Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Carmelo Anthony: ""At this point in my career, it's about winning."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...gency-decision

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Carmelo Anthony said on Thursday he'd like to re-sign with the New York Knicks this summer but first would need assurances that team president Phil Jackson can build a winner around him.

"I want to come back. But I also want to win," Anthony said after his exit interview with Jackson at the team's practice facility. "You know, me wanting to be here, if we can put ourselves in position to at least compete at a high level over the course of [the next contract], then I'm willing to stay here and I'm willing to ride or die for New York.

"You know, I've never once said I wanted to leave. I always said that I wanted to explore my options, I wanted to see what's out there."

Anthony plans to opt out of the final year of his contract and test free agency this summer.

The Knicks can offer Anthony a five-year contract worth $129,135,806. If he signs with another team, the maximum he can get is $95,897,372 over four years. Those numbers are based on the assumption Anthony, one of the top scorers in the NBA, will sign a max contract.

Anthony stressed Thursday that he wouldn't make his decision based on finances.

"At this point in my career, it's about winning," he said. "Nothing else even matters."

The Knicks, Anthony said, failed to meet his expectations this season. They finished 37-45 and in ninth place in the Eastern Conference, missing out on the playoffs for the first time in four seasons.

The team isn't expected to have much of an opportunity to re-shape the roster this summer. Even if Anthony signs with another team, the Knicks still will be over the salary cap thanks to the contracts for Andrea Bargnani ($11.5 million in 2014-15), Amar'e Stoudemire ($23.4 million) and Tyson Chandler ($14.6 million).

Some believe Jackson will allow the contracts of Bargnani, Chandler and Stoudemire to expire after next season and rebuild the roster in the summer of 2015. The Knicks may have significant cap space that summer. They also have a first-round draft pick in 2015.

Anthony, though, said he isn't interested in waiting until 2015-16 to build a team that can compete for a title.

"I don't know if I can afford to wait another season of losing," said Anthony, 29. "I really can't see that picture right now."

The 11-year veteran added: "I'm not at a point in my career when I want to rebuild. [Hopefully] we can work with the pieces that we have and Phil brings his knowledge of running a basketball program, organization, to this. Then we can have a lot to talk about."

The Chicago Bulls, Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers are among the teams expected to pursue Anthony this summer. Anthony was somewhat vague Thursday when talking about the possibility of playing for another team.

"You never know," he said. "Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. This is stuff that I'm going to have to sit down with my family and really figure [out]. This is not a decision that's going to happen overnight. It's going to take some time."

Anthony is coming off one of the best seasons in his career. The All-Star forward finished second in the league in scoring (27.4 point per game) and also averaged a career-high 8.1 rebounds. Anthony suffered a small tear in his right labrum in early April and sat out the Knicks' final two games. He has started to rehabilitate the injury, which isn't expected to require surgery.

Before finishing his session with reporters on Thursday, Anthony offered support for coach Mike Woodson. The Knicks' struggles this season have resulted in widespread speculation about Woodson's job status.

"If he needs my recommendation, whether it's here or anywhere else, I'll back him," said Anthony, who appeared to grow emotional when talking about Woodson. "I have nothing bad to say about Mike Woodson. I support him.

"For me as a player, I had some of my best years under Mike Woodson. So I would never have anything bad to say about Mike Woodson."

So i think Anthony is as good as gone....probably to Chicago or Houston.
    Last edited by FOBolous; 04-18-2014 at 01:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    we shall see.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Then come to Chicago if you are about winning.
    Cubs and Bears

vCash
    He also said he wants to stay as well. So who knows.

vCash
    he shouldn't be there... The knicks are the worst. That being said they should want him to leave. He is making top player salary but isn't even top 15 in the nba. They have no shot with him so they should start to rebuild.

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Bulls.

vCash
    Yeah the Knicks only option seems to be to wait for their current contracts to expire and Melo all but says thats not acceptable.

Not sure if he's leaving or not but this interview does make it sound like he's leaning towards leaving.

vCash
    Yeah it doesnt make sense, he says he wants to win now but he wants to stay with the Knicks. Well, the Knicks are going to be rebuilding now so you are not gonna win Melo, COME TO THE BULLS!
    Cubs and Bears

vCash
    If he leaves, so much for getting Phil Jackson. I don't even think he could turn that team around in one year. They will make the playoffs next season, but likely to be a first round exit (maybe second round). If that outcome gels with Carmelo's need for them to be competitive, he *might* stick around. But I think he's going to look at other teams and where they stand ahead of the Knicks right now, and go elsewhere.

Who the best in the league? You tell me...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEnNB4aSRs

vCash
    Chicago is the best place and fit for him.

vCash
    I see him staying, but if he leaves, it will be to chitown, he'll never go to the tough west, his only chance is chicago.

vCash
    If you see the actual interview he says he wouldn't want want to leave and that he wants to stay and if the Knicks would be competitive for the next 5 years he'd stay. He also says that he never said he wanted to leave he just wants to see his options and that he needs to really think about it because the grass isn't always greener on the other side. He did however say he's not at a point where he wants to wait a year or rebuild so we'll see what happens.

vCash
    He's leaving. No doubt. Drose/melo/Noah is nice.

Yall let me slip?!?!

vCash
    yeah,sounds like he's gone

vCash
    Carmelo low-iq chucker selfish cancer boring iso

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast