Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Albert Pujols hits #499 and #500

I guess the Mang is back. He is starting off the season strong and has just hit his #499 and #500th homerun at Nationals Park. Incidentally, he hit his number #400 there a couple of years ago.
    He said when he called his wife to tell her she was doing her nails...
    Congrats Albert, wish you'd done it in STL but you are a class act.

vCash
    I said it on Twitter last night

It's funny how 5 years will change things, I would have been so excited, now I don't have any feelings either way. I can't say I am happy for him but I'm not unhappy either

It was like when Gary Sheffield hit his 500th or Frank Thomas or Manny Ramirez did it. I basically saw it or heard it, said huh. And then had no strong feelings either way

5 years ago though it would have been one of the bigger moments in my baseball life

vCash
    I'm happy for him, wish it was in St. Louis, but congrats to him
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    I wasn't rooting against him by any means. I just doesn't mean that much to me. Not like it would if say he had done it here.

vCash
    Very true
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    So happy and amazing to see this guy healthy and motivated once again. Many people were convinced after last season he was on a rapid decline and the Angles had made a big mistake.. Now while this isn't a big enough time frame, as long as he stays on the field, I see no reason why he can't keep up at this pace. He has eyes and ears just like us, he listens just like we do and now he's responding and it's a bittersweet feeling.
    How could you not root for the guy, being a STL Cardinal fan. He'll always be my favorite player regardless of what city he plays for. What he did in STL for 11 straight seasons is almost impossible. He came in to the league with a bang and took the league by storm. I'll never forget it. The best hitter in baseball (sorry, Miggy) over the last 13 years. Just wish he was breaking these records in Cardinal Red.. although though we benefited way more than anyone ever would have expected with his departure, we could use his big bat right about now..
    Anyways, big props to Albert Pujols! The Big Machine is resurrected and is now the American League's problem.

vCash
    He hasn't been the best hitter in baseball in over 4 years. I'm all for being sentimental towards him but he hasn't even been top 5 since 2010.

Regardless how you feel the guy is still in a major decline and while he can still be an offensive force he's not a top hitter in baseball anymore. He's a step below the elite hitters in baseball at this point in his career

vCash
    Hell. He's not even the best hitter on his own team lol

vCash
    He is an important part of baseball history, especially for st louis. I don't see him as being upper echelon anymore, but I would like to see it again. I think he is the one beacon of light during that steroid era, which pulled me away from a lot of my childhood idols.

The whole reason I am a fan of baseball is because of following my childhood idol mark mcgwire over from oakland. Jose Canseco was my brother's favorite player. I used to watch baseball whenever it was on tv after getting into the oakland athletics, the one channel that seemingly always had baseball games was WGN, watching WGN introduced me to Sammy Sosa, who seemingly always hit home runs.

Believe it or not, I actually liked Barry Bonds at one time (until a hr derby in which barry bonds was rubbing it in about beating mcgwire at the homerun derby, possibly foreshadowing later choices he would make.)

Catcher was the position I played, and Pudge Rodriguez was the best I had personally seen play it.

You even had pitchers implicated! I've been privileged enough to have the St Louis Cardinals as my favorite team, so I could watch Albert's historic first 11 seasons of his career. He is fortunately still free of steroid association, and the most recent criticism coming from the media was met with successful denial by Pujols, I thought he handled that very well.

He may not be a cardinal anymore, but I am very thankful for his presence in one of the darkest eras of baseball. I don't think I would be a fan anymore if not for him.
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by STL Pride View Post
    So happy and amazing to see this guy healthy and motivated once again. Many people were convinced after last season he was on a rapid decline and the Angles had made a big mistake.. Now while this isn't a big enough time frame, as long as he stays on the field, I see no reason why he can't keep up at this pace. He has eyes and ears just like us, he listens just like we do and now he's responding and it's a bittersweet feeling.
    How could you not root for the guy, being a STL Cardinal fan. He'll always be my favorite player regardless of what city he plays for. What he did in STL for 11 straight seasons is almost impossible. He came in to the league with a bang and took the league by storm. I'll never forget it. The best hitter in baseball (sorry, Miggy) over the last 13 years. Just wish he was breaking these records in Cardinal Red.. although though we benefited way more than anyone ever would have expected with his departure, we could use his big bat right about now..
    Anyways, big props to Albert Pujols! The Big Machine is resurrected and is now the American League's problem.
    This... and I like Shlumperdinks quote too. I hated to see him go but wanted him to get Arod money. Remember, he was a Junior College draft way back in the 200's. He is a credit to our scouting and he showed working hard pays off. I hope he beats Bonds all time record eventually as well.
    I can't help feeling that his contract will be dumped back on us at the end for free and he will retire in Cardinal Red!!!
    Long live Redbirds and I have enough jiggle room in that to not be bitter, Albert Pujols, Mang!

vCash
    I doubt he ever plays here again. Even though it would be nice to see one last round.

Unfortunately that 10 year clause he very stupidly agreed to where he is an angels employee for 10 years after he retires (I don't know what he was thinking) really makes it difficult for him to leave the angels organization

The best thing him and his camp could do is work a deal out of it because it not only going to lock him out from post baseball opportunities it's also going to lock him into doing what ever the angels want. They want him at new store team store openings or they want him at something representing they can basically force him if he wants to work in baseball

I fully understand the nostalgia for many fans over Pujols after everything he did

But I'm not gonna feel nostalgic for a guy who for 2 years said he wanted to be in St. Louis, it's not about money and so on. Then when they offer him a deal for 10 years but 30 million less (but still getting over 200 million dollars) and he leaves for that money and then continues on to tell everyone the management disrespected him and a bunch of other whining and crying I'm not going to feel nostalgic for him

I'm 100% appreciative of what he did do here and I 100% wish him well for his future. But do I root for him? No. When they broke in he hit 499 and MLB network broke in for his next at bat I didn't watch.

Anything he hit here after I really don't care unless it's against us or a team that it benefits us for them to lose. Other than that I'm not excited he hit it or happy he did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    I doubt he ever plays here again. Even though it would be nice to see one last round.

Unfortunately that 10 year clause he very stupidly agreed to where he is an angels employee for 10 years after he retires (I don't know what he was thinking) really makes it difficult for him to leave the angels organization

The best thing him and his camp could do is work a deal out of it because it not only going to lock him out from post baseball opportunities it's also going to lock him into doing what ever the angels want. They want him at new store team store openings or they want him at something representing they can basically force him if he wants to work in baseball

I fully understand the nostalgia for many fans over Pujols after everything he did

But I'm not gonna feel nostalgic for a guy who for 2 years said he wanted to be in St. Louis, it's not about money and so on. Then when they offer him a deal for 10 years but 30 million less (but still getting over 200 million dollars) and he leaves for that money and then continues on to tell everyone the management disrespected him and a bunch of other whining and crying I'm not going to feel nostalgic for him

I'm 100% appreciative of what he did do here and I 100% wish him well for his future. But do I root for him? No. When they broke in he hit 499 and MLB network broke in for his next at bat I didn't watch.

Anything he hit here after I really don't care unless it's against us or a team that it benefits us for them to lose. Other than that I'm not excited he hit it or happy he did.
    That's too bad you can't forgive the guy. Someone offers you 230 million and the chance to live in 70 degree weather all year. The only thing that would have made me not like him is if he went to the Yankees or Cubs.

We have a special relationship with Angels and I believe he will be back. The ten year thing is probably an unspoken buyout clause. I love Pujols, always will, and think Yadi is a product of his bat and work ethic as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.MCGwire View Post
    That's too bad you can't forgive the guy. Someone offers you 230 million and the chance to live in 70 degree weather all year. The only thing that would have made me not like him is if he went to the Yankees or Cubs.

We have a special relationship with Angels and I believe he will be back. The ten year thing is probably an unspoken buyout clause. I love Pujols, always will, and think Yadi is a product of his bat and work ethic as well.
    Can't forgive him? I have nothing to forgive. He's done nothing wrong. I'm just not going to be all nostalgic about a player who looked at fans every year and said oh yes I want to be here more than anything money is irrelevant and then leaves for more money.

If it's about money for you then say it's about money. It's a hell of a lot better than looking like a straight up hypocrite. It's fully within his right to do so and if he thinks it's what was best he did the right thing. It's part of what made Lance Berkman so great. He would flat out tell you it's about money.

I'm not bitter at him. I don't root against him. I just don't root for him. I have no feeling of love or hate towards him. I have nothing I need to forgive because the did nothing wrong

But at the same time I root for the St.Louis Cardinals. I am committed to this team, not the players. I love the players we have here but once their gone it depends on the circumstances of their leaving if I stay interested in them and their length of time here and in certain situations like trading Edmonds and Rolen or situations like Beltran who we basically let go because of lack of need I continue to "root" for them to do well (I don't make sure to watch their games or anything like that but if I'm watching a game they're in its nice to see.)

But I wouldn't root for any player who left here for more money after insisting that wasn't the case. Weather it was Molina, Wainwright, Craig or any of the guys we've signed as a result of losing Pujols.

I have no reason to root for him. I remember and appreciate everything he did but every home run he hits changes nothing about my memories. Those wonderful memories of him helping my team win. He doesn't help my team win now. So I have no reason to be nostalgic about it.

Like I said. If you want to be nostalgic about him please continue to do so. But just because I don't don't sit here and say oh well you just can't forgive him. I don't forgive him because I'm not angry and I don't have any thing to forgive because he's done nothing wrong. It just simply doesn't excite me or upset me he hit 500. I frankly don't care either way.

Also, your figures are wrong. He was given a bit over 250 million to sign with the angels but living in 70 degree whether all year is irrelevant because he still lives in St.Louis in the offseason.

Frankly when I saw the ridiculous amount of money they gave him over 10 years I moved on from any sadness and was happy he wasn't going to be back. This team would be god awful with Pujols.
    Last edited by Skippy15; 04-24-2014 at 12:57 PM.