Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

The New Offense: Giants envision their offense being similar to the Packers

Eli Manning, Giants envision their offense being similar to the Packers

When the Giants take the field this season with their new offense under first-time coordinator Ben McAdoo, it will be with a fresh new look. After two days studying the new playbook, quarterback Eli Manning expects it to resemble the Packers' offense, with plenty of West Coast concepts.

McAdoo comes to the Giants from Green Bay, where he served as the tight ends and quarterbacks coach. But his apprenticeship under Packers coach Mike McCarthy -- who runs a version of the West Coast offense -- dates back to 2004. He's bringing what he knows best to the "broken" (owner John Mara's words, not mine) unit that ranked 28th in the NFL last season.

"I think it will be similar to what they did in Green Bay," Manning said Tuesday while sporting a walking boot fresh off ankle surgery. "That's where Ben came from, so I think it will be pretty similar to that offense.

"I've never been in a West Coast offense, so I don't know if it's exactly a West Coast or a form of it, or anything at all like it. I think it has some tendencies to it, the protections and stuff, but every offense has it's own little dial and uniqueness that makes it work."

The Giants have been preparing for this for months. How else do you explain Victor Cruz's admission that he "got a little taste of it" earlier this month while working out with Manning at Duke University?

Cruz and Mario Manningham focused on routes that are considered West Coast favorites during those workouts. They were prepping for the drastic change from Kevin Gilbride's play-action, vertical-route offense to the quick-hit system that has allowed Aaron Rodgers to blossom into one of the game's best quarterbacks. Manning is hoping it helps him bounce back after a 27-interpcetion season.

"It is a little bit different than our past offense with the timing of the routes and the ball coming out quickly," Manning said. "I'm hoping that I have success in this and become a better player."

It's not going to be easy. Manning admitted his mind was swimming at the moment, only two days into the new playbook. The Giants didn't even get to the passing plays yet. They were still digesting some of the run-game concepts and formations.

To a man, the offensive players seemed to concede learning the new language that comes with the new system will be the most daunting task. But it's nothing that can't be tackled with some time and practice.

There seems to be little resistance to the change at the moment. They're all open to new approach, especially if it means more 21st-century style.

“It’s a high-powered offense, high octane. We got a little taste of it so far and I’m excited about it,” Cruz said. “If anyone watches Green Bay, they know they score a lot of points and get up and down the field pretty quickly. And they put up a lot of big plays. So we’re excited about that.”

Once the Giants receivers learn the new verbiage, the offense in general should be easier to execute. Gone are the complicated route-reads the wide receivers were tasked with under Gilbride. In are the defined routes of McAdoo and his West Coast-style offense.

“As far as my route-running was concerned in the slot position, a lot of my routes were determined by what the secondary was doing, what type of coverage they were in. That would dictate my route,” Cruz said. “As far as this offense is concerned, it’s a lot more of your route is your route, and you can dictate that off your coverage and know what you have and Eli can find you within those different holes. Now it’s a lot less dependent on what my body language is.”

That should help the Giants cut down on the mistakes. It should help Manning cut down on the interceptions.

And make no mistake, this is no longer Tom Coughlin/Kevin Gilbride’s old-school offense.

“This is Coach McAdoo’s offense,” Manning said.

And it comes with a significant West Coast flair.
    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...e_packers.html

vCash
    Just happy to finally get some confirmation on the direction.

Really, I'm less worried about Eli's injury now since the first phase of a new offense is book work and verbiage.

vCash

Me likey.

vCash
    I agree. Though I'm really disappointed in Rueben Randle though. He should have been there with Cruz & Manningham at the Manning camp getting a taste of these new routes. From my point of view, Randle has not started off on the right foot.
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

Gimme MORE of that BAZE D'andummy!

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    I agree. Though I'm really disappointed in Rueben Randle though. He should have been there with Cruz & Manningham at the Manning camp getting a taste of these new routes. From my point of view, Randle has not started off on the right foot.
    In an interview he said he had planned on going and something came up. Kind of mute at this point because the camp didn't happen anyway

vCash
    Glad to hear that we are moving in this direction.

I am wondering though, what will be the new go to play when all else fails? You know, the new shutgun draw in this new scheme? I vote for the shutgun quadruple option.

I miss our dominating D.

vCash
    New OC Ben McAdoo has been handed complete control of the Giants offense.
    McAdoo is installing a West Coast scheme very similar to the one he learned and ran in Green Bay. It means a lot more quick-hitting, timing routes and less of the read-react, vertical stuff Kevin Gilbride preferred. The system change is good news for Rueben Randle, who has gobs of natural talent but has often struggled to get on the same page with Eli Manning. McAdoo's scheme features defined routes.
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eeek78 View Post
    Glad to hear that we are moving in this direction.

I am wondering though, what will be the new go to play when all else fails? You know, the new shutgun draw in this new scheme? I vote for the shutgun quadruple option.
    I'm all for keeping the shotgun draw run. That was our Ace in the hole for two-point conversions.
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

vCash
    Man, I hope we don't stop using our secret weapon 3 rd and 4 inchs 70 yard back foot bomb extravaganzas.

vCash
    So this means a pass catching TE? My guy Amaro?
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    So this means a pass catching TE? My guy Amaro?
    The return of Beckum

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    The return of Beckum
    Beckum just wasn't any good in general, depending on how the draft goes we could see them bring in Keller or Finley..

Ideally I'd like Keller but Finley will help the transition to the new offense..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY007 View Post
    Beckum just wasn't any good in general, depending on how the draft goes we could see them bring in Keller or Finley..

Ideally I'd like Keller but Finley will help the transition to the new offense..
    I'm with ya all the way.

vCash
    The shotgun "draw" will definitely be in the playbook.

We actually ran power/power solid from shotgun more than we ran draw, but regardless, as infuriating as it was at times when it was overused, its still a great staple play that every team will use if teams want to spread out with the weapons in shotgun looks and leave the middle open to run the ball.

I mean Eli is almost as much at fault for the frequency of that play as Gilbride was, because he checked into it almost every time the Giants had numbers in the box to run the play. Downside was, especially last year and even the previous year, our offensive line couldn't even execute and get bodies on bodies when they had numbers. Not Eli's fault for not wanting to pass into extra numbers in coverage, you have to take the yards you can get there on the run play (well, situation considering). Just goes to show all the nuances that offensive line contributed to in the downfall of the offense.

I'm doing some stupid mock thing in the draft forum on here and got Jake Matthews r1, David Yankey r2, Marcus Martin r3. If that happened for the Giants, one I would be ecstatic, and two I would go place $100 on the Giants at 40/1 or whatever they are to win the Superbowl.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    The shotgun "draw" will definitely be in the playbook.

We actually ran power/power solid from shotgun more than we ran draw, but regardless, as infuriating as it was at times when it was overused, its still a great staple play that every team will use if teams want to spread out with the weapons in shotgun looks and leave the middle open to run the ball.

I mean Eli is almost as much at fault for the frequency of that play as Gilbride was, because he checked into it almost every time the Giants had numbers in the box to run the play. Downside was, especially last year and even the previous year, our offensive line couldn't even execute and get bodies on bodies when they had numbers. Not Eli's fault for not wanting to pass into extra numbers in coverage, you have to take the yards you can get there on the run play (well, situation considering). Just goes to show all the nuances that offensive line contributed to in the downfall of the offense.

I'm doing some stupid mock thing in the draft forum on here and got Jake Matthews r1, David Yankey r2, Marcus Martin r3. If that happened for the Giants, one I would be ecstatic, and two I would go place $100 on the Giants at 40/1 or whatever they are to win the Superbowl.
    I brought up the Shutgun Draw as a joke due to the frustrations of last year's OL. With the right OL, that play should work almost every time, especially against teams that are weak up front. The problem is that the play not only did it not work last year, but it made Eli look inept in his decision to keep using it. His trust on the OL backfired on him big time. It made this play become a joke.

I miss our dominating D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast