first got Gallo/Ill Will from the Knicks guys regarding that issue..now it's set in stone.

Gallo is just the better player. Wilson had an entire year to prove why he should be the starter...and he was quite underwhelming.

Still don't want to get rid of him..b/c we would be selling low but a healthy Gallo and Ill Will coming off the bench like he should should do wonders.

Just hope we can nab that other play-maker. Preferably a 2-guard.

Fours needs to dedicate an entire summer in the gym. Get ****in stronger. If he is going to be the French Manu..he has to be fearless going into the paint and getting ready to take all kinds of hits.

Quincy needs to spend an entire summer hitting 3's. That's the quickest way we'll see value from him. Any type of 3's Quincy just focus on them and hit them on a regular basis.

vCash
    Good news on Gallo. I think he will make a huge difference to the team.

I heard during the last few games of the season that Fournier was going to spend all summer in the gym so hope to see a physically transformed player next season.

I am disappoint with Quincy. He shows flashes but I have not seen any explosion from him. He runs like his feet are in mud. Unless he gets some explosion back he may be in danger of not being on the roster.

btw, man I am jealous... Gallo, Chandler and Hess flying back and forth between USA and Italy? I could so live like that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    Good, hopefully he stays healthy cause we kind of need this guy. If this season proved anything...it'd be that Gallo is much better than Ill will. There were some pretty famous debates when we first got Gallo/Ill Will from the Knicks guys regarding that issue..now it's set in stone.

Gallo is just the better player. Wilson had an entire year to prove why he should be the starter...and he was quite underwhelming.

Still don't want to get rid of him..b/c we would be selling low but a healthy Gallo and Ill Will coming off the bench like he should should do wonders.
    Solid post. These were my thoughts as well. Nuggets missed Gallo badly more then anyone. I thought Kevin Durants comments about gallo being his toughest defender was VERY telling.
    Nuggets 2014-15 motto: Return to mediocrity

Hall & Oates - Melo come back
    Melo come back, any kind of intelligent fan could see
    There was something in everything about you
    Melo come back, you can blame it all George Karl
    He was wrong and I just can't live without you

vCash
    I was really happy to read this. I follow him on twitter and FB and he has videos of him training and stuff up all the time. I'm hoping for a really strong recovery from him, he's still my favorite player. Don't be surprised to see me pop in here and there next season when he's going off

vCash
    I am excited as well. He's a very important player to the team. A lot of times he draws two defenders and is a great passer. Lawson Gallo faried mozgof should be fun too watch.
    "There are only two or three superstars in the league anyways," Karl said early in the season.

Agreed

vCash
    September 6, 2014, 6:45 pm
    Danilo Gallinari regrets going to Steadman Clinic in Vail for 1st knee procedure

Nuggets forward Danilo Gallinari injured his left anterior cruciate ligament in a game in April of 2013, just before Denver was to start the playoffs. At the time, it was clear that Gallinari’s season was over, and it was just a question of when he would return for the following season — at the start or shortly after.

But few anticipated him missing the entire 2014 season and requiring a second knee surgery in January of 2014.

Now, nearly a year and a half since undergoing his first procedure — a two-part job by The Steadman Clinic of Vail to repair his meniscus and then his ACL — Galliari has told Sportando.com that he made “the wrong choice” by going to the clinic in the first place.

I will need to be patient because after more than a year without basketball you have to work also on the mental aspect. But I want to be a better player than before the injury” said Gallinari. “Steadman? It is clear that if I could go back, I would not go to Steadman Clinic. I will write a book on my last year and half with some things never told. But it is better not to talk about that. I just say that one month after my surgery, Steadman said that he would not work anymore.

“I made a wrong choice but he was considered one of the best surgeons and his clinic was within a hour’s drive from Denver. Now I see what happened to Giuseppe Rossi, Westbrook, Vonn and many other maybe not famous that went to his Clinic.”

Gallinari underwent a “healing response,” a technique developed by Dr. Richard Steadman to repair, not reconstruct, the ligament in his knee, since his ACL was said to be not fully torn. The arthroscopic procedure, which entails “making three to 10 small ‘microfracture’ holes in the bone at the femoral origin of the injured ACL,” was said to result in a much shorter recovery period, because it is less invasive than a full reconstruction surgery. Essentially, the body treats the small holes as injuries, and blood and bone marrow permeate the fractures to create a blood clot, helping to reattach the injured part of the ACL back to the bone.

The Steadman Clinic’s 2002 annual report described the successful recovery of Olympic skier Bode Miller from the same surgery:

“Three weeks following his surgery, Bode was fully mobile and without need of a brace,” the report read. “Dr. Steadman suggested waiting another three weeks to determine whether the healing response would take. When the three weeks were up, the news was even more encouraging. “My ACL,” said Bode, “was regrowing entirely on its own.”

The clinic’s report did not mention, however, that Miller required another surgery in November of 2002 to remove loose cartilage pieces in the knee. That procedure was also performed by Dr. Steadman.

In June of 2013, shortly after undergoing the procedure on his ACL, Gallinari believed that he would return to the floor sooner than originally expected. But that clearly did not happen, and in January of 2014 he had surgery to reconstruct the ligament.

This past June, Gallinari told The Post’s Christopher Dempsey that he was finally on track to return for the start of training camp.

Gallinari’s comments about The Steadman Clinic are pretty damning, given his profile and his lengthy recovery. As Gallinari noted, Oklahoma City point guard Russell Westbrook also went to The Steadman Clinic to have his torn right meniscus repaired in April of 2013, after he collided with Houston’s Patrick Beverley in during a first-round playoff game. Westbrook underwent another surgery in October of 2013 to repair a loose stitch, and then a third operation in December to address excessive swelling.

Fiorentina forward Giuseppe Rossi is said to be facing another five months on the sideline after undergoing another surgery on his right knee. Rossi underwent surgery to repair his injured right ACL in October of 2011. On Friday, Rossi underwent his fourth knee surgery, performed by Dr. Steadman.

Olympic skier Lindsey Vonn underwent multiple procedures by Dr. William Sterrett, formerly of The Steadman Clinic, to repair ligaments in her knees re-injuries to those ligaments. Sterrett was fired by The Steadman Clinic in 2011 and later sued the company. Vonn reportedly switched surgeons and had her latest operation, an ACL repair in January of this year, performed by the renowned Dr. James Andrews, in Florida.

It is worth noting that neither Vonn nor Rossi have directly claimed to have had issues with The Steadman Clinic’s work.

According to the clinic’s website, Dr. Steadman — whose list of clients “include 26 athletes from professional soccer, 45 from the NFL, 23 from the MLB, 8 in the NBA and 26 snow skiers” — retired from surgical practice at the end of January of this year.
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/...%3A+Nuggets%29