Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Colts among the teams most interested in Michael Sam

As Missouri defensive end Michael Sam continues his preparations for the NFL draft, several teams have maintained contact with the Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year.

The Ravens are among the teams that have displayed the most interest in Sam since the NFL scouting combine along with the Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots, Indianapolis Colts, Cleveland Browns and New York Jets, according to league sources.

The All-American selection is poised to become the first openly gay NFL player after declaring his sexuality during a historic announcement earlier this year.

During the NFL scouting combine, Sam had a formal meeting with the Ravens.

"A trailblazer? Sam said during the combine. "I feel like I'm Michael Sam. I just wish you guys would see me as Michael Sam, the football player, instead of Michael Sam, the gay football player. There's a lot of support out there. I just want to do what I do, and that's play football."

Sam has been projected to go anywhere in the draft from the third round to later rounds.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,6202694.story

We're at the dead period of the NFL offseason so that means there's little to no news. Figured this is a situation to keep an eye on. Colts have the locker room that would embrace Sam.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    I don't mind Sam as a player and I don't think being gay has or should have any factor, I really like his outlook of just wanting to be Michael Sam and a football player as well. I also think that Sam would be able to somewhat fly under the radar in Indy as opposed to NY where he would have a camera on him 24/7 and probably protesters and supporters rallying before every game. We would probably have a few scatterings of church groups protesting and probably about the same amount of supporters yelling back...but I don't think it would be huge on either side other than maybe the first game where people with no life would probably be coming in from all over the place to show which side they stand on....probably a bigger issue at away games more than here. Maybe since Anderson University is a religious college we may see some issues, but probably just back page news stuff about some student group making signs and some bad comments on the news.

That said, what I don't see a reason for is getting another hybrid OLB project with Werner already on the roster along with Mathis and Walden plus Cam Johnson. That is even before factoring in any spot for a huge project in Adongo and special teamer Andy Studabaker.

If he is sitting there in the 6th or 7th round go ahead and pull the trigger because we are late in the "why not" rounds. I've seen him all over the board so who knows when he will go....but I don't think he should be a priority or anything and more of a last day selection because he is still on the board in a round where you don't expect much.

vCash
    Is it a compliment to our locker room to be linked to Michael Sam and Jonathan Martin or are they sneak dissin and calling us a bunch of *******?

vCash
    This would be the worst draft pick that I could ever remember. I rather pick Tony Ugoh again than get involved with this mess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider28 View Post
    This would be the worst draft pick that I could ever remember. I rather pick Tony Ugoh again than get involved with this mess.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but stfu. If Sam is can contribute and help improve the secondary, who cares if he is gay, straight, white, black. It bigots like you that make homosexuals feel intimidated about coming out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinals1226 View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion, but stfu. If Sam is can contribute and help improve the secondary, who cares if he is gay, straight, white, black. It bigots like you that make homosexuals feel intimidated about coming out.
    Odd I don't recall actually saying anything about him being gay your the one who brought that up. 1st there are bigger needs at FS, C, G, NT, CB, and WR than to go after another 4-3 DE that would have to switch to a 3-4 OLB. We need depth at OLB but need to address bigger issues. 2nd Our limited need at depth at that position does not also justify taking on what will be alot of media attention for a rotational player. Next time you want to tell someone to stfu why don't you actually formulate an adult argument first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider28 View Post
    Odd I don't recall actually saying anything about him being gay your the one who brought that up. 1st there are bigger needs at FS, C, G, NT, CB, and WR than to go after another 4-3 DE that would have to switch to a 3-4 OLB. We need depth at OLB but need to address bigger issues. 2nd Our limited need at depth at that position does not also justify taking on what will be alot of media attention for a rotational player. Next time you want to tell someone to stfu why don't you actually formulate an adult argument first.
    It was implied with the attitude of your post and others you've made in the past.

A good pass rush improves a weak secondary. Mathis is 33 and isn't getting any younger. The Colts are still looking for a true pass rushing linebacker, something that Sam excels at. He has great size and is very similar to Elvis Dumervil, a player quite a few posters advocated to sign. The defense needs talent and young players who can fill the position for years to come.

Again, the media attention? Who cares about the media attention. You're bringing up his homosexuality, again. The only ones that care about the attention are the ones who cannot get over the fact a gay man is no different than a straight man. Racism and discrimination still exist because people cannot get over their insecurities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinals1226 View Post
    It was implied with the attitude of your post and others you've made in the past.

A good pass rush improves a weak secondary. Mathis is 33 and isn't getting any younger. The Colts are still looking for a true pass rushing linebacker, something that Sam excels at. He has great size and is very similar to Elvis Dumervil, a player quite a few posters advocated to sign. The defense needs talent and young players who can fill the position for years to come.

Again, the media attention? Who cares about the media attention. You're bringing up his homosexuality, again. The only ones that care about the attention are the ones who cannot get over the fact a gay man is no different than a straight man. Racism and discrimination still exist because people cannot get over their insecurities.
    Once again I dont recall condeming anybody for their lifestyle. I know many people want to smack others over the head with the Bible and forget the verse "Judge not or ye shall be judged" so I rather not cast stones as I am far from perfect and thats the way I was raised. I was raised in church and do believe a certain way but I was also taught that you never judge and I believe that so I am not judging him at all on him being gay.

That being said we are still trying to get Werner adjusted to it so yes I agree more pass rush help is needed I would just rather take a guy who is already used to being a 3-4 outside backer and not have to convert him cause remember a 4-3 DE, like Sam, does not have much coverage skill.

And yes I prefer when nobody talks about us or gives us any sort of chance. I prefer quiet. Look what happened when the Pacers went from quiet to popular, they lost focus and they are still trying to regain it. Now if Sam did all that he did in college as a 3-4 backer then I say yeah he is worth it go for it. I just rather not deal with the attention as we attempt to move another DE to OLB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thaShady View Post
    Is it a compliment to our locker room to be linked to Michael Sam and Jonathan Martin or are they sneak dissin and calling us a bunch of *******?
    Compliment. I don't see how it could possibly be an insult.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Compliment. I don't see how it could possibly be an insult.
    Because a p*ssy like Jonathan Martin "fits in" with our locker room. Dude is *****-made.

vCash
    Jonathan Martin is almost as big of a b*itch as roy hibbert...