Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: The future is...

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Limitless - No team with Anthony Davis can fail.

1 3.45%
  • Bright - The guards could gel and this team has offensive firepower.

15 51.72%
  • Dim - They might be a bubble team but they need to trade at least one player.

6 20.69%
  • Dark - Overpaid players that do not fit well together. They need to rebuild this team.

3 10.34%
  • Foggy - I'm not sure. Could go either way.

4 13.79%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

New Orleans Pelicans - The future is... ?

The New Orleans Pelicans finished this season with a record of 34 wins and 48 losses. While not an impressive win total, they did improve 7 wins from the previous season while simultaneously dealing with a myriad of injuries to its most important players. One of the key players that the Pelicans lost to injury this season was Jrue Holiday. Holiday was a 2013 All-Star who averaged 18ppg/8apg/4rpg/2spg shooting 43%/37%/75% for the Sixers last season. He is also known to be an above average defensive player. To acquire Holiday, the Pelicans sacrificed Nerlens Noel (the 6th pick of the 2013 NBA Draft) and a 2014 1st round pick. Although a highly questionable trade, especially now, the Pelicans believed they were creating a young core around the following players:

G - Jrue Holiday (23)
    G - Eric Gordon (25)
    G/F - Tyreke Evans (24)
    F - Ryan Anderson (25)
    F/C - Anthony Davis (20)

Evans was the only player who even cracked 70 games. The problem is with Holiday-Gordon-Evans all making 8 figure salaries, and Ryan Anderson not too far behind, they will be near capped out for the foreseeable future.

The question this thread poses is:

How do you see the future for the Pelicans? Are they a team that just needs time to grow together (Grizzlies-Pacers-Blazers) or are they a misconstructed roster that needs to be broken up before they lose their young star?

vCash
    I voted "foggy." I think there are just too many variables to predict with this team right now. Davis is unquestionably one of the bright young stars in this league and as long as he continues to develop, they'll be an interesting squad to watch and will at least be competitive. But if Kevin Love has taught us anything, it doesn't matter how good your star player is in the West. It's how you build that team around him and whether or not he can stay healthy.

The fact that Davis is only 21 and hasn't played 70 games in either of his first two seasons is a tad concerning. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but his health is a huge variable we can't really know at this point. I could see him staying healthy and topping 1,000+ games in his career or I could see him dealing with injuries and struggling to reach 800. Plus, they've got to keep, which is easier said than done in a smaller market like New Orleans.

As for the rest of the squad, it's not great. The fact that they're paying $26 million in each of the next two years to Eric Gordon and Tyreke Evans makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit. I don't trust either of those guys at this point and both were bad contracts. I did actually like the Holiday contract, though, and if he can stay healthy, I could see him being a weak No. 2 for a playoff team in the West. And Ryan Anderson would obviously be an ideal offensive front court companion to Davis if he could stay healthy. His contract was also a good move from the franchise.

I actually really like that core of Davis, Holiday and Anderson on paper if they can stay healthy. But Gordon and Evans are such wild cards and their contracts have the potential to be killers over the next two years. IF they can stay healthy (a big if), I think this team as currently constructed has the potential to crack the playoffs as a 6-8 seed the next two years. But I can't see them doing substantially better than that unless Davis turns into the second coming of Tim Duncan.

vCash
    Bright only because Reke has been awesome after the ASB and I'm falling into the Reke trap again. I think if they do a 2 guard thing with Reke/Holiday (bring Gordon off the bench instead or trade him if they can) and do a Dallas type 2 PG thing, they can be dangerous. I'd let Reke do more handling since he's a worse spot up shooter, but isn't the turnover machine Holiday is. Just really need a C and to trade Gordon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone:28331840
    I voted "foggy." I think there are just too many variables to predict with this team right now. Davis is unquestionably one of the bright young stars in this league and as long as he continues to develop, they'll be an interesting squad to watch and will at least be competitive. But if Kevin Love has taught us anything, it doesn't matter how good your star player is in the West. It's how you build that team around him and whether or not he can stay healthy.

The fact that Davis is only 21 and hasn't played 70 games in either of his first two seasons is a tad concerning. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but his health is a huge variable we can't really know at this point. I could see him staying healthy and topping 1,000+ games in his career or I could see him dealing with injuries and struggling to reach 800. Plus, they've got to keep, which is easier said than done in a smaller market like New Orleans.

As for the rest of the squad, it's not great. The fact that they're paying $26 million in each of the next two years to Eric Gordon and Tyreke Evans makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit. I don't trust either of those guys at this point and both were bad contracts. I did actually like the Holiday contract, though, and if he can stay healthy, I could see him being a weak No. 2 for a playoff team in the West. And Ryan Anderson would obviously be an ideal offensive front court companion to Davis if he could stay healthy. His contract was also a good move from the franchise.

I actually really like that core of Davis, Holiday and Anderson on paper if they can stay healthy. But Gordon and Evans are such wild cards and their contracts have the potential to be killers over the next two years. IF they can stay healthy (a big if), I think this team as currently constructed has the potential to crack the playoffs as a 6-8 seed the next two years. But I can't see them doing substantially better than that unless Davis turns into the second coming of Tim Duncan.
    Would you try and trade Gordon or Evans?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadds The Gr8:28331881
    Bright only because Reke has been awesome after the ASB and I'm falling into the Reke trap again. I think if they do a 2 guard thing with Reke/Holiday (bring Gordon off the bench instead or trade him if they can) and do a Dallas type 2 PG thing, they can be dangerous. I'd let Reke do more handling since he's a worse spot up shooter, but isn't the turnover machine Holiday is. Just really need a C and to trade Gordon
    Wouldnt Reke be better as the super sub? He loves playing with Morrow and can really hog the rock with scrubs around him.

vCash
    They are set up as well as anyone for the modern game, if they stay healthy and grow a bit they can be title contenders for several years.

vCash
    if jrue comes back healthy and evans and davis continue to play awesome basketball they have a chance to be really good for a while.. in the east they would be a playoff team..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson:28332359
    if jrue comes back healthy and evans and davis continue to play awesome basketball they have a chance to be really good for a while.. in the east they would be a playoff team..
    But they arent in the East. Can they breakthrough in the loaded West?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiSox219:28332291
    They are set up as well as anyone for the modern game, if they stay healthy and grow a bit they can be title contenders for several years.
    You think Jrue-Gordon-Evans can play together?

vCash
    They went all in on an odd core, I absolutely loathed the decisions they have made to build around AD. Much like Cleveland with LeBron, the cornerstone might be so good that they will become contenders anyway, but its a flawed construction. Not as bad as Cleveland but I feel like they should have welcomed 1 more losing season or at the very least, save some cap space to absorb deals that become available mid season or next off season.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Without question. I would try everything in my power to deal both of them if possible. Gordon may not be that difficult to move after next season, as he becomes a huge expiring contract, but there's another three years left of Evans, so they're likely stuck with him. If you're New Orleans, you need a Shane Battier type of guy. You need a veteran glue guy at SF who can defend and knock down threes. The Pelicans were second to last in threes attempted this year, and it's because that roster lacks shooters. Getting Holiday and Anderson back will certainly help spread the floor, but Aminu and Evans on the floor at the same time is pretty detrimental to your floor spacing.

vCash
    I think the key to New Orleans' success is going to be Jrue Holiday. He does a lot of things well, but still suffers from terrible scoring inefficiency. The guy's a solid finisher around the rim and a great perimeter shooter, but he needs to take more threes, take fewer mid range shots, get to the rim more and create far more free throw attempts. I still think he has the potential to be a perennial All-Star caliber guy, but if he can't stay healthy and he doesn't make those improvements in his game, he'll never be the No. 2 New Orleans needs him to become.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz:28332414
    They went all in on an odd core, I absolutely loathed the decisions they have made to build around AD. Much like Cleveland with LeBron, the cornerstone might be so good that they will become contenders anyway, but its a flawed construction. Not as bad as Cleveland but I feel like they should have welcomed 1 more losing season or at the very least, save some cap space to absorb deals that become available mid season or next off season.
    They did give him a ton of shooters... that doesnt seem to hurt...what specifically didnt you like?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone:28332415
    Without question. I would try everything in my power to deal both of them if possible. Gordon may not be that difficult to move after next season, as he becomes a huge expiring contract, but there's another three years left of Evans, so they're likely stuck with him. If you're New Orleans, you need a Shane Battier type of guy. You need a veteran glue guy at SF who can defend and knock down threes. The Pelicans were second to last in threes attempted this year, and it's because that roster lacks shooters. Getting Holiday and Anderson back will certainly help spread the floor, but Aminu and Evans on the floor at the same time is pretty detrimental to your floor spacing.
    Holiday, Gordon, Morrow, Ryan Anderson... isnt that enough shooting?

vCash
    Holiday, Gordon, Morrow, Ryan Anderson... isnt that enough shooting?
    It sort of depends on the lineup. If you've got Evans playing SG and not SF, who's your shooter at SF to counter Evans' poor perimeter shooting? They really don't have anybody. I suppose Morrow can play SF in a pinch, but I wouldn't want him getting substantial minutes there. And when you consider that Evans is the guy they're going to have to keep long term and he's far more productive at SG than SF, I think you have to build that roster around him playing that position.

But that's kind of the problem this team created when they went out and spent all that money on Holiday, Gordon and Evans. They essentially spent all this money on three combo guards without thinking about how they were going to fit together or who would play SF.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast