Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 Draft Update

From http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...hers-dominate/, April 10, 2014:

"The biggest change two months in is the ascent of San Diego prep lefty Brady Aiken to the No. 1 spot, as he and Shepherd (Texas) High righty Tyler Kolek appear to have passed Rodon on most draft boards. Aiken opened the season as a likely top 10 pick and has gotten better, showing improved velocity on his 90-94 mph fastball and better hand speed on his breaking ball to go with his already elite command and knack for pitching. Kolek has hit 100 mph repeatedly and has the best pure arm in the draft.

Rodon, meanwhile, has struggled with diminished fastball velocity and command this spring. The less he throws his fastball—more consistently in the 89-92 mph range rather than the 92-96 peak he flashed in each of the last two years—for strikes, the more he comes to rely on his still-plus slider. An ugly start in late March at Maryland raised questions about his ability to handle adversity, as he has allowed as many unearned runs (15) as earned. While his previous track record helps keep him at the top of the college class, he has yet to show the form that put him there.

Hoffman has had livelier stuff than Rodon but gets hit as well, and both have fallen back to the college-pitcher pack, with Southeastern Conference righthanders Tyler Beede (Vanderbilt) and Aaron Nola (Louisiana State), UNLV righty Erick Fedde and lefties Brandon Finnegan (Texas Christian) and Kyle Freeland (Evansville) closing the gap."

vCash
    I honestly can say this year I have zero knowledge this year about any prospects. Who's' everyone consensus pick this year and some info/background on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi StateOfMind View Post
    I honestly can say this year I have zero knowledge this year about any prospects. Who's' everyone consensus pick this year and some info/background on him.
    there is no consensus pick,everyone was high on rodon up until he dropped off in a huge way,now its up in the air

vCash

2014 Draft Update

Most likely the Sox will be looking at Carlos Rodon, Tyler Beede, Jeff Hoffman, Tyler Kolek and Brady Aiken. A lot of talent off the mound there. Hitters will be Trea Turner and Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sager729 View Post
    Most likely the Sox will be looking at Carlos Rodon, Tyler Beede, Jeff Hoffman, Tyler Kolek and Brady Aiken. A lot of talent off the mound there. Hitters will be Trea Turner and Alex Jackson.

Carlos Rodon, Tyler Beede, Jeff Hoffman would all be 21 by draft day, just like Sale was. That's where I'd pick.

vCash
    I think Beede or Hoffman. Either could be contributors by 2016 at the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by swanekj View Post

Carlos Rodon, Tyler Beede, Jeff Hoffman would all be 21 by draft day, just like Sale was. That's where I'd pick.

vCash

2014 Draft Update

All I know is a rotation with Sale, Quintana and a healthy coached up Rodon would be awesome.

vCash
    all i know is that after seeing our SP i want a starter. i really think our O will be solid all year..... but after sale and Q i dont like what im seeing (although EJ was nice last night).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capital G View Post
    all i know is that after seeing our SP i want a starter. i really think our O will be solid all year..... but after sale and Q i dont like what im seeing (although EJ was nice last night).

Starters 1-4 will fall into place. What we need is a righty 5th starter, who can pitch 190 innings and go 12-12 with an ERA under 4.65.

vCash
    We need another starter and this draft is ripe with them, seems to be a good fit. I don't think there is a hitter worthy of a top 3 pick in this draft.

vCash
    I bet Rodon will still be number one.

vCash
    If Rodon and Kolek go 1-2. Which pitcher should we take?

vCash

2014 Draft Update

Aiken is already so damn good, with room for improvement. If the Sox truly believe that Hoffman or Beede can be at least good #2s at the MLB level while moving rather quickly (rotation in 2016), then I would be fine with that.

Hoffman was just shut down for two weeks and Beede has been struggling with control. Hell even Rodon is throwing 130+ pitches in his starts. All these pitchers have their weaknesses.

Kolek might be my favorite at the moment, he throws an easy 100 mph and shows ability in movement and off speed pitches. Just needs to be refined.

There's another HS pitcher slowly climbing towards the top of the draft. Can't remember his name and haven't seen any tape.

vCash
    High school players might have bigger upside, however they also probably won't be ready till 2017 or later. Im hoping for another Chris Sale situation, draft someone and they can contribute right away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CQSox305 View Post
    If Rodon and Kolek go 1-2. Which pitcher should we take?
    If the Sox take the third best pitcher in the Draft, will the Cubs take the fourth best pitcher or the best position player?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast