Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who far will the Rockets go in the playoffs?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • First round

0 0%
  • Second round

3 60.00%
  • Conference finals

1 20.00%
  • Finals

0 0%
  • NBA champions!!!

1 20.00%
    vCash

Rockets playoff prediction thread

Despite the fact that we're less than three days away from the first Rockets playoff series with home court advantage in a long time, the forum seems a little dead the last few days. Maybe it's because we've know who they were facing for a long time, but we've got to get some discussion going.

To get into the playoff season, let's discuss our predictions for how this team will perform in the postseason. Will they get past Portland? Will they exceed all of our expectations and beat San Antonio? Could they actually make a Finals appearance?

Also, who do you see stepping up in the playoffs and who could be underwhelming? Are there some rotational guys you see playing a big role? And who could be an X-factor in these playoffs?

The playoffs are here gentlemen. And this is probably the best Rockets playoff team we've seen since the mid-90s. Let's get pumped!

vCash
    Well, we are as dangerous as any team in the league, but also more flawed than the top teams. I am worried about being out coached, but we have the talent to win dispite that.

I can see Troy Daniels playing the Von Wafer"come out of nowhere and be a spark off the bench".
    I think everyone continues to play about the same; hopefully Garcia/Casspri decide to step it up.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Second round to WCF.

vCash
    I'm pumped. I can honestly see the first round going either way and the second round, too. But honestly, I'd take the Trailblazers, Mavericks and Spurs over everyone else and those are the only three possibilities. If the Rockets get to the WCF, I'd imagine the Thunder (or Clippers) making quick work. But even getting to the WCF will be a great milestone in their first year.

vCash
    50-50 chance we make it to the wcf. I think a series with the spurs will go to a seventh game.

They can't just turn it on when they want to. They will find that their stars are old. And ours are young and fresh. That being said, it's also possible they will blow us out, while I see practically no chance that we win in 4-5 games.

Portland? Don't make me laugh. (Refs want houston to win and that'll guarantee us a meeting with spurs).

Sadly, I will be in France for the first round and probably won't be able to catch any games.

vCash
    This is what we've been waiting for. This is definitely the best Rockets' Playoff team I've seen in my life.

Western Conference Playoffs will be amazing. So many good teams, I wouldn't be so surprised if any of the top teams get upset, obviously including Houston. Portland isn't a deep team and this could be a huge factor in the series considering we lead the league in fouls against. But when their offense is hot and hitting threes, they're really hard to stop. But their good offense also comes with a really poor defense. We averaged close to 115 points against them.

We need to find a way to conatain Aldridge. He averaged 27 and 15.5 in 4 games this season agaisnt us. Obviosuly Jones is still long ways to be an ideal defender, we can't take Howard out of the paint and we can't double team because of all the shooters. Beverley did a good job on Lillard. And both Batum and Matthews weren't able to find rhythm from outside.

We also need some kind of production from our bench. Garcia, Hamilton or Casspi. One of those will have to step and hit some shots. I'm hoping for Garcia, because he's the best defender and he is also a veteran.

Well, if Aldridge played well against us, Harden was even better. 30 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists on 48%/45% (3.8 threes a game). And Howard? 25.5 and 13.5 on 63%.

My take is Rockets in 6. But it wouldn't surprise if we take them in 4 after winning the first two, if it takes 7 games or if Portland upsets us.

After that, if we meet San Antonio, I think we go home, after a really good 6 or 7-game series. They're just too good, great offense, great defense, great depth, great coach and lots of experience. If they get beat in the second round, in a really fought series, I'm counting this season as a sucess. But again, if Harden and Howard dominate, it shouldn't surprise many people if they beat the Spurs and go all the way to the Finals.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    This first series will certainly be an interesting one, because both teams have some glaring advantages and some significant weaknesses that the other can take advantage of. For Houston, Lopez and Matthews have simply not been able to stop Howard and Harden this season. They've pretty much done whatever they hell they've wanted to, and they've asserted their dominance offensively. Having Beverley defensively at PG to disrupt Lillard is a huge advantage as well and will certainly be a key factor to watch in this series.

For Portland, Aldridge and Matthews have killed the Rockets all season long. We've all had a good laugh at how bad Harden's defense has been, but if he allows Matthews to go off in this series, it will be no laughing matter. I'm also curious to see how McHale handles Aldridge. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go with an Asik-Howard lineup if Aldridge starts killing Houston on the perimeter. But I'm hoping it won't come to that and that Terrence Jones can stay in the game and have an impact on both ends.

I'd like to say Houston in 5, but Portland is tough to beat at home, so I'm going to say Rockets in 6.

As for the rest of the playoffs, assuming a Rockets victory in the first round, I think Houston has as good a chance to knock off the Spurs as anyone. But even with their success against San Antonio in the regular season, the Rockets are going to have their hands full. I think it would be a very good series, but one the Spurs ultimately win thanks to their postseason experience and superior coaching.

I'm not looking past Portland yet, though. I think Houston is a superior team, but the Blazers have some deadly 3-point shooters and they can beat anyone when they're hot.

vCash

Had to post it.

vCash
    championship

vCash
    If they come back from 0-2 against Portland, I'm changind my mind to championship as well.

vCash
    The Rockets need to win game 2. Parsons needs to be aggressive , the lane is wide open when they run the pick and roll with dwight.Seriously its literally wide open, take the mid range , a floater , kick it, or finish. If parsons make shots the rockets will be dangerous. He needs to know his role A SHOOTER AND DEFENDER . I think he's focusing on trying to be a scorer/vasifasilitator . Im not picking on Parsons but man if he can step it up on either end of the floor ; it would be a huge boost. I predict a good game4 from him and jones

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farren.louis View Post
    The Rockets need to win game 2. Parsons needs to be aggressive , the lane is wide open when they run the pick and roll with dwight.Seriously its literally wide open, take the mid range , a floater , kick it, or finish. If parsons make shots the rockets will be dangerous. He needs to know his role A SHOOTER AND DEFENDER . I think he's focusing on trying to be a scorer/vasifasilitator . Im not picking on Parsons but man if he can step it up on either end of the floor ; it would be a huge boost. I predict a good game4 from him and jones
    You're kinda contradicting yourself. I can't understand if you want him to be aggressive and drive to the baskett or if you want him to stay on the perimiter and just take threes.

If Harden isn't attacking, somebody from the permiter needs to do it, and Parsons is second best at it. Plus, he shot only 22% from 3 in the first three games.

vCash
    Portland in six

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cssdmark View Post
    Portland in six
    Today is huge. If they beat us, I think they could just as well finish us in the 5th. If we win though, I think Rockets in 6 is also a huge possibility.

vCash
    Despite Lin terrible play (which I predicted would happen in the playoffs) he isn't the problem. James harden isn't just struggling from the field he isn't playing defense at all .