Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playoff lines

vCash

Playoff lines

Hartnell G Jake
    Raffl Schenn Simmonds
    Rinaldo Couts Read
    Hall Vinny Downie/McGinn

first line is set, but after that...... Couts and Read will play together and Simmonds and Schenn (wing or center). It will be interesting to see the lines. I'd keep Vinny at 4th line center, gives you 4 lines to play with him rotating in at times on the 2nd line.

Kimmo Coburn
    Streit Grossmann
    MacDonald Schenn

unless someone gets hurt you won't see Gust or Gill on the ice.

vCash
    I'd switch Downie and Rinaldo. Downie gives them more offensively as far as puck possession, and work in the corners. And he's a bigger body.

Rinaldo is an energy guy. He shouldn't be on a shutdown line. If it was me I'd like to have Raffl on that 3rd line, but then that 2nd line LW spot becomes vacant. And I do like the idea of Vinny being on the 4th line as a potential mismatch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    I'd switch Downie and Rinaldo. Downie gives them more offensively as far as puck possession, and work in the corners. And he's a bigger body.

Rinaldo is an energy guy. He shouldn't be on a shutdown line. If it was me I'd like to have Raffl on that 3rd line, but then that 2nd line LW spot becomes vacant. And I do like the idea of Vinny being on the 4th line as a potential mismatch.
    I agree with most of what youve said. Except I would rather keep Raffl on the second line over the thirs completely. That is our puck posession line IMO, also I think he is better on the forecheck than both Simmer and Schenn, every line we have has a proficient forechecker presence with him on the second line. Downie on the third with Read and Couts. Rinaldo and Hall flying around with Vinny looking for one timers sounds good to me.
    Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Phillies
    Seattle Seahawks Cincinnati Bengals
    Phoenix Suns
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Kansas Jayhawks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaddNewz View Post
    I agree with most of what youve said. Except I would rather keep Raffl on the second line over the thirs completely. That is our puck posession line IMO, also I think he is better on the forecheck than both Simmer and Schenn, every line we have has a proficient forechecker presence with him on the second line. Downie on the third with Read and Couts. Rinaldo and Hall flying around with Vinny looking for one timers sounds good to me.
    Which is why I said it leaves the 2nd line LW spot vacant, therefore it doesn't work to have Raffl on the 3rd line.

I agree. I think this off-season the 2nd/3rd line LW spot will be a point of emphasis. But for now, Raffl needs to be on that 2nd line, Downie on the 3rd.

vCash
    I'd rather see Rinaldo on the 3rd line than Downie. Rinaldo on the 4th line is better. McGinn or Akeson would be a better choice than Downie on the 3rd line.

vCash
    Akeson is not that good and has no chemistry with anyone in the team. Downie on the third, Raffl on second like everyone said. Vinny on the fourth line makes us deeper and he will obviously play more with simmer/schenn later in the game if we need to score, sending Raffl to the fourth line.

vCash
    Wouldn't mind if be rube goes with what worked when were winning on that gruesome stretch vs playoff teams:

Top line
    Schenn-vinny-simmonds
    Downie-couts-read
    Hall-Raffl-Rinaldo

That fourth line was actually pretty darn good. Brings energy and can get the job done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    Wouldn't mind if be rube goes with what worked when were winning on that gruesome stretch vs playoff teams:

Top line
    Schenn-vinny-simmonds
    Downie-couts-read
    Hall-Raffl-Rinaldo

That fourth line was actually pretty darn good. Brings energy and can get the job done.
    I like these lines a lot actually. I think we should pop Vinny in between Schenn and Simmonds. We would get so much more production from that second line...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    I like these lines a lot actually. I think we should pop Vinny in between Schenn and Simmonds. We would get so much more production from that second line...
    Taking Schenn off the center's spot is silly. He's earned that spot, he's the best 2nd line center on the roster right now. He's played there pretty much the entire year. I'm not sure that actually makes the 2nd line better outside of name recognition.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Taking Schenn off the center's spot is silly. He's earned that spot, he's the best 2nd line center on the roster right now. He's played there pretty much the entire year. I'm not sure that actually makes the 2nd line better outside of name recognition.

It doesn't. I feel Chief will do what he's been doing ever since he moved Vinny to the 4th line: he'll have Vinny with Schenn and Simmonds a few shifts, maybe more in the 3rd period if they need a goal.

The thing that's crucial with having those 3 on the ice at the same time - and I'm not convinced Chief is aware of this or utilizes this - is zone start time. If they are going to be on the ice together, it needs to start with a draw in the offensive zone. For as much as that line is known to be big and strong on the puck, they don't have very good possession numbers, and because of that they end up hemmed in their own zone A LOT.

Can't afford to have them out there against NYR's top line very often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    +1

vCash
    The thing that's crucial with having those 3 on the ice at the same time - and I'm not convinced Chief is aware of this or utilizes this - is zone start time. If they are going to be on the ice together, it needs to start with a draw in the offensive zone. For as much as that line is known to be big and strong on the puck, they don't have very good possession numbers, and because of that they end up hemmed in their own zone A LOT.

Can't afford to have them out there against NYR's top line very often.
    that seems like kind of a huge red flag.
    Akeson is not that good and has no chemistry with anyone in the team
    and that seems like circular logic. akeson shouldn't play because he has no chemistry with anyone on the team, but he can't develop chemistry with anyone on the team because he's never on the ice with them.

i get that akeson isn't known for his size or his speed or his defensive ability, but he does seem to be really dangerous with the puck on his stick. and putting him with couturier and read, two players who excel at getting and keeping possession of the puck, seems like it could be a good move.

anyway, we know that berube is willing to shake up his lines if necessary, so i don't see much of an issue with akeson getting to start on couturier's wing because he'll be gone if it doesn't work.

oh, and it allows you to put downie on the 4th line with lecavlier which could be good since they were linemates a while back with tampa bay and also since he's a hell of a lot more talented than whichever of hall or rinaldo he replaces. i guess that works out to:

hartnell - giroux - voracek
    raffl - schenn - simmonds
    read - couturier - akeson
    downie - lecavalier - rinaldo
    Last edited by steagles; 04-15-2014 at 03:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    that seems like kind of a huge red flag.and that seems like circular logic. akeson shouldn't play because he has no chemistry with anyone on the team, but he can't develop chemistry with anyone on the team because he's never on the ice with them.

i get that akeson isn't known for his size or his speed or his defensive ability, but he does seem to be really dangerous with the puck on his stick. and putting him with couturier and read, two players who excel at getting and keeping possession of the puck, seems like it could be a good move.

anyway, we know that berube is willing to shake up his lines if necessary, so i don't see much of an issue with akeson getting to start on couturier's wing because he'll be gone if it doesn't work.

oh, and it allows you to put downie on the 4th line with lecavlier which could be good since they were linemates a while back with tampa bay and also since he's a hell of a lot more talented than whichever of hall or rinaldo he replaces. i guess that works out to:

hartnell - giroux - voracek
    raffl - schenn - simmonds
    read - couturier - akeson
    downie - lecavalier - rinaldo

They aren't going to take out Hall. He is needed on the PK and for his face-off ability. And Rinaldo won't be out, either, because they like his energy and ability to draw a penalty every once in a while (though against NYR that skill is hard to show).

If Downie is in, Akeson is out. Both won't be in the lineup at the same time.

vCash
    They aren't going to take out Hall. He is needed on the PK and for his face-off ability. And Rinaldo won't be out, either, because they like his energy and ability to draw a penalty every once in a while (though against NYR that skill is hard to show).

If Downie is in, Akeson is out. Both won't be in the lineup at the same time.
    i think it depends on how penalties are called. refereeing in the playoffs is generally looser, so if you get fewer PK opportunities, and if giroux is willing to play more minutes on the PK, hall's utility goes down a lot. (of course, with rinaldo and downie both in the lineup and on the same line, you'd probably need hall in the lineup to make up for him not being the lineup)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    i think it depends on how penalties are called. refereeing in the playoffs is generally looser, so if you get fewer PK opportunities, and if giroux is willing to play more minutes on the PK, hall's utility goes down a lot. (of course, with rinaldo and downie both in the lineup and on the same line, you'd probably need hall in the lineup to make up for him not being the lineup)

Exactly.

And Hall is the top face-off guy on the team. He's a necessity in that regard.

More importantly, though, PK is big for Hall. I realize this team has its fair share of guys that can contribute on the PK. Giroux, Raffl, Hall, Read, and of course Couts are all more than capable. But, having Hall in there allows Chief to save G for more offensive roles and keep him more fresh for even strength.

It's important to keep guys like Giroux as fresh as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast