Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Pirates aquire Ike Davis from Mets

Like the title says no word on what we gave yet.
    Update we gave Zach Thornton and a player to be named later.

Is this a good deal for us?
    Last edited by jrm2054; 04-18-2014 at 07:06 PM.

vCash

This was inevitable. The Mets had Davis and Duda who are basically the same. I like the pickup Thornton could be a solid major league reliever and PTBNL is probably nothing.

Davis is a good power bat. He is coming off a horrible year but finished strong. Also worth watching is his Valley Fever. It seemed to really affect him. I'm no medical expert and don't know his specific condition but Valley Fever is usually something you only get once.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    They said the ptbnl is fairly significant

sent from Hogwarts using owlpost

vCash

Saw that after I posted. Has me a little concerned.

vCash
    Hope this isn't another Herrera and Black type of deal. We can certainly live without Thornton but it's the other piece that has me worried

vCash
    I just feel like Neal has been patient-enough that he wouldn't be careless and give up something too valuable. We'll see.

Ike and Gaby in a pure platoon is certainly not-terrible.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Thinking of the reason why we it might be a PTBNL:

1. The usual reason is a list of players the other team gets to pick from. The team takes their time and chooses from a list of 4-5 names. Usually this is a very minor player.

2. Another reason is the player can't be traded yet. In the waiver season this could be because the player is on the 40 man roster and didn't clear waivers but now the only reason would be because the player was drafted last year. Early reports are the player is more significant than Thornton. If we assume NH isn't an idiot we can eliminate Meadows and McGuire and this leaves us with Blake Taylor, JaCoby Jones and Cody Dickson as the most likely players.

3. The Mets have a player in mind but the player is currently injured and they won't a better medical record of him. Maybe someone like Barrett Barnes here.

vCash
    Mets fan here, we are thinking the PTBNL might be a 2013 draftee. So JaCoby Jones sounds pretty reasonable but we are hoping its Hanson. I'm leaning towards thinking its the former, but I don't really know.

Sandy has been pretty patient with trading for Ike. I doubt he would have dealt him for nothing considering any team could have had Thornton in the Rule V draft. Sandy would have been fine just sending Ike to AAA unless he was getting at least a guy like JaCoby Jones. My thinking is that Thornton was the throw in and the PTBNL is going to be the main player in the deal.

That said, Ike is a loveable ****** player. He's shown much more plate discipline last year and has certainly been walking a bunch. In a strict platoon, he can be a very good player. Personally I think a lot of his problems are mental and I think he could blossom in Pittsburgh. That said for now he's a project platoon player with upside. I hope he does well.

vCash

I highly doubt it would be Hanson. Huntington waited all offseason and didn't make a panic move. No reason to think he'd do so now.

Jones is possible and would probably be a reasonable price.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    I highly doubt it would be Hanson. Huntington waited all offseason and didn't make a panic move. No reason to think he'd do so now.

Jones is possible and would probably be a reasonable price.
    The Pirates took on some salary with Ike, so the prospect coming back will be in the lower than single digits.. Think Nick Buckner, Shane Carle or Justin Topa level player..

vCash
    Thoughts on the fact that the PTBNL is Blake Taylor? Seems reasonable. Projectable LHP that's years away from the show. That said, he was Pittsburgh's 2nd round pick last year. As a Met fan, I'm happy with the return.

vCash
    Taylor was probably one of our Top 15 prospect and likely our top LHP prospect. He was what I considered the high water mark for this deal so I'm OK with it but it does leave a bit of a bad taste. What that means is it is probably a fair deal over all.