Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Cardinals (11-8) at Mets (9-9) April 21-24

St. Louis Cardinals vs. New York Mets
    Monday, April 21, 7:10 PM EDT , Citi Field

Tyler Lyons, LHP
    8.0 IP, 0-1. 14.63 ERA. 2.25 WHIP
    Lyons fills the rotation spot that was Joe Kelly's until a hamstring injury landed Kelly on the DL. Lyons will be the first lefty to make a start for the Cardinals in 2014. He last pitched Wednesday and allowed one run on five hits in seven innings.
    Jenrry Mejia, RHP
    16.0 IP, 2-0, 2.81 ERA, 1.44 WHIP
    The Mets will watch Mejia closely vs. the Cardinals, considering he left his last start after five shutout innings when a blister popped off his right middle finger. Mejia spent his time between starts receiving significant treatment on the finger.
    Tuesday, April 22, 7:10 PM EDT , Citi Field
    Adam Wainwright, RHP
    30.0 IP, 3-1, 1.80 ERA, 0.87 WHIP
    Wainwright threw a two-hit shutout Thursday to become the 16th pitcher in Major League history to open a season with four straight starts of seven innings and seven strikeouts. He had his cutter working to give him four effective pitches.
    Dillon Gee, RHP
    26.2 IP, 1-0, 3.71 ERA, 0.97 WHIP
    In Gee's third start of the season, Mets manager Terry Collins did not give him a chance to melt down late. Instead, Collins removed Gee after seven scoreless innings and 72 pitches, meaning he should be well-rested for Tuesday's outing.
    Wednesday, April 23, 7:10 PM EDT , Citi Field
    Michael Wacha, RHP
    26.0 IP, 2-1, 1.73 ERA, 0.88 WHIP
    Wacha took the loss Friday, in part due to sloppy defense. He allowed one earned run in seven efficient innings (93 pitches) despite three errors behind him. His cutter continues to emerge as a weapon alongside his changeup, fastball and curveball.
    Jon Niese, LHP
    19.0 IP, 0-2, 2.84 ERA, 1.11 WHIP

Thursday, April 24, 1:10 PM EDT , Citi Field
    Lance Lynn, RHP
    23.2 IP, 4-0. 3.42 ERA, 1.31 WHIP
    Lynn became the Majors' first four-game winner and has allowed one run in his last two starts. He seems past his first-inning troubles after altering his pregame routine, and Lynn said his command last time out was the best it's been this year.
    Bartolo Colon, RHP
    25.0 IP, 1-3, 5.40 ERA, 1.48 WHIP
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Important series. These are the ones you have to fatten up your win column with

Anything less than 3/4 is a failure vs a not very good mets team

vCash

Cardinals (11-8) at Mets (9-9) April 21-24

Go cards!

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    Lyons looks good

vCash
    Lyons is very confusing. Not that impressive minor league numbers but he seems to have good quality pitches and a very smooth repeatable delivery that may hide the ball a tad.

He's either really good here or really bad. Interesting guy

vCash
    This bench needs fixed now.

Descalso is fine, he adds several spots of versatility and keeps us from needing another middle infielder.

Obviously the platoon splits of Wong/Ellis and Bourjos/Jay are fine. Jay and Bourjos both add great value as 4th outfielders or starters. I think Wong should be starting more but the other on the bench adds a good player off the bench

But shane Robinson literally adds nothing. No power. Mediocre hitter for average. Good defender but not better than Bourjos.

He is literally wasting a roster spot

vCash
    I can't believe they paid Peralta that much money for that many years.. He needs to get going and earn his money..
    #FREECROONER!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    This bench needs fixed now.

Descalso is fine, he adds several spots of versatility and keeps us from needing another middle infielder.

Obviously the platoon splits of Wong/Ellis and Bourjos/Jay are fine. Jay and Bourjos both add great value as 4th outfielders or starters. I think Wong should be starting more but the other on the bench adds a good player off the bench

But shane Robinson literally adds nothing. No power. Mediocre hitter for average. Good defender but not better than Bourjos.

He is literally wasting a roster spot
    I'd swap Grichuk with Robinson personally, and Garcia with Descalso

Both better players.

But you hate to have Grichuk up if he isn't going to play every day.....but I'm sure he can get plenty of AB's

Give Holliday a day off, Craig a day off, Adams a day off, and be a good bench bat.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 04-21-2014 at 10:14 PM.

vCash
    This offense is pathetic so far. Thanks for the pitching or this team would be sitting were the cubs are at.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

Both better players.

But you hate to have Grichuk up if he isn't going to play every day.....but I'm sure he can get plenty of AB's

Give Holliday a day off, Craig a day off, Adams a day off, and be a good bench bat.
    I think I would give Butler a chance first just because Grichuk could benefit from playing every day and Butler while flawed, has strong minor league number including extra base power and he's a seasoned minor leaguer, he doesn't have to play every single day. He can't be worse than Robinson

If Butler fails then I think you look at calling up Grichuk.

Honestly though, I think one of them will be up by June at the very latest because we start interleague games in American League parks, we need a DH those games and we have no option

I would switch out Robinson for Butler tomorrow morning, if Butler does well maybe he gets those at bats but if not he can always be sent down and Tavares brought up (I say Tavares just because he's getting ready to go back to CF, makes me think the cardinals want him here as the everyday CF by June and it allows them to move Holliday/Craig/Adams around the DH spot.)

But this also gives one of them another solid 5 weeks of At bats and for Tavares to play some CF. Lots of other factors though like how is Jay doing, how is Bourjos doing? What if Holliday or Craig gets hurt before that. Lots of factors

Also agree on Garcia, he's better than Descalso, plays same positions, better bat, good glove
    Last edited by Skippy15; 04-21-2014 at 10:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

Both better players.

Thing with Grichuk is contact issues. Could he in part time duty get enough AB's to stay sharp? I dont think he could.. The kid is finally after several years of struggling with injury getting to play everyday.
    To me Piscotty looks as though he could handle the role without much drop off.
    As far as Garcia goes I think the fact they choose Kozma over Garcia says a lot..

The bench is in a weird spot because MM has let regulars try to play thru slumps to start the season with no success, all the while letting his bench stagnant due to lack of use. Now it appears as though Wong is on the outs with MM..

I do not understand how MM is handling this team so far this season. Hope to god Mo steps in and fixes some of the roster soft spots and gets MM to use his full roster...

vCash
    Kozma over Garcia means nothing. Kozma had major league experience and was needed for a 10 game stretch where he hardly touched the field. If it was going to be a scenario where Ellis would be out till June or July Garcia or an actual bench bat would have taken the spot

Matheny has been a real pain in the *** this year. We have 2 relievers that basically sit in the bullpen and one who pitches every so often. We have Tony Cruz who he is terrified to use because of the chance of injury to the only other catcher.

Amd then we get Shane Robinson who for some reason Matheny seems willing to throw out there at first chance.

The bench needs overhauled

Tony Cruz actually has some hitting ability. If you don't wanna bring up an outfielder sign an old washed up catcher to sit on the bench and never player and let Cruz be Eli Marrero playing catcher, outfield, third base and first base.

Do something. Call up an outfielder to replace Robinson or extra catcher and allow Cruz to play more.

Shane Robinson is a useless part on this team currently. We have 2 center fielders and he offers nothing else to the team valuable.

The bullpen needs help to much I don't know there's any out there outside waiting for Motte to get back and finally truanting guys like Neshek and Choate
    Last edited by Skippy15; 04-22-2014 at 08:50 AM.

vCash
    Matt Holiday was on the Dan Patrick show today.. Very good interview.. Absolutely hilarious!!
    #FREECROONER!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelshunde4 View Post
    Thing with Grichuk is contact issues. Could he in part time duty get enough AB's to stay sharp? I dont think he could.. The kid is finally after several years of struggling with injury getting to play everyday.
    To me Piscotty looks as though he could handle the role without much drop off.
    As far as Garcia goes I think the fact they choose Kozma over Garcia says a lot..
    One is right handed, the other is left handed. One already had his clock started, and they want to trade, the other they can delay his clock and options and don't want to trade.

There are a lot of reasons why Kozma was chosen over Garcia, and I don't think any of them have to do with performance.

The bench is in a weird spot because MM has let regulars try to play thru slumps to start the season with no success, all the while letting his bench stagnant due to lack of use. Now it appears as though Wong is on the outs with MM..
    I doubt Wong is on the outs, but I can see Bourjos being.

Wong will get every chance all year long to be a big league regular. They will constantly give him shots to be the starting second basemen long term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    Kozma over Garcia means nothing. Kozma had major league experience and was needed for a 10 game stretch where he hardly touched the field. If it was going to be a scenario where Ellis would be out till June or July Garcia or an actual bench bat would have taken the spot
    100%

Matheny has been a real pain in the *** this year. We have 2 relievers that basically sit in the bullpen and one who pitches every so often. We have Tony Cruz who he is terrified to use because of the chance of injury to the only other catcher.
    This, this bugs the **** out of me.

Cruz should be getting 200-250 PA a season, and he barely reaches 150 with Yadi being hurt.

He is way too careful about using his backup catcher. If he want to use Cruz, maybe do a double switch and let him play third or a corner position and let Yadi keep catching, or later in the game as a pinch hitter, and put Yadi over at first. You have an emergency catcher for a reason, and it's just one game if that's the situation. You can call a guy from Memphis over night to be there the next day if there is a major issue.

Matheny is a good manager, and a great communicator. But he is inept when it comes to how to use his bullpen and bench and late game situation calling. He is really exposed in extra inning games as an inept manager.

The other Friday night against the Cubs, when he let Rosenthall bat with the winning run on second base and two guys on the bench that could drive him in, and three guys left in the bullpen to pitch for him was completely brain dead (and then Rosenthall eventually gave up the home run to Castillo).

That was ridiculous. That is brain-dead. It's easy to backseat manage, but when you clearly know it's a bad move during the time it's happening, you know it's probably a mistake. Maybe he didn't feel he had time to warm someone up, but that situation was brewing for a bit, and we knew the pitchers spot was coming up, once you saw that happening and men on base (it was two on one out before an out was made before Rosenthall) he should have started stretching someone.

Matheny is too careful with bench/bullpen guys, and likes to show players he has 'confidence' in them, but he does that against the grain sometimes by letting guys play in spots where they can't be successful in the first place. Rosenthall wasn't going to drive that guy in. And even if he did, you don't want him swinging the bat and then pitching again.

I didn't watch Sunday's game, but why was Maness pitching to Span with the bases loaded and one out? That's the completely wrong guy to be pitching there. Span is a contact hitter who isn't going to hit into a double play. Maness isn't going to strike him out, Span is going to make contact. Righty vs lefty didn't help. You need someone up who can strike him out, or a lefty who can induce weak enough contact that a ball can be hit back to the pitcher or a weak infield pop up.

Maness wasn't going to get any of those results there.

Amd then we get Shane Robinson who for some reason Matheny seems willing to throw out there at first chance.
    Shane Robinson is the weaker version of Peter Bourjos. There is no reason to have both on the roster unless Bourjos is a constantly getting hurt...and he's not.

Tony Cruz actually has some hitting ability. If you don't wanna bring up an outfielder sign an old washed up catcher to sit on the bench and never player and let Cruz be Eli Marrero playing catcher, outfield, third base and first base.
    Yes
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 04-22-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast