Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Hakeem Nicks finally has a jersey #

INDIANAPOLIS -- It looks like there won't be a debate over whether new Indianapolis Colts receiver Hakeem Nicks will be able to wear No. 88, the number Marvin Harrison wore during his 13 years with the team.

"I don't think we've quite figured that one out yet," Nicks said during a conference call last month. "Everybody knows I love those eights on my chest but we'll have to see how that pans out."

Nicks, who signed a one-year deal, will wear No. 14, according to Colts.com.

It's not surprising that Nicks had to settle for another number. You can't look at the No. 88 jersey and not think about Harrison. He spent his entire career with the Colts, totaling 1,102 receptions for 14,580 yards and 128 touchdowns. Harrison missed out on making the Hall of Fame this year, but he'll be in there sooner than later.

The Colts hope Nicks makes No. 14 a household name for them next season and possibly longer if he's able to have a bounce-back season. He did not catch a touchdown pass for the first time in his career last season with the New York Giants.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...r-harrisons-88

1. I still can't believe that Nicks is on the Colts.

2. 13 - Hilton.. 14 - Nicks.. 15. Brazill... 16. Rogers... 17. Whalen...................... 87. Wayne
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Dont like it. Like my WRs to have numbers in the 80s. Proffered him to get that 88. Dont know why its a issue. Marvins number isnt retired.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Colts2180 View Post
    Dont like it. Like my WRs to have numbers in the 80s. Proffered him to get that 88. Dont know why its a issue. Marvins number isnt retired.
    !st we all know its going to be retired and 2nd Mackey and Harrison both wore 88 and I mean no disrespect at all to Nicks but he will never be that level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Colts2180 View Post
    John Mackey wasn't happy when they gave Marvin #88 in the first place. I remember a few articles about it when we won the Super Bowl and them talking about his dementia and thinking it was an old highlight of himself and getting upset. I also remember his widow filing a wrongful death suit last year (or 2 years ago maybe) and not sure where they are with that, so at least in that instance we might be looking at a don't rock the boat and give his family more ammunition situation. That and while I don't agree with it like most of the players from that era as they never played in Indy, but we technically do still have the Baltimore Colt era retired numbers in Indy...and while Mackey's 88 wasn't retired with Baltimore with him and Marvin it should be.

Maybe they are waiting for Peyton to retire so they can officially retire 18 and 88 at the same time and maybe even with 87 retired as an option too, which is something I actually wanted to see when Marvin retired....maybe they want Marvin in the HOF or at least give Peyton the opportunity to be there for the ceremony.

So here is the 80-89 breakdown of numbers as I see it:
    80 - Fleener
    81 - Open
    82 - retired Raymond Berry
    83 - Allen
    84 - Doyle
    85 - Webb (future reserve contract so may be open)
    86 - Open
    87 - Reggie
    88 - Marvin and Mackey
    89 - retired Marchetti

We have 2 open 80 numbers and a total of 5 WRs in the teens....so even if we cut Doyle and Webb and force all WRs to wear 80-89 after that fact we will still be short a number.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    John Mackey wasn't happy when they gave Marvin #88 in the first place. I remember a few articles about it when we won the Super Bowl and them talking about his dementia and thinking it was an old highlight of himself and getting upset. I also remember his widow filing a wrongful death suit last year (or 2 years ago maybe) and not sure where they are with that, so at least in that instance we might be looking at a don't rock the boat and give his family more ammunition situation. That and while I don't agree with it like most of the players from that era as they never played in Indy, but we technically do still have the Baltimore Colt era retired numbers in Indy...and while Mackey's 88 wasn't retired with Baltimore with him and Marvin it should be.

Maybe they are waiting for Peyton to retire so they can officially retire 18 and 88 at the same time and maybe even with 87 retired as an option too, which is something I actually wanted to see when Marvin retired....maybe they want Marvin in the HOF or at least give Peyton the opportunity to be there for the ceremony.

So here is the 80-89 breakdown of numbers as I see it:
    80 - Fleener
    81 - Open
    82 - retired Raymond Berry
    83 - Allen
    84 - Doyle
    85 - Webb (future reserve contract so may be open)
    86 - Open
    87 - Reggie
    88 - Marvin and Mackey
    89 - retired Marchetti

We have 2 open 80 numbers and a total of 5 WRs in the teens....so even if we cut Doyle and Webb and force all WRs to wear 80-89 after that fact we will still be short a number.
    I did not realize how few 80s were left cause 87 is always gonna be Reggie. He should have went for 86 and got as close as possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider28 View Post
    I did not realize how few 80s were left cause 87 is always gonna be Reggie. He should have went for 86 and got as close as possible.
    Eh....they opened up 10-19 to WRs because quite a few teams were having this problem so why not use them?

There are more numbers in the 40s as those are mainly for TEs with some HB and FBs using them, so in all honesty if they wanted to keep the 80s for WRs they shouldn't allow TEs to wear them and put them in the 20-49 range with running backs. In all honesty any team with multiple retirement numbers in the 80s they will have a problem getting their roster compliant with 3 TEs and 4-6 WRs if they want them all in the 80-89 range.

The number of the guy never really bothers me or excites me other than if they had given him #18 or something.. Just for instance, nobody ever notices or cares that by NFL rules a center can be 50-59 while the rest of the OL should be 60-79 and shouldn't use the 50-59 range....the idea was that 50-59 would be for Cs 60-69 would be Guards and 70-79 would be Tackles....but I could care less that I saw #75 playing center last year. Most also play guard at some point in their career so they go with a 60 number....but honestly I have no clue who is a 50 number on the OL in the NFL or if anyone is nor do I care. I just see quite a few QBs that turned into WRs so it made sense to give the teens to the WRs.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 04-18-2014 at 03:07 PM.