Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Rangers close to signing Union college defenseman Mat Bodie

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 1h
    #NYR Hearing that the Rangers are closing in on college free agent Mat Bodie, offensive defenseman from Union College

vCash
    Saw some stats on him, but know nothing about him and have never seen him play.

Guess I can't get too excited about this considering I was high on Matt Gilroy a few years back, but you can never have too much depth on defense.

vCash
    Most of these college free agent signings will not be more than AHL depth players; there are good reasons why they have not been drafted. Except, the Rangers seem to have an eye for overlooked talent (e.g., Girardi and Allen). Let's hope we can mitigate the loss of some draft picks with a sleeper here and there. Wasn't Lundqvist a 7th rounder?

vCash
    Seems small no? 6' and 165?

vCash
    I think red is right that most of these college free agents will become AHL players but you never know until you try. Every once in a while you strike gold with a undrafted FA. With that said I do not know anything about this guy. Hopefully he surprises us.

vCash
    Undersized for sure, but he's a tremendous skater and a good offensive minded defensemen

vCash
    Lol that sounds like Gilroy... Gilroy taught me to manage expectations on undrafted college free agents.
    New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
    Lol that sounds like Gilroy... Gilroy taught me to manage expectations on undrafted college free agents.
    Coincidentally, like Gilroy, Brodie is on the older side of graduating from college, and is presently 24 years old.

I think these free agent college player signings are a smart move and I am glad to see the Rangers be aggressive in this regard. The NHL is changing in ways I think benefits the skill players who may not have prototypical size, and opens the doors for players like Zuccarello and Tory Krug with Boston. The Rangers are smart to take a chance on a skilled, puck-moving defenseman that falls below the radar of typical NHL standards. It's a trend in the NHL I think is here to stay.

vCash
    That's a good point, the game has evolved to allow a player like that. The Iginlas and Bertuzzis are few and far between now.

I don't think Gilroy was very good either way. I also do like the aggressiveness from the club. I would rather they make these signings and at the very least hope for AHL depth.
    New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

vCash
    If he can add on 20lbs in muscle, he could make it here as a bottom pairing dman. He'll most likely wind up in Hartford after he finished college.

vCash
    As I have said many times, the jump from College to NHL is so big that it's hard to guage players like this. If they want to do right by him they will put him in the AHL and not bring him up for two years, there's so many things that change from college to NHL but I think mostly the size and speed, but a lot of times the difference in games played in a year, it's why I have a little more confidence in someone coming out of the CHL to the NHL than college hockey as they don't have to adjust to the grind of an NHL schedule.