Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Will Randy Carlyle be in charge next NHL season?

- THE STAR -

Carlyle did give an example, saying a “defenceman” who played like a “rover” this year felt he was on a shorter leash, while management felt otherwise. The player often butted heads with the coaching staff, comparing himself to other players.
    The player was not named, but was obviously Jake Gardiner.

“Just a defenceman that’s a young defenceman that’s playing a rover type of hockey early in the season versus more of a condensed style ...

The leash he was afforded . . . It’s like the chicken before the egg,” Carlyle said. “Who he compared himself with in the league. I was kind of shocked.

“We’re not any different as far as a coaching staff,” Carlyle added.
    “We’re not asking players to do something they haven’t done before . . . You have to play and you have to compete on the defensive side of the puck with will and commitment. And we didn’t want to do that on a regular basis.

“We’ve talked about being a puck possession team and less of a rush team . . . We just didn’t do it consistently. There’s going to be an evaluation done at every level of our hockey club.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...ad_season.html
    So I really think the choice for Brendan Shanahan is, fire the coach, or trade some of the players. He pretty much threw Jake Gardinier under the bus here, same faith with James Reimer.

The main reason Carlyle got fired from the Ducks was lack of player development. Him saying this about Jake just seems like he just said I'm fed up with this kid I cannot change his ways, he's only 23.

It doesn't seem like he was the only one though that had a bad slump, and why does he use him as an example, because he's a tradable asset? I really think this is just pointing fingers, he did not get through his young players and he did not get through his core players Dion,Lupul & Kessell.
    Last edited by P.I.; 04-15-2014 at 07:14 PM.

vCash
    that doesnt sound like Gardiner to me, if anything Gardiner was allowed to wheel more during the end of the season, he tore it up just before the collapse

vCash
    I mentioned this in the general discussions, I think he meant Franson, not Gardiner. But I still think Carlyle will be gone.

vCash

Will Randy Carlyle be in charge next NHL season?

I don't think he's talking about Franson. Franson makes terrible pinches and can't skate to get back(constantly being caught). Gardiner was definitely playing that 4th forward kind of style late in the season and he did rack up quite a bit of points. Franson and Carlyle should both go regardless. If Gardiner believes he's already on the same level as Letang or Karlsson I'd trade his *** too.

vCash
    It was Gardiner and he was comparing him self 2 Drew Daughty.
    It don't look like he will be back..Way the through another player under the bus..wow..

“The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for David is that, while you don’t know what to expect, you stand at least a chance of being inspired.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    I don't think he's talking about Franson. Franson makes terrible pinches and can't skate to get back(constantly being caught). Gardiner was definitely playing that 4th forward kind of style late in the season and he did rack up quite a bit of points. Franson and Carlyle should both go regardless. If Gardiner believes he's already on the same level as Letang or Karlsson I'd trade his *** too.
    Yea but Carlyle was talking about how the player felt his leash got shorter as the year went on, Gardiner seemed to get more leeway as the year went along, not less. Franson getting replaced on the PP and losing minutes tell me it was him. Add in the fact that he was asking for $5 million last summer, and he seems to fit that description perfectly. I love how everybody just assumed it's Gardiner because of the "rover" thing but Franson was all over the place and pinching all season long. No idea where you guys found these comparisons but I highly doubt they're from credible sources.

vCash
    Well, if we´re discussing who the player might be, it doesn´t seem like Carlyle threw anybody under any bus here, does it?...

Whoever he is talking about (must be Franson or Gardiner, can´t be Rielly) needs to go! This type of overestimation of one´s own skill and value is what ****s up locker rooms. There has been some mentioning of Kadri being the same way. If that´s the case, trade him too. That´s why Boston traded Seguin. You can´t have players disrupt the locker room like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Showt1me View Post
    Well, if we´re discussing who the player might be, it doesn´t seem like Carlyle threw anybody under any bus here, does it?...

Whoever he is talking about (must be Franson or Gardiner, can´t be Rielly) needs to go! This type of overestimation of one´s own skill and value is what ****s up locker rooms. There has been some mentioning of Kadri being the same way. If that´s the case, trade him too. That´s why Boston traded Seguin. You can´t have players disrupt the locker room like that.
    I'm sure that'll be brought up in Randy's reports to management and somebody will be moved fairly quickly. Watching the interview, it was right at the end and there was absolutely no reason to bring it up. This could just be throwing a player under the bus in an attempt to save his job.

vCash
    hey it could even be Rielly who knows.
    Whoever it was one of the older guys like Phaneuf, Gleason, hell even Ranger have to talk to the kid and straighten him out. If its franson than just get his *** outta here.

vCash
    Is it just me or it's taking 2 long 2 fire him already,hmm..this sure looks like he might stay.Maybe I'm impatient guy and want something done,anything.

“The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for David is that, while you don’t know what to expect, you stand at least a chance of being inspired.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Yea but Carlyle was talking about how the player felt his leash got shorter as the year went on, Gardiner seemed to get more leeway as the year went along, not less. Franson getting replaced on the PP and losing minutes tell me it was him. Add in the fact that he was asking for $5 million last summer, and he seems to fit that description perfectly. I love how everybody just assumed it's Gardiner because of the "rover" thing but Franson was all over the place and pinching all season long. No idea where you guys found these comparisons but I highly doubt they're from credible sources.
    Everyone assume it's Gardiner because Gardiner played like a fourth forward last season. Regardless, Franson needs to be dealt anyway. He's ****ing awful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    I'm sure that'll be brought up in Randy's reports to management and somebody will be moved fairly quickly. Watching the interview, it was right at the end and there was absolutely no reason to bring it up. This could just be throwing a player under the bus in an attempt to save his job.
    Its totally that, a small jab to the players to save his job. I can understand his frustration, but when he was talking he took the full blame then jab's one un-named player. If anything how he said it is worst. "A defencemen, that plays rover" lets say its not Gardiner it does not matter because most people think its him.

I just think it was unnecessary if anything, it just rubs more salt in the wound. As far as I know Randy is as much responsible for last years playoff collapse as the players do. They better find the root of the problem and solve it, sick of missing the playoffs.

When I watch the HBO 24/7 I don't know if anyone remember when they asked Kadri a question, and he got it wrong and Carlyle game him **** sarcastically. My gut instinct tells me Carlyle's tough love just does not get through and players got sick of it.

“Some guys are good with the criticism and some guys don’t want to hear it every single shift you come off the ice,” MacArthur said. “You’re old enough to know (you) made a mistake. You don’t need to hear it every five seconds.

vCash
    Firing Carlyle does nothing but let this choke core off the hook again. Talk about accountability. Jesus.. at some point blame the players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Firing Carlyle does nothing but let this choke core off the hook again. Talk about accountability. Jesus.. at some point blame the players.
    By no means do I think the players should / will be let off the hook, but the way Carlyle handled a lot of the guys, especially young forwards was just awful. The system he put in place is horrible as well. Everybody is accountable here, but coaching definitely wasn't a bright spot this year and changes should be made to personnel in both regards.

vCash
    Carlyle's gone I'd assume, yes. But the players wear this one. 3 years in a row.. they just aren't good enough. Not all of them but the vast majority.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast