Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 90.00%
  • No

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Prince Amukamara Dilemma: Giants must decide on fifth-year option; What Would You do?

Some time in the next two weeks, the Giants brass will summon cornerback Prince Amukamara to the second floor of their facility and inform him of their decision on his future.

It will be either: a) The Giants want Amukamara on their roster for 2015 at a price of $6.898 million or b) They want him on their roster this season for $1.5 million but don't really think he's much more than an average cornerback, and not deserving of almost $7 million for a single season.

It's a tough and awkward spot for Amukamara and the Giants that is dictated by the league's latest Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). The Giants have until May 3 to pick up a fifth-year option on Amukamara's rookie contract.

The option year is for the average salary of the NFL's Top 25 paid cornerbacks last season, minus the two best compensated players at the position. That comes out to $6.898 million for cornerbacks No. 3-25 last season. The Baltimore Ravens have already committed that to cornerback Jimmy Smith, the 27th-overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

As of this past weekend, the Giants haven't informed Amukamara (the 19th overall pick out of Nebraska in 2011) of their decision. Soon enough, they will be forced to disclose whether they want to guarantee him that '15 salary or likely risk losing him next offseason.

The almost $7 million would put him on par with the Giants' biggest offseason acquisition this year, cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and several other No. 1 cornerbacks. Rodgers-Cromartie signed a five-year, $35 million deal last month.

Cornerbacks in the $7M Range

Jason McCourty (Titans) $7.173M
    Ike Taylor (Steelers) $7M
    Rodgers-Cromartie (Giants) $7M
    Alterraun Verner (Bucs) $6.44M

It's not a cut-or-dry decision on Amukamara. The 24-year-old has been good -- but not great -- in his three seasons with the Giants. Amukamara was Pro Football Focus' 34th-ranked cornerback last season out of the 110 players that qualified at the position. He was first among all corners in tackling efficiency against the run after starting 16 games and finishing with 85 total tackles.

But the Giants loaded up on the cornerback position this offseason. They signed Rodgers-Cromartie, Walter Thurmond, Zack Bowman and re-signed Trumaine McBride. Rodgers-Cromartie was signed with the full intention of being the team's No. 1 cornerback.

"Are you the best receiver of their team? [He's] following you then," coach Tom Coughlin said last month at the NFL Meetings.

It's hardly a surprise to Amukamara, and it doesn't seem to hurt his pride one bit.

"I would assume that since they gave him big money. They weren't going to use him as the No. 2, No. 3 corner or put him in the nickel," Amukamara said last week in a phone conversation from Nebraska with NJ.com. "I assume they did have big plans with him. I think that is great. I'm still going to compete to be at that level and it will be great if both corners are playing at a No. 1 corner level. It's only going to help us."

Amukamara's goals entering the season are still to be the team's No. 1 and league's best cornerback. Those are lofty aspirations. Despite a steady improvement in his three years with the Giants, it would take a great leap to fulfill his own desires.

The Giants likely don't see that as probable, as evidenced by their interest in several of the top free-agent corners. They were hell-bent on adding a No. 1 cornerback this offseason.

So where exactly does Amukamara fit in? What do the Giants have in store for him now and into the future? What do they want to invest in him for a single season?

It could be a wait-and-see situation. Thurmond and Bowman both came on one-year deals. If the Giants don't pick up Amukamara's fifth-year option, he'll also be playing on the final season of his deal. It would set up a likely may-the-best-man-win situation for the future.

At the very least, Amukamara should finally be playing in a defense that best suits his skills. He's a physical corner who thrives on making contact with receivers near the line of scrimmage. Now he has others capable of playing a similar style.

Rodgers-Cromartie and Thurmond are both big, physical corners. All signs point to the Giants playing more bump-and-run coverage than in the past. That should only help Amukamara. It plays to his strengths.

"That's the name of my game," he said. "That's what we did here at Nebraska. I enjoy challenging the receivers from the line. I think that is going to be great. I'd be very happy if that becomes most of our game plan."

He'd be equally as content if the Giants secured his services for the 2015 season at close to $7 million, with the potential to negotiate a long-term deal some time in the next two years. It's all on the team's shoulders now, and will be relayed to him some time in the first two weeks of the Giants offseason program.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...ar_option.html

I'd like to hear what others think here, Would you pick up the option or not?

Or, Would You Like Too See Him Extended?

Personally, I would Pick Up the Option and attempt to extend him.
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 04-22-2014 at 04:45 PM.

vCash
    If A Mod Could Please Update the Poll, I'd like to Add

Pick Up Option and Extend him as one of the possible answers.

vCash
    I don't have an "edit poll" option which I usually have.....weird.

My gut reaction would be to take the option and then work on a long term deal, but I'm not sure what their cap looks like for 2015. Decent amount committed to DRC and Rolle needs a new deal.

Kinda hard for me to say. If it's as simple as "is he worth $7m/yr?" I'd say yes, but if it's taking cap space when they just signed DRC and they can get other #2 CB options, then its not so easy.

vCash
    I want him back hes still only 24 so he can get better and hes great against the run...with drc as our number one itd be nice to have such a good 1.2 punch..try to extend him for cheaper

steal of the draft cleanthony early

vCash
    Wow, I thought they couldn't pick up a 5th year option for Prince, that's good news. No question, pick up his option and get working on an extension.
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

Gimme MORE of that BAZE D'andummy!

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Long term deal would be ideal but I just don't want to risk losing him, all around a very good corner and he just keeps getting better..

I would do the option in a heart beat but let's see what they have in mind..

vCash
    I'm very much ignorant on cap systematics so I might be completely of the mark here, but can't we extend him now with a front-loaded contract? We still have like $4 mil left at the moment right? And there's $5 mil that can be added to this number since Baas his money will be deducted after 1 July. Front-load it now might extend him for a couple of years with decent cap hit in de the coming years and a relatively high cap hit now (since we got money left anyways)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants-NL-3 View Post
    I'm very much ignorant on cap systematics so I might be completely of the mark here, but can't we extend him now with a front-loaded contract? We still have like $4 mil left at the moment right? And there's $5 mil that can be added to this number since Baas his money will be deducted after 1 July. Front-load it now might extend him for a couple of years with decent cap hit in de the coming years and a relatively high cap hit now (since we got money left anyways)?
    Can't really front load it. Plus that 5-6 million coming off for baas is going to be for rookie contracts, well only roughly 3 million of it. But that still only leaves them with 6 million. Realistically you'd like to go into the season with a few million. 4 or so, in case of the injuries and what not. Also take into consideration they may sign players after the draft. (a guy like miles austin)

vCash
    I dont think you pick up the option and extend him this year... You'd pick up the option then extend him next year after getting a freebie year to look at this year with no risk going into next year.

100% though you pick up the option. Extremely solid corner.

vCash

Prince Amukamara Dilemma: Giants must decide on fifth-year option; What Would You do?

It's a matter of cap space next season and there's still Rolle, JPP and Eli extension to consider. I mean if JPP returns to form anthem want to pay him, there's not gonna be $7m available for a number 2 CB.

I also think it sucks that they have to decide on the option before the draft. What of they land a great CB this year and dot need Prince next year?

Also not sure what the CB market is like next year.

I love him and want him back but there's a lot of factors that only our front office is aware of.

vCash
    As it stands right now the Giants are about 27mill under the cap for next year and it is supposed to go up again.They still have to sign their rookies and might add a vet or 2 so let's say that adds about 5mil to next years cap hit,that brings then to about 112mill tied up for next year.Let's say the cap goes up to 140mil,That leaves them with 28mil to work with. You give Prince 7mil on his option and hope you can extend that to reduce the cap hit,You re-sign Rolle(Prefer to extend him this yr),That would problably cost another5-6 mil.That leaves the team with 15 to 16 mil left to sign JPP and other free agents.Dosen't sound like much but remember Eli will go into his contract year and if they extend him that could save them a big chunk(10mil) on the cap and let's just say Eli stinks it up this year and they say they want to cut him, He would save the Giants about 17 mil with just a 2.5 mil cap hit if cut.Either way they can save big next year with Eli so i say give Prince his money and keep the secondary together for a long time.

vCash
    ^I think Jolly made a strong point
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

Gimme MORE of that BAZE D'andummy!

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Can't really front load it. Plus that 5-6 million coming off for baas is going to be for rookie contracts, well only roughly 3 million of it. But that still only leaves them with 6 million. Realistically you'd like to go into the season with a few million. 4 or so, in case of the injuries and what not. Also take into consideration they may sign players after the draft. (a guy like miles austin)
    Meh I don't know... we have about 10 mil left, of which 3 should be given to rookies and 3 should be kept in reserve in case of injuries (I think 3 was what they had last year at least). Still gives you 4 to front-load Prince's contract. Personally i'd rather extend Prince than sign a injury-prone receiver like Austin... Plus I think we will devote one of our early picks on a WR in which case Austin is superfluous.

vCash
    Here is what you do:

-Pick up the extension.
    -Try to work out a reasonable long term deal spreading the money out and front loading this year if the money is there. Stop here if successful.
    -No long term deal: let him play this year.
    -Try again to work out reasonable long term deal. Stop here if successful.
    -No long term deal, not enough budget to pay #2 CB $7M? --- trade him for a draft pick.

Seriously theres no reason he shouldn't be picked up. That 5th year option is only guaranteed for injury and doesn't count against the books until he is on the roster for the 2015 season. If you can't pay him and he's too expensive to keep around - at least get something. Why wouldn't you? Someone would trade for the guy
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Here is what you do:

-Pick up the extension.
    -Try to work out a reasonable long term deal spreading the money out and front loading this year if the money is there. Stop here if successful.
    -No long term deal: let him play this year.
    -Try again to work out reasonable long term deal. Stop here if successful.
    -No long term deal, not enough budget to pay #2 CB $7M? --- trade him for a draft pick.

Seriously theres no reason he shouldn't be picked up. That 5th year option is only guaranteed for injury and doesn't count against the books until he is on the roster for the 2015 season. If you can't pay him and he's too expensive to keep around - at least get something. Why wouldn't you? Someone would trade for the guy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast