• Bernier emerges as #1 goaltender

4 100.00%
  • Rielly's rookie season

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
    vCash

Biggest Positive This Season

With everything that went wrong, there were a few positives this year and was wondering what people thought was the most encouraging for the future, and why?
    If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

vCash
    Bernier emerging as a #1 goaltender. We spend the last 10 years trying to find a top goaltender to help us. Nonis deserves credit for the trade. I just wish he wasn't injured.
    Last edited by H-MYK; 04-19-2014 at 07:57 PM.

vCash
    I agree, I mean I still think we would have been fine with Reimer and if we didn't make the trade his head would have been in the right place. That being said, Bernier coming as advertised was great to see.

vCash
    1]- Bernier
    2]- Rielly
    3]- Kadri

I think we can all agree that the first two are sure-to-be studs if they stay healthy. Kadri, while having a very invisible season, was also a great positive. He didn't really impress on a nightly basis but that's expected in his first full season and the dreaded "Sophmore Slump" guys go through their second season in the league. Despite that, he put up 50 points without a consistent RW putting up points. It's not crazy to assume that if he had gotten anything, points-wise, out of Clarkson/Kulemin he could have cruised past 60 points. Something to look forward too. Although, as impressive and promising that is for the future, unless he can develop into something more than a 2nd line scorer, we aren't going anywhere (assuming that 1st line is here to stay). Kadri seems like the kinda guy who will step it up after a rough season like this, not to mention he will be playing for that huge contract that he wants. He might be looking at a 6 year $6 million contract if he hits 60 points next year, which is pretty possible depending on who his line mates are.

vCash
    Thatīs true about Kadri, but rather than blame everything gone wrong this season on his linemates, he has to get a lot better too to survive in the Top 6. He has to gain strenght on draws, become more committed defensively and also try to do something other than his signature toe drag move to the inside every now and then when heīs one on one. It worked once this season and resulted in a highlight reel goal, but he tries it every game and D-men started figuring it out long ago.

He needs to turn his offensive game from junior to NHL level, I guess, if he wants to ultimately become a player that makes other players better. And thatīs what the Leafs need at 2nd Center.

vCash
    Kadri is more of a neutral one for me.. Didn't step forward or back really for me and Carlyle handicapped his line hard by shifting wingers 2-3 times a game sometimes, and then never giving him the opportunity to improve on defensive zone faceoffs. I would say Bozak was more of a great surprise at center. When he got $4 million a year I think we were all a little to super worried that it would screw us over, but the guy played great for the most part and scored some big goals. Not to mention being our best faceoff guy by a mile.

vCash
    Kadri completed his first full 82 with good numbers. The key is going to be how much better he can get by just maturing. Expectations for him aren't fair within the fan base sometimes. He was a positive for sure. Bernier is the biggest. JVR breaking out is another big one. Hopefully Gardiner can do the same on the back end next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Kadri completed his first full 82 with good numbers. The key is going to be how much better he can get by just maturing. Expectations for him aren't fair within the fan base sometimes. He was a positive for sure. Bernier is the biggest. JVR breaking out is another big one. Hopefully Gardiner can do the same on the back end next year.
    I would love for him to prove me wrong in my stance that we should trade him. He has the talent (unlike Franson) he just needs a spark or somebody who can get through to him that he has to pick his spots and play a smarter game. I agree about Kadri too, he did have a productive season, I just wish the coaching staff could trust him in the defensive zone so we don't kill the flow of the shift with a line change right after the draw.

vCash
    Contract talks could get ugly with Gardiner this summer if he is indeed comparing himself to top D men, which Carlyle kind of got at without naming names at the year end presser. There's a lot of roster decisions to be made this summer when you take a good look.

vCash
    We already know Franson's is gonna get ugly, hopefully Reimers issue gets resolved quickly, but yea Gardiner, Bernier and Kadri (extension talk) and then all of the UFA's, it's going to be tough for Nonis to make it work.

vCash
    Bernier has one more year on his current deal I think. He could cash in with a good year. Reimer we probably trade his rights this offseason.

vCash
    ^ ya sorry I meant with Bernier's extension talk in the same boat as Kadri. I would love to see Reimer signed to a 2 year deal before we move him, up his value by eating a year of free agency. I doubt he'd do it after the way he was treated here but maybe Burkie will pony up something nice.

vCash
    Reimers as good as gone, they'll trade him and let him negotiate with a new team. His value is lower than ever now due to the end of the year. We might get a 2nd rounder and a C prospect at best. If we package him in a bigger deal to obtain something of value I think that's the best way to go.