Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which Giant Needs to Step Up the Most in 2014?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Will Beatty

5 50.00%
  • Rueben Randle

3 30.00%
  • Adrien Robinson/Larry Donnell

0 0%
  • Johnathan Hankins

0 0%
  • Jerrel Jernigan

1 10.00%
  • Other

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Top 5 Players Who Need to Step Up in 2014

I was reading an article early on from NFL.com and it was about 5 offensive players who'll have to be ready for bigger roles in 2014, with two of them coming from the Giants:

Five players ready for bigger roles: Offense
    By Marc Sessler
    Around the League Writer

3. Rueben Randle, WR, New York Giants: With Hakeem Nicks out the door, Randle is the top option for No. 2 duties alongside Victor Cruz. Wideout looms as a draft need for New York, but Tom Coughlin in March expressed high expectations for Randle. "You've seen the plays the guy can make," the coach said. "We have a lot of belief and stock in his development." Giants skill players are starting fresh under new coordinator Ben McAdoo, and young receivers tend to emerge in Year 3. Randle's under pressure to deliver.

5. *Adrien Robinson, TE, New York Giants: Big Blue is bound to target a tight end in the draft, but Robinson is worth watching. Giants coaches, per The Star-Ledger, see him "as the Jason Pierre-Paul of tight ends due to his combination of raw size and speed." Foot and knee injuries derailed Robinson's 2013 campaign, but McAdoo's presence is a plus after what we saw in Green Bay, where Packers tight ends combined for 133 catches over the past two seasons. Keep an eye on this one.

* Gregg "The Boss" Rosenthal suggested I deep-six Robinson off this list, but I've got a notion he'll break out -- and I want to be able to link back to this on a rainy day.
    I'm going on a broader note: This is just pure speculation, as we're a couple of weeks away from the draft and we don't know what kind of changes will be made from that, but this is my top 5 list of players who need to step up in 2014 for the Giants with a heavier chip on their shoulder:

5. Jerrel Jernigan, WR, #12: For the die-hard-fans who were loyal enough to watch the final 3-4 games of the 2013 Season (especially G) -- it took 3 years but finally, we had seen the emergence of Jernigan. The boy can make plays, but it should be noted that he was buried under a deep depth of WRs. Now with Nicks gone and Cruz wanting to play more on the outside, Jernigan is going to be expected to step up in the slot position and pick up where he left off in 2013. The question is, can he do it?

4. Johnathan Hankins, DT, # 96: It was quite painful (it was for me) to see the Anvil be carried away by Minnesota, but we have Hankins. We've seen some highs and some lows, as it can be seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bcZd9MKUys (could you embed this for me G? Really would appreciate it)

Hankins has the potential to grow into a run-stuffer like Joseph did during his 4-year tenure with the Giants, but he has big shoes to fill in. We have Patterson & Jenkins, but our proposed future DTs are Kuhn & Hankins. The question is can he be consistent on a daily basis and be as productive as Linval "The Anvil" Joseph in the middle?

3. Adrien Robinson, TE, #81/ Larry Donnell, TE, #84: I put these two fellas together for the reason that they'll be competing for the starting TE job with limited experience on the field. Both are young guys (Both are 25) and despite the fact that both of them have at least two season of experience of being with the Giants, they both have shown some flashes of athleticism and play-making abilities. I'm really high on Donnell, but it's worth noting the Giants organization have viewed Robinson as the "JPP of Tight Ends". The question for Robinson is can he live up to that kind of praise, while the question for Donnell is can he capitalize on those "flashes" he has shown and make it happen on the field? The Giants haven't picked up anyone but Kellen Davis from Free Agency and we don't know if they'll draft another TE, so the question for both of them is can they take advantage of the opportunity to get more snaps/playing time and live up to the hype that they've been given?

2. Rueben Randle, WR, #82: Let's face it, as unproductive as he was the last two seasons, we let our X-Receiver walk away to join up with the Colts. Randle is expected to step up replace Nicks, but he sure has some BIG gloves to fill in (pun intended). Coughlin has already expressed his belief in Randle to the public, and we have already seen what Randle is capable off. He has the physical tools to emerge as an X-Receiver: He's big (6-2, 208 lbs.), quick, got great hops and hands. The factor that keeps Randle from being a true #1 X-Receiver is his work ethics (according to reports, he wasn't going to attend the Manning Camp), chemistry (was responsible for a number of INTs Eli threw last threw) and mentality (struggled to understand the complex option routes Gilbride had in his offensive scheme). He's got to get it all right in his head if he's going to step up and be that X-Receiver, so my question for Randle is can he develop chemistry with Eli so that their connections can be more synced with completions & TDs instead of INTs?

1. Will Beatty, LT, #65: Off all the Giants on the roster, this is the guy that I believe will have to step up the most. He got the big boy money he wanted last offseason, but did not play like one. He struggled in 2013, and his play was inconsistent. His performance was so bad that some analysts (and some Giants fans on here as well) are considering the Giants taking a LT at 12, presumably Taylor Lewan. Now if the Giants do take a LT in the draft is left to be foreseen, but Beatty is an athletic O-lineman who has played his best at the LT position. Eli needs to be protected, especially at his blindside where the duties of the LT is highlighted here since Eli is right-handed. The question for Beatty is can he live up to the money and expectation that he has been given by the Giants organization? Is he really the Franchise LT the Giants inked an offseason ago, or do the Giants need to take another direction and find a new replacement?

Well this is my top 5 list. Whether it's thread worthy or not is based on your opinion, but this my opinion on the top 5 players who need to step up this season. Based on the rankings I have Will Beatty as the #1 guy who needs to step up the most. Do you agree or not? Feel free to make your own top 5 list of players who need to step up, I enjoy debating and would enjoy reading other people's opinion on this. Hope to get some feedbacks on this, spent an hour or two writing this up.

Also check out the poll above and vote on who you think needs to step up the most in 2014. Happy Debating
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

"How come Eli don't feed me the ball no more?"
    Don't know Larry. Don't know.

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Obviously we have no idea what McAdoo will do with this offense so it's a bit harder to rank who needs to step up the most.

That said, success or failure for this team will be determined in the trenches. Isn't it always?

If Beatty returns to high performer status, the offense will be leaps and bounds better than a year ago. If he plays like he did last year it won't matter much what offensive playmakers they bring in. He's key to the line.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Top 5 to step it up should be:
    Beatty
    Schwartz
    Walton (or whoever is at center)
    Snee
    Pugh

Whole season is on them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Top 5 to step it up should be:
    Beatty
    Schwartz
    Walton (or whoever is at center)
    Snee
    Pugh

Whole season is on them.
    And a good run game which I know they'd help but I think Jennings will really help Eli and pass protection etc we have Hillis as well and I think they're ok receiving options for RBs .

Also a 2nd WR ? We have Cruz and? ... Lol RR,JJ,MM .. All could do different things and have shown potential at least a few times to be good..

Otherwise I agree seasons all in the oline stepping up but Eli needs at least 1 more WR or we could give him all the time in the world but it won't matter as much ..

vCash
    In the end imo it's Eli who should step up. Our roster ain't that talented, so if we want to make the playoffs we have to have Eli approaching Pro Bowl, SB-run level of play... I know, part of Eli's poor play last 2 seasons was due to a horrible O-line but still he was performing very sub-par himself too.

vCash
    1. Eli Manning-

Obviously Eli's struggles last year were heavily documented, examined, discussed and broke down from fans to analyst alike. Most Giant fans know a large part of these struggles were due to a weak o-line and poor play from the skill positions. That being said, Eli must return to form and will this team to being competitive and a contender. Of course we need to see improvements with the O-line and hope that at least two other skill players emerge this year to take the load off of Cruz. Either way Eli must do his best to forget last year, drop any bad habits he may have picked up from being tossed around like a rag doll, and help the entire offense transition into this new era with a new scheme and a new coordinator. This is Eli's team, this is Eli's offense. I believe this year is very important for the Giants and Eli's legacy specifically. Eli has to prove the doubters wrong for a third time!

2. Will Beatty-

There is no question Beatty has to anchor this o-line and live up to his contract. It is going to be exponentially harder for Eli to return to his Super Bowl MVP ways without help from his O-Line, Beatty specifically.

3. JPP-

With the loss of Tuck, (and Osi the year before that) it is imperative JPP returns to his 2011 form. We have more question marks at this position than we have had for the better part of the last decade. I know the secondary and line backing core was beefed up drastically this off season. And we are still waiting on this years very talented draft class, but a stout defensive line that consistently terrorizes the opposing teams quarterback with only using 4 rushers could be the difference between a top 3-5, or a top 10-15 defense.

4. Rueben Randle-

The Giants will need one of Randle, Jernigan, or Manningham to have a breakout year. Even if we land a great receiving talent with the 12th over all pick. The reason I have chose Randle is obvious. He is the more talented out of the three and has the most potential. Manningham could be a sleeper but he is coming off of serious injuries and I do not expect much. Randle showed glimpse of very impressive play last year. And with the new west coast schematics I see things coming easier to Randle. Hopefully this leads to better chemistry with Eli and a breakout year.

5. Rolle and Brown-

With the recent news of Will Hills off the field trouble and likely departure from the team we are really going to need Rolle to continue his high level of play. We are also going to need Brown to come back to form as quick as possible after last years season ending injury. This is number 5 on the list because the front office did a great job beefing up the secondary, that being said I was most excited for the progression of Will Hill. He could have emerged as the best player in the secondary and took the league by storm. So much for that.

We don't need Earl Thomas/Cam production but I hate to see the lose of Will Hill cause this secondary to not realize its full potential. Now realizing that full potential lies on Brown and Rolle.

* Obviously most of these thoughts would change if certain players are drafted.

This is very interesting. If all players mentioned do there thing along with a good draft we could be heading to the super bowl. I really think with a strong draft and all things mentioned going well we could have a very special year. On the other side of the coin, if just one of the 5 players don't turn it around or live up to expectations we could be an 8-8 team. Talk about drastic.

vCash
    got to give props to gregd111. That was one well-written post
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

"How come Eli don't feed me the ball no more?"
    Don't know Larry. Don't know.

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Geoff Schwartz, JD Walton (or whoever plays C), and Snee (or whoever plays RG) all need to step up more than anyone else on this team. Eli is immobile. Protect his pocket and let him move in that small area. If those 3 are successful, Beatty will improve being able to run guys past the top of the pocket as Eli steps up. Those 3, the interior 3 OL, the season rests on them more than anyone, IMO.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Geoff Schwartz, JD Walton (or whoever plays C), and Snee (or whoever plays RG) all need to step up more than anyone else on this team. Eli is immobile. Protect his pocket and let him move in that small area. If those 3 are successful, Beatty will improve being able to run guys past the top of the pocket as Eli steps up. Those 3, the interior 3 OL, the season rests on them more than anyone, IMO.
    .Sean., the question to you would be: from what you have seen, do you think this trio (if healthy) can do it?

I miss our dominating D.

vCash
    I do think they can, but I'm not confident about it. I'd love one more lineman in the first two rounds (any position because Pugh/Schwartz/Jerry have all played guard and tackle and I think Beatty can kick inside also)

I made a bold prediction that Snee would shock the world and return to form. The team seems to like Walton and I think he can be good if he's healthy again and protected on both sides. I'm not sure I'm as high on Walton as they are, but I also don't know too much about him. I like Schwartz too, he can get a little heavy footed in pass pro change of direction so thats a bit of a worry, but overall we probably got the best guard in FA and an upgrade over Boothe and Brewer, so there will be good improvement. Its an iffy area, JD Walton health and development, Snee health and deterioration at this point, Schwartz in a new scheme and new position. There's reasonable concern and I still don't think they did enough despite adding Schwartz, Walton, Jerry, and Brown (who if all reach their potential could form a formidable offensive line on their own +1 more) - so I hope to see some talent added in the first 2 days of the draft.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    I think the big issue here is that Snee, Walton and Beatty are now all injury risks and we could run into the same problems as last year.

vCash
    1. Eli - He sucked last year. He played like a brainless twit rookie. He still hasn't gotten it through his pea brain that he isn't a gun slinger. When he tries to be, he sucks and is an INT machine. Manage the game. That is when he's at his best.

2. JPP - He's sucked the last 2 years. Injuries or not. He needs to be a player again. Right now, he's a scrub. He has to prove himself a top DE again.

3. Damontre Moore - He should have played a lot last year but Coughlin is a stubborn mule. Moore needs to prove that Coughlin was as dumb for not playing him as he was Jernigan.

4. Randell - Giants need a WR with height to step up and he's basically the only one.

5. Wilson - With an OC that actually knows how to call a screen pass and execute it, Wilson should have a good chance to prove he's a dangerous receiver out of the backfield.

I don't think Hankins has to prove anything. He proved last year he could play when he got a chance. Beatty just sucks so I don't expect him to do anything. He's a sissy. The Carolina game showed that. Robinson, well, he just blows. He's 25 and hasn't done one thing in this league. Expecting him to do anything is absurd.
    Last edited by cespedesrules; 04-27-2014 at 07:36 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cespedesrules View Post
    1. Eli - He sucked last year. He played like a brainless twit rookie. He still hasn't gotten it through his pea brain that he isn't a gun slinger. When he tries to be, he sucks and is an INT machine. Manage the game. That is when he's at his best.

2. JPP - He's sucked the last 2 years. Injuries or not. He needs to be a player again. Right now, he's a scrub. He has to prove himself a top DE again.

3. Damontre Moore - He should have played a lot last year but Coughlin is a stubborn mule. Moore needs to prove that Coughlin was as dumb for not playing him as he was Jernigan.

4. Randell - Giants need a WR with height to step up and he's basically the only one.

5. Wilson - With an OC that actually knows how to call a screen pass and execute it, Wilson should have a good chance to prove he's a dangerous receiver out of the backfield.

I don't think Hankins has to prove anything. He proved last he could play when he got a chance. Beatty just sucks so I don't expect him to do anything. He's a sissy. The Carolina game showed that. Robinson, well, he just blows. He's 25 and hasn't done one thing in this league. Expecting him to do anything is absurd.
    Who?

vCash
    I believe the Jerry signing will be key, he can play at just about any position on the line and he's good.. Had no market cause of bully gate and we got him for nothing but he was good in pass protection in Miami and although he struggled in run blocking the pass protection is more important..

From what my buddy who's a Phins fan told me of him, he's very solid and we shouldn't worry about the run blocking.. Miami's run game and scheme is terrible and if you plug him in a better situation he'll be better..

If my buddy is right we got a absolute steal assuming he doesn't get suspended and get in more trouble which I seriously doubt he will here, not with Coughlin and not with Snee.. Plus I wouldn't mind if he beat up on Beatty a bit lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Who?
    Isn't that the lizard from Monster's Inc? Oh no, that's not right either.

I miss our dominating D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast