Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tommy John

vCash

Tommy John

13 pitchers will or have had Tommy John surgery this year....Last season the total was 16....

I don't care how conservative teams are with their prospects or young starters already in the league....Their elbow's can either handle the stresses of constantly throwing or it cannot....These young starters or relievers have been well guarded since they were drafted...And every year we see more and more Tommy John surgeries or just pitchers with very sore elbows.....And bringing up a prized prospect slowly guarantees nothing with keeping their elbow or shoulder healthy...
    Nick

vCash
    Point of this thread in a Yankees forum?

vCash
    Thomas Jonathon is a good friend of mine
    10 Rec, 96 YD, 1TD
    injured.....again

vCash
    Tinstaapp

vCash
    It's a fair point. Protecting them is not working. I'm no doc, but I bet there is a strong correlation between increased incidents of TJ and average fastball velocity increasing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Thought he was your boyfriend?

Can't believe I took Mush off ignore to read this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    We broke up. We are still close though. Friends with benefits. Shhhhh
    10 Rec, 96 YD, 1TD
    injured.....again

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I though he was known for his bat?

It's all downhill from here.
    Might as well enjoy the ride.

vCash
    Point of this thread in a Yankees forum?
    And what is the point of a Fantasy Baseball thread in the Yankee forum? Cut the BS! You are too critical at times.....
    Nick

vCash
    Yeah it seems like with more and more protection and pitch counts and inning limits come more surgeries. I'd like to see two even young pitchers, identical in size and throwing the same velocity and pitch types be treated in opposite ways, one given the babying we see now and the other allowed to throw as many pitches as he can with no limits and see what happens over a few years.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Something to consider is that all of these kids have adjustments made to their motions to "correct" them.
    Whenever you put the body into a new position and do repetitive movements with different angles, you create a situation where you stress a new part of the body.

I would be curious to see how many kids would get this surgery if left alone with their own specific style.
    Maybe it shortens their career by a couple of years but is that equal to the time lost recovering from the surgery?

Another thought is that this surgery is being used preventatively or for potential improvement in velocity. Both of these are a bit scary seeing the trickle down effect of high school kids getting the surgery preemptively.

I wonder what the rules will be when they develop synthetic tendons.

It's all downhill from here.
    Might as well enjoy the ride.

vCash
    players are going to start pre-emptively getting this done
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash

Can't believe I took Mush off ignore to read this thread.

You deserve two.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Something to consider is that all of these kids have adjustments made to their motions to "correct" them.
    Whenever you put the body into a new position and do repetitive movements with different angles, you create a situation where you stress a new part of the body

I would be curious to see how many kids would get this surgery if left alone with their own specific style.
    Maybe it shortens their career by a couple of years but is that equal to the time lost recovering from the surgery?

Another thought is that this surgery is being used preventatively or for potential improvement in velocity. Both of these are a bit scary seeing the trickle down effect of high school kids getting the surgery preemptively.

I wonder what the rules will be when they develop synthetic tendons.
    Agreed. And to top it off, when you consider that everything about pitching a baseball is completely unnatural to the body, more specifically the arm, it's a perfect recipe for this type of problem.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    wtf I don't remember Randy Johnson or Nolan Ryan or any of the fireballers of yester-year ever needing Tommy John it's not like these guys are all throwing 102MPH I don't remember 95MPH guys needing it with such regularity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast