Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Mets call-up Bobby Abreu from AAA Vegas

With the Mets desperate for offense, the team called-up veteran Bobby Abreu from Triple-A after Sunday's, 14-inning 4-3 win over the Braves.

The Mets announced he was expected to join the team before Monday night's series opener with the Cardinals at Citi Field. No corresponding move was announced.

Abreu signed a minor-league deal with the Mets this spring after being released by the Phillies. His contract has an opt-out if he was not called up to the majors by April 30

In 15 games with Las Vegas, Abreu is hitting .395 with four doubles, a home run and nine RBI.

That is attractive to a team that went into Sunday's game batting a National League-worst .227.

In 17 years in the majors, Abreu was a two-time All Star who is a career .292 hitter with 287 home runs and 1,349 RBI, though he hasn't hit over .255 in four years. The 40-year old rightfielder last played in the majors in 2012, hitting ,242 between stints with the Angels and Dodgers.

This winter, Abreu played for Mets' hitting coach Dave Hudgens in Venezuela. Hudgens said earlier this spring that Abreu's hitting style fits in well with the Mets philosophical approach. He also felt he would be a good role model for the Mets’ younger hitters.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Well this should be interesting.

I'm guessing he's a bench bat but I wonder just how TC plans to use him. Is he going to get regular at bats by being the guy who gives everyone else a day off?
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Tanned, rested and ready. Here we go!
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Well this should be interesting.

I'm guessing he's a bench bat but I wonder just how TC plans to use him. Is he going to get regular at bats by being the guy who gives everyone else a day off?
    I hope not. He'd be one of the few guys in baseball who may actually be as bad as Duda in the OF.

I definitely like Abreu...offensively. I'm just not sold on whether he'll give us enough offensive value to justify keeping him as a "PH-only" type guy. I'm all for giving him a shot. I'd have more confidence in him than anyone else on our bench.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Rusty Staub had a similar role for the 1983 and 1984 Mets.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Does Granderson have some options lol!! Ha
    We got this!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet:28350771
    Rusty Staub had a similar role for the 1983 and 1984 Mets.
    Dont forget 1985.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I got married in 1985. It was a forgettable year.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    "He fits in well with our philosophical approach"

Great. Because we're doing so well now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    I hope not. He'd be one of the few guys in baseball who may actually be as bad as Duda in the OF.

I definitely like Abreu...offensively. I'm just not sold on whether he'll give us enough offensive value to justify keeping him as a "PH-only" type guy. I'm all for giving him a shot. I'd have more confidence in him than anyone else on our bench.
    This. I don't know how much he has left at 40 years old but the guy does have a .396 career OBP and could be a solid pinch hitter imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet:28350974
    I hear you. My forgettable year was 15 years later.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Makes sense on every level. Might have something left in tank, or maybe taking the roids, we need some OF help, and it bets Puello back to playing every day. Can't knock this move

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I got married in 1987. best day of my life.

vCash
    Now THAT'S enviable.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    chris young is terrible so id imagine he is going to be the left fielder in about a month especially when lagares comes back

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast