Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Former Referee Donaghy: Raps are up against Nets, and referees!!!

Disgraced former NBA referee Tim Donaghy is giving credence to Toronto Raptors fans who feel their team was victimized by biased officiating in game one of their NBA Eastern Conference playoff series against the Brooklyn Nets last Saturday.

Donaghy, who was an NBA official from 1994-2007 before being fired and later imprisoned for betting on games he officiated, appeared Tuesday on The Jeff Blair Show on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. He told Blair why he believes the Raptors are at a disadvantage in the series.

Here is the whole interview of former Referee Donaghy with Jeff Blair
    Really interesting interview, I'm not surprised.
    League has always p@#!@d on the raptors,proof is in the pudding.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_deman...-Interview.mp3

Courtesy: Sportsnet

“They’re not only going against the Brooklyn Nets but going against the league office,” Donaghy said. “They have a very talented team and have to be that much better than the Brooklyn Nets. I have picked Brooklyn to win the series with (Paul) Pierce, (Kevin) Garnett, Joe Johnson and even Jason Kidd. When you look at the coaches – the referees are going to be more active to talk and respond to (Kidd) over (Raptors coach) Dwane Casey.”

“What they do is they actually send in a representative from the league office to sit down with the referees at an 11 o’clock meeting in the morning where they go over game film,” Donaghy said. “They will show the referees what they want called, what they want them to concentrate on, what they feel needs to be called or let go in a series to avoid any problems. With that, you would leave the room and say to yourself one team is put at an advantage or disadvantage.

“In this situation, Brooklyn would be put at an advantage. A Brooklyn-Miami matchup would bring great ratings and that’s what this is all about for the NBA and the league offices – bringing in as many dollars as they can.”

“Some of the things that the league does and continues to do puts these teams at a disadvantage — like the Toronto Raptors — because moving forward they won’t bring in the big dollars for the league. It’s terrible for the fans (of) Toronto. They go and support that team but really they’re going to have trouble moving on based on talent and what takes place on the floor when they’re really going against the refs and the league, along with the Nets.”

“As a referee, you get paid an enormous amount of money as (you) advance in rounds,” he said. “You’re bring graded in every way you’re officiated. And you’re going to be graded on what they want you to call. So if they say ‘Kyle Lowry is hand-checking Deron Williams and we need that called’, you’re certainly going to call it. If you let something go, you’re going to be dinged with a missed call.

“If you’re going to continue to progress up the ladder and make more money and gain status like Joey Crawford and Dick Bavetta, you’re going to do what they want.”

“It started with Michael Jordan,” he explained. “The referees used to tell the younger referees that if Jordan goes to the hole and if there’s a crowd in there then just blow the whistle. That’s what the refs are programmed (to do) – to give that star player the benefit of the doubt. Even when he commits a foul, if you can give a foul to another player in that area – that’s what you’re told to do.”

“When I look at refs for tonight’s game for example… if you’re putting Gary Zielinski and David Jones in an arena like Portland where the fans are very boisterous and come down on you at every call, then that home team will have an advantage. They’re what we consider to be in the referee world kind of like homer refs. They don’t like to go against the tough crowd.

“This isn’t a knock on Toronto or their fans, but they don’t have that type of crowd. If they did, I would say Toronto would be in good shape tonight.”

“The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for David is that, while you don’t know what to expect, you stand at least a chance of being inspired.”

vCash
    So the end there is he saying the crowd needs to get at the refs more?

vCash
    As much as I like to believe this, this guy has no credibility.

vCash
    Donaghy is an opportunistic moron. For an "insider", his handicap record is atrocious.

vCash
    post it in the NBA forum for others to see this too
    Try staring at this picture for more than a minute without getting a headache

vCash
    I hate this sub-story of unfair refereeing being a disadvantage to Toronto in this series. It also seems very fan and media driven. I really didn't see anything egregious in the refereeing last game to indicate that there is going to be an unfair bias. I'm not saying it won't happen, but using it as an excuse and making a big deal about it when it hasn't actually happened (yet) is tiring. The guys playing the game control far more than the referees. Anyways, if the conversation bothers me so much I should probably just not click on threads like these and ignore the comments that frustrate me. Normally I would do that just fine, but the fact that I enjoy consuming Toronto sports media and the fact that it is currently saturated with this storyline is making it difficult.

vCash
    Jeff Blair's a goofball too. Figures he would be the one doing the interview. I would take this with grain of salt. Disgruntled former employee being interviewed is never a good idea.

vCash
    NBA is a business first basketball second so anything is possible.

vCash
    Lol at anyone who believes anything that comes out of Donaghy's mouth

vCash
    Donaghy is a grease ball but like Canseco and the guy who accused Lance of doping they were right in many ways.

I just don't think the Raps lost at all in game 1 cause of reffing I just think it was a bad game especially by Amir, DD and Ross. Really Jonas was the only guy that had a real good game. I'm just scared moving forward if we see some favoritism especially in a tight game.

vCash
    he lost credibility when he said we don't have that type of crowd, lmao, we were screaming "bull ****" at the first wrong call.
    Last edited by bucketss; 04-22-2014 at 04:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    he lost credibility when he said we don't have that type of crowd, lmao, we were screaming "bull ****" at the first wrong call.
    pretty much. I think we got the short end of the stick with the officiating in game 1, especially down the stretch, but the nets still deserved to win that game.

vCash
    Sorry I couldn't respond sooner,kinda at work.
    Yes I agree with most of u about Donaghy,no way u would take his words since what he has done,however their is merit 2 his contradiction of the league it self,it is a money first business and raptors get slighted,bc well they aren't the money making machine for the league,which is bs..
    Anyway I could go for hours with this topic,but don't have time.
    I would love 2 c this interview shown on a big screen at air canada center,it would be interesting how the fans would take it at game..it would be nasty,maybe they should,stick it 2 espn and usa market.

P.S

F@!# Brooklyn!!!

“The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for David is that, while you don’t know what to expect, you stand at least a chance of being inspired.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    Lol at anyone who believes anything that comes out of Donaghy's mouth
    People thought Galileo was crazy too when he insisted the Earth was round...

The NBA is a business, so I don't buy the fact that he was just a "rogue ref"; as a business, they're going to look out for their own best interests. What will be more profitable in the US? Miami Vs Toronto, or Miami vs BKN?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBall20 View Post
    Sorry I couldn't respond sooner,kinda at work.
    Yes I agree with most of u about Donaghy,no way u would take his words since what he has done,however their is merit 2 his contradiction of the league it self,it is a money first business and raptors get slighted,bc well they aren't the money making machine for the league,which is bs..
    Anyway I could go for hours with this topic,but don't have time.
    I would love 2 c this interview shown on a big screen at air canada center,it would be interesting how the fans would take it at game..it would be nasty,maybe they should,stick it 2 espn and usa market.

P.S

F@!# Brooklyn!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GodsSon View Post
    People thought Galileo was crazy too when he insisted the Earth was round...

The NBA is a business, so I don't buy the fact that he was just a "rogue ref"; as a business, they're going to look out for their own best interests. What will be more profitable in the US? Miami Vs Toronto, or Miami vs BKN?
    K, people need to stop throwing out "it's a business" statements as if it's a meaningful argument.

First off, the NBA makes absolutely no money off of any rating differences. They already have a preset contract with ESPN/Turner Sports based off of projected values. They make ~680 million from the networks whether it's Miami vs Toronto, Miami vs Brooklyn or Milwaukee vs Atlanta. Only ESPN/TNT loses out when you have a Spurs vs Cavs final.

So in order for them to truly manipulate profit, they have to inflate their ratings by increasing market saturation and brand growth for future negotiations with networks, sponsors, local managers etc. They do this by forcing Milwaukee to upgrade their facilities, investing overseas (look at the number of international sponsors the NBA has) etc.

Even then, these contracts are hardly ever decided by ratings. If they were, MLSE wouldn't have invested in a new stadium.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast