Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 MLB Draft discussions

Since the draft is only a couple months away, I would like to see what players do we want with our #5 overall pick?

For me, I really want Pitcher Tyler Kolek. Kid has 100 mph fastball and a nice repertoire of secondary stuff. He is my first choice.

vCash
    So many moving parts... So hard to project 18 year olds playing high school baseball. So hard to decide which 4th or 5th round talents the Twins will take with 2nd and 3rd round picks to save on the signing bonus....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSU Tony View Post
    So many moving parts... So hard to project 18 year olds playing high school baseball. So hard to decide which 4th or 5th round talents the Twins will take with 2nd and 3rd round picks to save on the signing bonus....
    I don't think the Twins are doing that anymore. They seem to be a little more risky now. Well, at least since 2012 anyway.

vCash
    You are absolutely right. They've taken power pitching arms and given out nice signing bonuses. The "old way," I hope, continues to be the old way.

vCash
    You are absolutely right. They've taken power pitching arms and given out nice signing bonuses. The "old way," I hope, continues to be the old way.
    Amen to that. But on the flip side of this, it helps to be picking in the top 5 for three years in a row. It seems to be easier to get a little more risky/aggressive than the old "its better to be safe than sorry" crap we were doing when we were winning.

vCash
    one thing they're apparently doing is considering power arms because a projected infield in the near future may not be as strong defensively as the intended usual.......Sano, for example, wouldn't be classified as a plus defender
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    That's a good thought, I hadn't put that together. I can't imagine the team would draft a high school or college arm with the thought "our infield defense will suck in 3 years from now so we need strikeout pitchers). It might just be a coincidence that our crappy infield (beyond Dozier) is paired with power arms nearly ready for the majors.

vCash
    Nick Gordon would be a very good pick for the Twins. Lead-off speed, great arm, decent defense, lots of offensive upside. He's a SS with a great pedigree.

vCash
    looks like he'd be there....and if he isn't, one of those stud pitchers projected top 3 likely is
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    If Gordon has speed like his brother... Yikes.

This is a pitching heavy draft. We all know how Ryan likes pitching. I would love for one of the top 3 arms in the draft to fall but I can't see two teams passing on one of the top 3 pitchers.

vCash
    Both the White Sox and Cubs (#3 and #4) want and need arms. Even if a position player is drafted at #1 or #2 I think the other (#1 or #2) would be pitching with the Sox and Cubs also going pitching.

We're a spot or two away from one of those top 3 arms. Who knows what they even turn into, we're all just assuming they are ranked correctly and develop as expected.

The MLB draft, more than any other draft, is a complete crap shoot.

vCash
    To be honest, I would be completely happy with any of the top five players in this draft( Rodon, Kolek, Aitken, Jackson and Gordon). I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Though if we had the number 1 pick, I would choose Aitken, with Kolek and Rodon just slightly behind.

vCash
    If Gordon has speed like his brother... Yikes.

This is a pitching heavy draft. We all know how Ryan likes pitching. I would love for one of the top 3 arms in the draft to fall but I can't see two teams passing on one of the top 3 pitchers.
    I agree. But Im almost positive if he is there, Gordon will be our pick. And It wouldn't be bad to have a "true" shortstop of the future for once.

vCash
    I have the same feeling about the twins and Gordon. Typically when I get this feeling the organization goes another direction. Then I get mad. Then a few years later they turn out to be right.

vCash
    Nick Gordon is the pick. Looks like the Twins got a really good one here. He knows what the life is like and should move up quickly. Looking forward to meeting him if he gets to Cedar Rapids.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast