Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

How would a first-round loss impact perceptions of Dwight?

Last year the Rockets won 45 games and lost in the first round.

This year, they won 54 games, a 9-game increase. They do have homecourt in the first round, but that is thanks, in part, to LMA's injury this year (Portland starting dropping games when he went down).

I got Houston winning this match-up, but what would a Houston loss mean for the perception of Dwight Howard? A team who lost in the first round add Dwight and still loses in the first round? Not much of an improvement considering the roster upgrade.

Would a first-round loss be on his shoulders? Or would people use McHale as a scapegoat?

And does this team more than an appearance in the second round to validate the addition of Dwight?
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    it wouldn't change anything for me personally.

Houston should beat Portland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    Last year the Rockets won 45 games and lost in the first round.

This year, they won 54 games, a 9-game increase. They do have homecourt in the first round, but that is thanks, in part, to LMA's injury this year (Portland starting dropping games when he went down).

I got Houston winning this match-up, but what would a Houston loss mean for the perception of Dwight Howard? A team who lost in the first round add Dwight and still loses in the first round? Not much of an improvement considering the roster upgrade.

Would a first-round loss be on his shoulders? Or would people use McHale as a scapegoat?

And does this team more than an appearance in the second round to validate the addition of Dwight?
    they would use McHale as a scapegoat if Dwight doesn't get the ball and its just perimeter play.

I wouldn't blame it on Dwight if he beasts in this matchup. i mean put up incredible numbers on good efficiency.

then it would have to be a mediocre Dwight showing up and them losing as when I would blame it on Dwight.

vCash
    Houston should win this series. If they don't, of course a lot of the weight falls on a star player (even more, in my view, since he was such a little girl these past few off-seasons.)

vCash
    He's sort've fallen out the radar so I don't think anyone would care. It would more-so tarnish Harden's legacy at this point.

vCash
    It is their first year together. While it wouldnt surprise people if they went on a run...the majority of people see SAS and OKC as the favorites. Next year there will be more pressure.

Plus it is tough to answer this without any insight into how Howard actually played in this loss.

vCash
    He has a big time scorer to take the pressure off. He has shooters. He has a backup. If they lose it will be because he didn't dominate defensively and for that he would take a big hit as the defensive anchor....

vCash
    It's funny really how in the big scope of things, nobody gives a crap about The White Howard that much anymore. I guess that's what happens when you act all bipolar and jump to 3 different teams in a span of 11 months.

vCash
    It depends on how they lose.

If Portland just shoots lights out from the perimeter (possible) then there won't be that much blame. It's like would anyone blame the Clippers if they lost to GSW because Curry and Thomspon go nuts? I wouldn't... you can't do much when you're contesting and the guy is just hitting bucket after bucket in your face.

If Houston loses because McHale makes terrible calls at the end of close games or puts bizarre line ups on the floor, then Dwight won't take as much blame. If Harden is a no show in multiple games, Dwight won't take too much heat.

As long as Dwight plays solidly I don't think he'll get too much blame, especially with this being his first year in Houston. I'm sure Barkley and Shaq will go ballistic for him not "taking over", but blaming a guy who's been clearly playing worse over the last 3 years vs his time in Orlando for not playing at a MVP level isn't something most fans will hold too much against him.

Now if Dwight plays like crap, expect the media to go nuts on him. As for fans, outside of Lakers, Houston and Orlando fans, I think most of the NBA fans are somewhat indifferent.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    I think you overrate the impact of injuries, Portland was likely to free fall from their 3rd seed anyways, it was evident in their level of efficiency. Maybe they hang on but its not like Houston didn't suffer injuries too, the better team secured the better seed IMO. With or without HCA, I would have favored Houston.

I dont know what a first round loss would do to his public perception but its clear hes improved the teams title chances. I would go into next year with high confidence in that team but the haters would definitely have a field day.

The West is so stacked, that you can be a contender and lose in R.1 depending on the matchup.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    I don't think so. Howard has made the Finals as THE GUY so its going to take more than one upset with a super-young team in its infancy to change perception of him as a playoff performer.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    I don't think so. Howard has made the Finals as THE GUY so its going to take more than one upset with a super-young team in its infancy to change perception of him as a playoff performer.
    In a horrendous year for a horrendous conference, yes. Now he's in the West, and judging by his mouth, he should be able to hang with the big boys; I'll be judging him accordingly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    Last year the Rockets won 45 games and lost in the first round. This year, they won 54 games, a 9-game increase. They do have homecourt in the first round, but that is thanks, in part, to LMA's injury this year (Portland starting dropping games when he went down).
    Where's the note about Dwight and Beverley getting hurt at the same time and missing significant games down the stretch? If those guys don't go down and miss the bulk of the last 10-12 games of the season, Houston's record wouldn't have been remotely close to Portland's.

How Dwight should be judged has little to do with the team's performance and more to do with his individual performance. If Houston advances and he plays like crap, he should be criticized. If they don't advance, but he plays incredibly, he should be praised.

Unfortunately, most fans aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, so that's not how it's going to go down. If they get past the first round, no matter how he plays, it will be considered a success. And if they don't, it will widely be considered a failure. But this is the first year of many that this core will be together, they're playing in an insanely deep and talented conference and one bad series does not make the signing a poor one.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 04-17-2014 at 02:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    you failed to mention that Houston won 9 more games this year and just a substantially better basketball team.
    lol. he mentions it in the next line. When I break down quotes this way, I try to keep in mind the next quote in line. Its like interrupting someone in the middle of their point when you ignore context.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    lol. he mentions it in the next line. When I break down quotes this way, I try to keep in mind the next quote in line. Its like interrupting someone in the middle of their point when you ignore context.
    I did indeed **** that up. I went back and edited my point, but everything else I said still stands. Houston is unquestionably a better basketball team this season than last year and neither Dwight or this team should be deemed failures because of a single playoff series in their first year together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast