Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Rotation

vCash

2015 Rotation

Just was curious as to what you guys think our rotation will be like next year, in 2015. We have some good young arms in Santiago, Richards, and Skaggs so you think we stick with the same rotation we have now? Or do you think we get a better # 2 starter than Wilson or a really good # 3 and trade a starter for a bat? Thoughts...

vCash
    It's very early but if everyone is healthy I would assume it stays the same. If something changed I see Santiago going to the pen
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    I would hope that we can move Santiago to the bullpen next year. Vernon Wells' contract will finally be gone so I'd like to see us spend on a starting pitcher in free agency.

vCash
    I think we will stick with the same rotation most likely that we have now, although my preference would be to get a stud through free agency and use Santiago as bullpen depth (although I do like Santiago as a starter too). A rotation of weaver, great #2, Wilson, Richards, and Skaggs would be deadly though. Or even getting a number one and making weaver the 2, if it's possible and we have money. Who are some of the big free agent pitchers out next year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin n Wangin View Post
    I think we will stick with the same rotation most likely that we have now, although my preference would be to get a stud through free agency and use Santiago as bullpen depth (although I do like Santiago as a starter too). A rotation of weaver, great #2, Wilson, Richards, and Skaggs would be deadly though. Or even getting a number one and making weaver the 2, if it's possible and we have money. Who are some of the big free agent pitchers out next year?
    The best pitchers on next years market are Scherzer, Lester, and Masterson Shields. I could see them potentially ponying up for Masterson, I think Shields is pretty reasonable, but I don't see Moreno willing to spend the money on Scherzer or Lester.
    Last edited by ciaban; 04-23-2014 at 12:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    The best pitchers on next years market are Scherzer, Lester, and Masterson Shields. I could see them potentially ponying up for Masterson, I think Shields is pretty reasonable, but I don't see Moreno willing to spend the money on Scherzer or Lester.
    I don't see the point in getting Masterson. I think Santiago could do the same or better. I wouldn't mind Shields though.

vCash
    I can see Santiago going to the pen, Richards being the number 3, Skaggs staying at the 5 and us going out to get a decent number 4 pitcher. (having santiago be the go to guy when someone goes down) I like what our starters have been able to do. Keeping us in games. It seems like weve been decent pitching and then our offense struggles to score runs. Its still our bullpen that needs a little more tweaking. I would like to see a legitimate closer come in. That would bump everyone back a notch and I have no problems with seeing a Joe Smith/Frieri/FA closer as a 7/8/9th. Santiago/kohn/Salas would also be nice arms to have in there.

vCash
    I don't see the point in getting Masterson. I think Santiago could do the same or better. I wouldn't mind Shields though.
    Masterson is a very underrated pitcher, and he would be a lot cheaper than the rest of the big name guys in FA. It would allow the team to move Santiago to the pen, we currently have no good LH Relievers, and that would help a lot.

vCash
    Masterson is a very underrated pitcher, and he would be a lot cheaper than the rest of the big name guys in FA. It would allow the team to move Santiago to the pen, we currently have no good LH Relievers, and that would help a lot.
    Or we could sign a left hander that actually plays in games so we don't have to pay Masterson a lot of money for the same production as Santiago. We could get a left handed reliever for less. If we are going to spend on starting pitching, I would rather spend it on someone more worthwhile than Masterson. I'm not saying he is bad or anything, I just think we can do better.

vCash
    Or we could sign a left hander that actually plays in games so we don't have to pay Masterson a lot of money for the same production as Santiago. We could get a left handed reliever for less. If we are going to spend on starting pitching, I would rather spend it on someone more worthwhile than Masterson. I'm not saying he is bad or anything, I just think we can do better.
    What makes you think Santiago can be as productive as Masterson, who is an extreme ground ball pitcher, with much better control.
    Masterson won't command as much money as you might think, the lesters and scherzers of the league will make much more.

vCash
    Liriano could be another target. Maybe Morrow or Edison Volquez on the cheap.

vCash
    What makes you think Santiago can be as productive as Masterson, who is an extreme ground ball pitcher, with much better control.
    Masterson won't command as much money as you might think, the lesters and scherzers of the league will make much more.
    He's young and had a solid year last year and has a better ERA than Masterson so far this year. I'm not saying he will be better for sure, but the difference in abilities in not worth investing as much money as Masterson would require.

vCash
    Well obviously the Lester's and Scherzer's of the world will make much more than Masterson.

Masterson will likely get a deal similar to Nolasco (4 years 49M)

IP 205 ERA 3.86 FIP 3.60 H/9 8.5 K/9 7.5 BB/9 3.3 WHIP 1.31 (Masterson 2011-2013)
    IP 199 ERA 4.29 FIP 3.58 H/9 9.9 K/9 6.6 BB/9 2.1 WHIP 1.33 (Nolasco 2011-2013)

Masterson will be a year younger than Nolasco was when he reached free agency. So he will likely get more money and possibly a fifth year. So you're looking at somewhere around 4 years 60M-5 years 70M.

If Santiago provided the same value as Masterson it would be smarter to sign a left handed reliever instead, but Santiago doesn't provide the same value as Masterson.
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    He's young and had a solid year last year and has a better ERA than Masterson so far this year. I'm not saying he will be better for sure, but the difference in abilities in not worth investing as much money as Masterson would require.
    So far this year they are about the same, and in about 30-35 innings, a lot change, Santiago walks nearly 4.5 per 9 Masterson is much better at that. Not only that, Santiago gives up more HR/9 so he is walking more and allowing more home runs, which is a recipe for disaster.

I think lirano could come cheaper, and it seems he finally figured out how to not walk so many people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vladdy#27 View Post
    Well obviously the Lester's and Scherzer's of the world will make much more than Masterson.

Masterson will likely get a deal similar to Nolasco (4 years 49M)

IP 205 ERA 3.86 FIP 3.60 H/9 8.5 K/9 7.5 BB/9 3.3 WHIP 1.31 (Masterson 2011-2013)
    IP 199 ERA 4.29 FIP 3.58 H/9 9.9 K/9 6.6 BB/9 2.1 WHIP 1.33 (Nolasco 2011-2013)

Masterson will be a year younger than Nolasco was when he reached free agency. So he will likely get more money and possibly a fifth year. So you're looking at somewhere around 4 years 60M-5 years 70M.

If Santiago provided the same value as Masterson it would be smarter to sign a left handed reliever instead, but Santiago doesn't provide the same value as Masterson.
    I would want to pass on Masterson if he has a comp pick attached, which I don't think is worth it because there are some other decent mid-tear starters. Like Jason Hammel, maybe Kyle Kedrick, Volquez.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast