Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Cowboys' writer perspective on Phil Costa

INDIANAPOLIS -- New Indianapolis Colts center Phil Costa is somewhat a mystery. He started every game with Dallas in 2011, but his playing time started to reduce before he eventually lost his starting job in 2013. His role with the Colts is unknown. Costa will compete with Khaled Holmes for the starting position.

Is Costa a starter still or is he just a backup in the league.

I checked in with ESPN.com Cowboys reporter Calvin Watkins to get a little background on Costa.

Why did Costa lose his starting job to rookie Travis Frederick last season?

"He suffered a back injury in 2012 and never fully recovered. Ryan Cook took over the starting gig. Then last year the team wanted to upgrade the center position and selected Travis Frederick, a projected second rounder. Costa made the team and was healthy all year but didn't play. In the offseason, Costa was offered a pay cut and declined it. The team then released him."

Is Costa still a capable starter in the league?

"I think so. He's young enough to have a future in the league. Strong, stocky player with good lower body strength."

What type of guy is Costa inside the locker room and are there any interesting tidbits about him that fans should know?

"Costa is a quiet guy who gets along with his teammates. Costa went to Maryland and follows the Terps closely. He was engaged to Brooke Hogan and Hulk Hogan attended a game last year. The two broke up."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...-at-phil-costa
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    At least to me he sounds like a great player to battle a 2nd year unknown in Holmes for the starting spot. This may just be hopeful thinking, but Costa and Holmes both have something to prove and I expect to see a pretty nice battle for the starting job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    At least to me he sounds like a great player to battle a 2nd year unknown in Holmes for the starting spot. This may just be hopeful thinking, but Costa and Holmes both have something to prove and I expect to see a pretty nice battle for the starting job.
    I would still draft someone and have a 3 way fight for the job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider28 View Post
    I would still draft someone and have a 3 way fight for the job.
    I wouldn't be opposed to that. Probably not with our 2nd round pick as I think that should be more for secondary (hopefully a FS), but after that bringing in a 3rd center who might also be able to play guard wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to that. Proubably not with our 2nd round pick as I think that should be more for secondary (hopefully a FS), but after that bringing in a 3rd center who might also be able to play guard wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.
    Yeah I agree maybe with a 3rd. Hell we may be going to Florida State for both positions.

vCash
    Isn't Thomas Austin a Center? He could be the 3rd guy.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Isn't Thomas Austin a Center? He could be the 3rd guy.
    I still rather draft. I like Bryan Stork from Florida State in the 5th.

vCash
    Brooke Hogan? So he likes chicks with dicks?

vCash
    And it was just announced Phil Costa is retiring. Looks like were back to ground zero.

vCash
    Fernando Velasco anybody?