Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 273 1231151101 ... LastLast
    vCash

Official Cavs 2014 Offseason Thread

Hey guys, the trade/rumors discussion thread was getting a little long and I know PSD likes to keep threads under 100 pages so figured it was time to move on to a new fresh thread regarding the 2014 offseason. Feel free to go ahead and put any rumors/trades/FA signings/coach/FO updates into this thread moving forward.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    Ever since before the trade deadline in February, the Cleveland Cavaliers have been rumored to be making a big trade. While no big trade happened after the swap with Chicago that landed them Loul Deng, it appears that all the rumblings of a big move have been confirmed by owner Dan Gilbert.

According to FOXSports Ohio reporter Sam Amico, the Cav’s owner not only promised to change up the roster from what it currently looks like, but he also promised a major trade at some point this summer.

Per Sam Amico:

Gilbert is clearly agitated after a disappointing season that will end with the Cavs failing to qualify for the playoffs a fourth straight year. One source said regardless of who is named GM, “they will make a major deal” this summer. Read: The owner is not a fan of the Cavs’ roster as currently constructed.
    Fans will immediately assume this means Dion Waiters will be traded, which is possible but increasingly unlikely. There is apparently growing respect for Waiters on the roster and that could prevent a trade. There are plenty of names who could be traded this summer, including Kyrie Irving — however unlikely that may be — and Gilbert has found a way to make his team exciting at the wrong time of the basketball season.
    Arch, your worse nightmare of Gilbert meddling with the team might come to fruition. I honestly would not be opposed to them keeping AV and moving him, Bennett, Hopson, Gee if money is needed or just pickup his option, #9 (if that is the pick) and the Grizz or Heat's 2015 first rounder in a blockbuster trade. Keep the core of KI, Dion, Delly, Jack, Zeller, Karasev, and TT and then re-sign Hawes, Delly and Miles.
    Last edited by ottograham14; 04-17-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    The Cavaliers are expected to make a maximum five-year contract extension offer to Irving this summer. "It's a big deal for me and my family if they do offer that. It would be exciting, and I'll make the best decision for me and my family. That's what it's going to boil down to for myself." Cleveland Plain Dealer
    After the final buzzer sounded, after Kyrie Irving stuck around to hand out not just one pair of shoes, but several, at Fan Appreciation Night, the Cavaliers point guard at long last addressed the fact that he can sign a contract extension this summer. And he came the closest he has to announcing that he would like to remain in Cleveland. "I've been a part of this and I want to continue to be a part of this," he said. "We're making strides in the right direction, especially in this organization. I want to be part of something special, and I want to be part of something special in Cleveland. "I don't have a definitive answer to that right now, but it'll be something special. I can guarantee that." Cleveland Plain Dealer
    I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think the Cavs have to at least explore the idea of trading Irving this summer. His sometimes pouty attitude has soured enough people, and there are enough people in the organization who question whether or not he’s worth a max deal, that it makes sense to at least explore it. Akron Beacon Journal
    But I know the concept of getting him out of Cleveland has been very real since early in his second season. I also know there are those within the Cavs who question whether or not he’s worth a max deal. Add it all up and … anything is possible this summer. Anything. Akron Beacon Journal
    http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Gonna be a wild offseason.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    Sam Amico: Cavs C/F Spencer Hawes, an unrestricted free agent, says he's very open to returning. "Yeah, for sure. It's been a positive (experience)." Twitter @SamAmicoFSO
    Seems Hawes has actually enjoyed his experience in Cleveland. Has spent time around the city from what I hear and has gotten out to events like Indians games with teammates. Him and Delly will probably be priorities to re-sign if Griffin stays GM. Would probably take around 8-10 mill however to keep him and wonder if the Cavs will do that for a non-defensive big man which they have already in Zeller even though Zeller can't go as deep as Hawes can on the offensive end.

Matthew Dellavedova also is a free agent and the Cavs are expected to re-sign him. Cleveland Plain Dealer
    The two main free agents are Spencer Hawes and Deng. The Cavs want Hawes back. Assuming Griffin remains the general manager, he will make a strong push to keep the center. Griffin values big men who can pass and shoot. In fact, the Cavs have been asking Hawes to shoot even more. Cleveland Plain Dealer
    No way does Deng return. Nor should he.

Assuming he returns as general manager, one of David Griffin's first goals will be to find a veteran small forward for next season as Deng is a free agent. He will talk to Deng about returning, but the contract offer will be rather modest. A good guess is Deng will want to play for a veteran contender. Cleveland Plain Dealer

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    #Cavs Waiters with strong endorsement of Brown, "I'd like to see coach back. I don't think we need any more changes. Coach fits the team.''
    -M.S. Boyer

Also something that I found a bit interesting was TT didn't want to talk about the Mike Brown situation at all. This time last year he was talking up Byron Scott to anyone that would listen. Not saying that means anything one way or the other it's just interesting to see the difference a year makes.

vCash
    Also here's something I found interesting with Bennett. Here are his numbers from his last 20 games of the season:

16.9 MPG
    7.0 PPG
    4.2 RPG
    .451 FG%
    .360 3P%
    .644 FT%
    .517 TS%
    +1 plus/minus (Cavs were outscored by 64 in these 20 games)

Per 36:

15.0 PTS
    8.9 REB (2.7 OFF, 6.2 DEF)
    1.0 3PTM
    1.1 AST
    1.0 STL

These numbers all came while he was still struggling to find consistency with how he approached the offensive end as well as with his defensive rotations. He definitely showed flashes of the type of dynamic player he can be when healthy and in shape. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in the summer league.

vCash
    Another play I want to point out is Dion Waiters. I know I can admittedly be biased towards him at times but the leap he took after the all star break was really impressive.

Here are his numbers pre all star break:

14.3 PPG
    2.89 RPG
    2.7 APG
    .417 FG%
    .361 3P%
    .671 FT%
    .492 TS%

Post all star break:

19.3 PPG
    2.6 RPG
    3.7 APG
    .46 FG%
    .379 3P%
    .714 FT%
    .535 TS%

If he can build off of those numbers going into next year he's going to be a monster. The biggest thing he needs to improve is finishing around the basket and hitting his free throws. In regards to the free throws I'm not too concerned because in the past he's been around a 75% shooter and with his improved shot you'd think he'd be able to bounce back. He also needs to learn to keep his mouth shut when driving to the basket though. Constantly yelling "AYE!!!!!!" and "AND 1!!!!!" even if he's not getting touched isn't going to get him any calls with the officials. Overall though I'm really happy with the year he had. Knowing that he still has so much room for growth is scary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Arch, your worse nightmare of Gilbert meddling with the team might come to fruition. I honestly would not be opposed to them keeping AV and moving him, Bennett, Hopson, Gee if money is needed or just pickup his option, #9 (if that is the pick) and the Grizz or Heat's 2015 first rounder in a blockbuster trade. Keep the core of KI, Dion, Delly, Jack, Zeller, Karasev, and TT and then re-sign Hawes, Delly and Miles.
    To be fair I don't think Gilbert was meddling too much or as much as I may have alluded, he has just been kind of a honk in front of the media, making himself look like an idiot. Maybe it's perceived as meddling.
    If they can sign TT to a deal worth 5 million a year I'm open to keeping him, but he's not worth much more and I don't see TT accepting that sort of offer. So if look to package him in a deal. Or let him walk in two years.

vCash
    While nothing etched in stone and Dan Gilbert hasn't addressed it, am told the "feel inside" organization is David Griffin will be #Cavs GM.
    Once front office in place, source says, #Cavs will seek "honest opinions" from players & management on if they truly believe in coach.
    -Sam Amico

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    -Sam Amico
    A lot of job openings occuring recently so if they are going to make a move on Brown they better do it soon before the top coaching candidate names are gone to Minny, Utah, NY, etc.

I don't see anything Griffin did wrong not to warrant taking over the full time duties of GM either and he was already highly respected around the league from his time in Phoenix. I would lock him up before other teams start calling on him like Detroit apperantly. Seems the locker room took to him as well compared to Grant and whatever he was trying to sell the team. Griffin realized too that the team needed to spread the floor more by going out and getting a big in Hawes that could do that.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash

Griffin is meeting with the media to answer questions today at 11 am. Maybe we'll find out more on his/Mike Brown's future.

vCash
    Highlights:

» The thrust of Griffin’s analysis of the Cavaliers this season was this: “Right now, the collective isn’t working.” As much as “process” was Mike Brown’s buzzword when he was rehired last season, Griffin probably left today’s press conference and started hanging inspirational posters around the Q bearing the word “Fit.” He talked extensively about how fit will be one of the driving factors in figuring out exactly what the organization will try to do this off-season. We’ve talked about it here too; the Cavaliers’ 2013-14 season was a veritable master class in the importance of fit in building a competitive basketball team. Unfortunately for Cavs fans, it was a negative example.

» On whether he has made the case for becoming the team’s GM to owner, Dan Gilbert: “I’m not going to campaign for (GM job). I’m not running for mayor.” This is the standard answer to this question and, I believe, it’s similar to what Griffin said when he got the position on an interim basis back in February. That being said, Griffin exuded the right amount of confidence in his abilities, while not making excuses for the team’s struggles (“I didn’t get into this for 17-16. That’s not what we’re about. We need to get better.”). Is he confident because, as reported by several sources, his name has come up in connection with the Pistons and Knicks GM openings? Perhaps, but Griffin rejected those claims saying “You’re either all the way in or all the way out. I’m all the way in. This is where I want to be.”

» Asked about his interim job title and Brown’s job status, as well, Griffin replied “We are all under review.” Fox Sports Ohio’s Sam Amico tweeted his read on the press conference: as he reported earlier, it gave the feel that Griffin is staying, “but much less sure on Brown.” Griffin and Brown have never seemed like the perfect match. Griffin comes from the Phoenix Suns’ “aesthetically pleasing offensive basketball” tree, while Brown carved his defensive chops under Greg Popovich in San Antonio and Rick Carlisle in Indiana. Ask yourself: which system does this current collection of Cavs players more closely resemble? (Okay, okay… I know I said “aesthetically pleasing” but give me this for argument’s sake.)

» He distanced himself from Chris Grant’s focus on “asset-accumulation” saying that team now needs to be in “acquisition mode.” As he has ever since taking over the GM’s chair (one wonders if it is actually the same chair Chris Grant used), Griffin has looked at finally using some of CG’s “assets” to aid in the team’s slow climb toward relevancy. He parted with picks to get Spencer Hawes at the deadline to help spark a playoff push and, whether the team retains Hawes or not, Griffin indicated he would be similarly aggressive in addressing the team’s weaknesses, specifically length, shooting and basketball IQ (insert “anything else?” joke here) — all within the context of team fit. His list of team needs is not a surprise for anyone who has watched them play this season. They are a team who struggles to protect the rim, whose two best players are ball dominant guards who like to drive (thus necessitating shooters for them to kick out to) and most of who are still so young they’re still learning how hard they need to play to consistently win professional basketball games. So, yeah, Griff, shore all that up.

» And, of course, no Cleveland press conference would be complete without “This fan base deserves and demands that we deliver a better product.” Congratulations, David Griffin. You officially know your audience.
    http://www.cavstheblog.com/?p=25600

Really impressed with Griffin. I believe he will be named the Full Time GM and will start moving some of Grant's future assests like the Memphis and Heat picks next year to start obtaining actual contributions on the court. Will be interesting to see what he does do if he is the GM with the lottery pick this year and who he decides is the nucleus of this team moving forward. Need to realize if the young nucleus of KI, Dion, TT & CareBear are the four if one if not two are expendable and other young names like Karasev (glad he got no run this year), & Zeller.

I feel that either Dion, TT or the #9 pick are going to be involved in some fashion in a trade. Those are probably the best assets the Cavs have outside of KI and the only way he is getting moved is if he doesn't expect the extension offered. Need to get Gilbert to get his buddy Dumars to get with IT and have them sit down and work with KI & Dion and show them how two ball dominant guards can play off each other.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash

With the way Griffin talked yesterday about fit and the type of player he wants it didn't sound like good news for TT. If they can get anything of value for them I think Griffin will pull the trigger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    With the way Griffin talked yesterday about fit and the type of player he wants it didn't sound like good news for TT. If they can get anything of value for them I think Griffin will pull the trigger.
    I agree with both your comments. Time to clean up the mess Grant made. TT seems like a nice guy, he never gets injured, and works hard. He's just average at best. If we got him in the second round I would be all for keeping him and having him come off the bench. But he's going to be expecting 10-12 mill a year and it would be incredibly stupid to fork out that kind of cash for average at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    I agree with both your comments. Time to clean up the mess Grant made. TT seems like a nice guy, he never gets injured, and works hard. He's just average at best. If we got him in the second round I would be all for keeping him and having him come off the bench. But he's going to be expecting 10-12 mill a year and it would be incredibly stupid to fork out that kind of cash for average at best.
    Touching on what you're getting at I honestly think when it comes time for TT to hit RFA he's going to be shocked by how low he's valued around the league. It's a shame too, he's a good dude. Works his *** off, has improved his game a ton, just isn't quite what we need. If only he were a few inches taller and could play center. As it stands with his skill set he's a hindrance to us on the offensive floor and his inability to block shots or rotate defensively is a killer.

It's going to be a wild off-season.

Page 1 of 273 1231151101 ... LastLast