Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Knicks Exit Interview

Melo

Carmelo: Phil Jackson's "knowledge and wisdom is something I could sit down and listen to all day long."

Melo on his future: "I want to come back. I want to come back. But I also want to win."

Melo says he doesn't know if he can endure 4 another yr. Says other situations may look better, but grass isn't always greener on other side

Carmelo suggests that he's considered waiting until next year to opt out. But thinks its better to be a free agent now instead of waiting

Carmelo says if it came down to the Knicks asking him whether they should keep Woodson, he'd back Woodson as a coach.

Carmelo called Woodson "almost a father figure." Said he's had some of his best playing yrs under him.

Melo said he's financially stable - "At this point in my career its about winning. Nothing else even matters."

Amare

Amare suggests that Woodson wasnt involved in exit interviews today -- just spoke w Phil Jackson and GM Steve Mills.

Woodson declined comment yesterday on whether he'd be involved in exit meetings. Now sounds as if he wasn't involved today.

Amare says he realizes that Woodson is under fire, but that he's learned more defensively under Woodson than any coach he's had.

Amare says definitively that he hasn't seen Woodson today; further evidence that Woodson wasnt involved in exit interviews

Tyson

Chandler says he wont talk with Carmelo this summer abt his FA decision. Says that's for Carmelo and his family to do.

Chandler: "I feel like teams with way less talent made the playoffs" over us

Chandler says he'd be in favor of a lot of things changing schematically, on offense and especially on defense.
    Last edited by Blitzace137; 04-17-2014 at 03:09 PM.

vCash
    More on Melo's part:

I want to come back, Anthony said Thursday at the Tarrytown practice facility. I want to come back. If me wanting to be here, if we can put ourselves in a position to compete at a high level over the course of five years, whatever that contract will be, Im willing to stay here. I never once said I wanted to leave. I always said I want to explore options and see whats out there.

source:
    http://nypost.com/2014/04/17/carmelo...nt-to-rebuild/

''Embrace The Challenge"

vCash

Exit Interview Thread

- Melo, Amare, and Tyson are the only ones who met with reporters afterwards.

- Woody seems to know his fate, he wasn't asked to conduct the interviews, it was only Phil and Steve. Woody was asked if he was a part of it and refused to answer. Said he wants his fate to be decided ASAP so he can move on.

- Melo said he would back Woodson 100% if approached. Seemed to choke up a bit when talking about Woody, called him a "father figure" and noted he played his best 2 seasons under him.

- Tyson didn't have much good too say and kept reiterating we need a winning culture and wholesale schematic changes. Said team underachieved big time compared to its talent level

- Amare seemed to back him as well - said he learned more defensively under Woody than any other coach (not surprising based on who his other coach was)

- Melo said he wants to stay, but wants to win, cannot go through another losing season if 2015 is the plan. Also said other situations might look better on the surface, but the grass isn't always greener. Said he is "embarassed" by not making the playoffs.

- Melo said again at this point the money doesn't matter

Chris Herring @HerringWSJ 1 hour ago
    Amare suggests that Woodson wasnt involved in exit interviews today -- just spoke w Phil Jackson and GM Steve Mills.
    Reply Retweet Favorite

Al Iannazzone @Al_Iannazzone 1 hour ago
    Carmelo Anthony sounded absolutely tormented about not being in the playoffs. Said he's been losing sleep.

Jonah Ballow @jonahballow about 1 hour ago
    "For me, I feel like I'm just starting to play my best basketball" -- @Carmelo Anthony at #Knicks exit interview

Jonah Ballow @jonahballow about 1 hour ago
    "It's motivating to me, it's inspiring to me" @Carmelo Anthony on @Amare Stoudemire's resurgence this season #Knicks

Chris Herring @HerringWSJ 57 minutes ago
    Amare says definitively that he hasn't seen Woodson today; further evidence that Woodson wasnt involved in exit interviews
    Reply Retweet Favorite

Chris Herring @HerringWSJ 57 minutes ago
    Amare says he realizes that Woodson is under fire, but that he's learned more defensively under Woodson than any coach he's had.

Scott Cacciola @ScottCacciola about 46 minutes ago
    Melo on $: "Yes, we play the sport to make money. Lets be quite frank. But at this point in my career, Im not concerned about the money."

Jonah Ballow @jonahballow about 38 minutes ago
    "I'm a fast learner" @Amare Stoudemire joked about working out w/ Hakeem again. He added, "I absorb it & it becomes a part of me." (all time great STAT quote reiterated once again)

Ian Begley @IanBegley about 31 minutes ago
    Carmelo on returning to #Knicks: "If we can put ourselves in position to at least compete at a high level ... then Im willing to stay."

Chris Herring @HerringWSJ about 31 minutes ago
    Chandler: "I feel like teams with way less talent made the playoffs" over us

Al Iannazzone @Al_Iannazzone about 15 minutes ago
    Tyson Chandler said the Knicks need a "winning culture." He wasn't as effusive in his support for Mike Woodson as Melo was.

Scott Cacciola @ScottCacciola about 16 minutes ago
    Amar'e Stoudemire says the team needs "pros." Tyson Chandler says the team needs "winning culture."

Marc Berman @NYPost_Berman about 17 minutes ago
    Tyson Chandler says it's not about shuffling personnel but establishing a "winning culture.'' By that means championship culture.

Ian Begley @IanBegley about 9 minutes ago
    Carmelo seemed to be getting emotional when offering his support for Mike Woodson & talking about the disappointment of this season. #Knicks
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 04-17-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thats critical. Hes one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.

vCash
    what would be a contract we could sign him for without wanting to hang ourselves when hes declining?

vCash
    Damn you Blitz! Your thread ***** all over mine - merge 'em or delete mine.

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thats critical. Hes one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Damn you Blitz! Your thread ***** all over mine - merge 'em or delete mine.
    lmao, I just realized you made the same thread, I'll merge it.

vCash
    If we can somehow convince melo to opt out next year that would just be amazing!

if not we need to convince him to sign to an 11, 12 mill dollar deal in the first year with major increases after, that will give us and extra 7, 8 mill in salary cap for 2015

vCash
    Melo has put us a crossroads. Build a team that can win next year and scrap 2015 or say goodbye to Melo, maintain our flexibility, probably suck balls next year, get a nice pick and go hard after FA's the next season. If done properly, I can jive with either one...

vCash
    Melo has put us a crossroads. Build a team that can win next year and scrap 2015 or say goodbye to Melo, maintain our flexibility, probably suck balls next year, get a nice pick and go hard after FA's the next season. If done properly, I can jive with either one...
    If Melo goes then you can kiss Chandler goodbye also as he would ask for a trade, if that occures then right then and there will Phil be up ***** creek on how to salvage what's left of this team and change it around.

IF NY loses Melo and Chandler ask out of NY then it makes going to NY look bad even with Phil there and it will require more effort to attempt to bring in new player's in the future.

I can deal with either or as you said, but the quicker solution is attempting to keep Melo and make the adjustments to ride out another season while letting the other 3 big contracts just fall off the books.

If Phil can't move those big contracts the best that can be done is the minor adjustments and ride with the same group next season, as long as they get a PG to run the show.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    ― Albert Einstein
    I will be the first to admit that I am a pessimist by nature. It is, after all, the wisest way to be. We pessimists have everything to gain, whereas optimists have a fifty-fifty chance of being disappointed.
    ― Tamar Myers
    Don't let them drag you down by rumors just go with what you believe in.
    ― Michael Jordan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justcallmetm View Post
    If Melo goes then you can kiss Chandler goodbye also as he would ask for a trade, if that occures then right then and there will Phil be up ***** creek on how to salvage what's left of this team and change it around.

IF NY loses Melo and Chandler ask out of NY then it makes going to NY look bad even with Phil there and it will require more effort to attempt to bring in new player's in the future.

I can deal with either or as you said, but the quicker solution is attempting to keep Melo and make the adjustments to ride out another season while letting the other 3 big contracts just fall off the books.

If Phil can't move those big contracts the best that can be done is the minor adjustments and ride with the same group next season, as long as they get a PG to run the show.
    Chandler has callout this team, coach, and melo way too many times than I care for. I'm actually ok with trading him for a solid PG or for a pau gasol
    "Teamwork makes the Dream work"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justcallmetm View Post

Agreed, the only things I can think of are going hard after guys who are expiring next year or dump every asset have into a blockbuster, likely for an impending FA who is likely to leave like a Love, or a Rondo and essentially bringing 2015 a year early, and losing assets in the process. I don't like the idea #2 - we've been down that road before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpgmaster86 View Post
    Chandler has callout this team, coach, and melo way too many times than I care for. I'm actually ok with trading him for a solid PG or for a pau gasol
    I love the Gasol idea but Gasol would certainly demand a multi-year deal and unless we can get him on the super cheap, is that worth scrapping 2015 for?

I am sure Phil wants to "win now" as bad as anyone - he is not getting younger and I think he wants to contend during his 5 years here.

vCash
    Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik might be the easiest way to get more talent next year while keeping our 2015 plan intact. But swapping those guys for a massive expiring is essentially useless to Houston, right? Do we have to match the poison pill amount of 30M combined or would it be the 16M combined for those guys as far as a trade goes?

Who could we give them along with Bargs to make expiring salaries match?

Trade Chandler for Gasol, than swing Bargs + another small expiring for Lin and Asik? We get another defensive anchor, add some more firepower, Houston saves a ton of $$$, we get a former champion sidekick to pair with Melo, we become frontrunners for Marc Gasol 2015 in the process.
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 04-17-2014 at 04:00 PM.

vCash
    Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik might be the easiest way to get more talent next year while keeping our 2015 plan intact. But swapping those guys for a massive expiring is essentially useless to Houston, right? Do we have to match the poison pill amount of 30M combined or would it be the 16M combined for those guys as far as a trade goes?

Trade Chandler for Gasol, than swing Bargs + another small expiring for Lin and Asik? We get another defensive anchor, add some more firepower, Houston saves a ton of $$$, we get a former champion sidekick to pair with Melo, we become frontrunners for Marc Gasol 2015 in the process.
    While I am not a fan of either Lin or Asik, I would take both for Bargs and fillers, and no they don't have to match the 30 mil but the 16 mil combined from what I understand, they just get paid there normal 15 mil each next season as part of the contract.

The only good thing about the triangle is that anyone that is capable can bring up the ball and initiate the offense, If Lin is brought back the less he has the ball in his hands making decisions the better it will be. Lin is far better off the ball than on it and is not a very good decsion maker with the ball most of the time. The triangle will hide his flaws in that regard and let him shine for what he is a penetrator and a spot up shooter.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    ― Albert Einstein
    I will be the first to admit that I am a pessimist by nature. It is, after all, the wisest way to be. We pessimists have everything to gain, whereas optimists have a fifty-fifty chance of being disappointed.
    ― Tamar Myers
    Don't let them drag you down by rumors just go with what you believe in.
    ― Michael Jordan

vCash

If we could add Gasol, Lin, and Asik next year along with a new coach, I think that would be enough for Melo to stay.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast