Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Bucs Unlikely to Exercise Option on Clayborn

ProFootballTalk:

As the deadline for exercising the fifth-year option of players picked in the first round of the 2011 draft approaches, a recent first-round pick in Tampa Bay is inching closer toward being thrown overboard.

Per a league source, itís doubtful that the Buccaneers will pick up the fifth-year option on defensive end Adrian Clayborn.

The 20th overall pick that year, Clayborn has 35 career regular-season appearances and starts. In 2013, he started every game, notching 5.5 sacks. Clayborn had 7.5 sacks as a rookie.

While the Bucs likely wonít pick up Claybornís option, the source says they also have no intention of trading him to a team that perhaps would want to exercise the option. Or to trade him at any point after the May 3 deadline for picking up the option.

Thus, if Clayborn stays in Tampa beyond 2014, itíll happen under a contract that isnít driven by a first-year salary of $6.9 million, which is the amount of the option the Bucs likely wonít be exercising.
    Thoughts? Smart move by the front office?

Fire the cannons.

vCash
    It's a good move and a move that sends the message of "It's time to put up or shut up."

vCash
    If he does awesome this season im sure we will do what ever it takes to keep him around, but i wouldn't take much stock in something reported as a opinion from a "League Source" thats like hearing a story from a friend of a friends friend if some ones not willing to put there name to it i don't believe it. But I honestly feel that Bowers and Gholston have more of a upside then Clay so i wont be heart broken if we lose him at any point.

vCash
    yea if he has a breakout year and lives up to his potential i say we give him an extension at less money per year. If not then the writings on the wall and we probably phase him out this year anyway.