Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Not too early for some changes!!

First and foremost, here are the troublesome stats for our SS, C, and bench players:

SS- Combined they are batting .166 with a .230 on base percentage. Their fielding percentages are both under the .925 range also.

C- Avila and Holiday are a combined .107 batting average with an on base of .194, which Holiday has contributed nothing. He has a .000 in both catagories.

Bench (Collins, Holiday, Romine, and Kelly)- While Kelly has held up his end of the deal with a batting average of .364 the others have been worse than awful. Combined, and this includes Kelly, they are a .166 batting average and a .194 on base percentage.

Now, the solution:

A. Lets stopping kidding ourselves here and admit that Dave made a grave error in judgement in his trade for Gonzales and Romine. Grasping at straws is what comes to my mind. Losing Lambordozzi in the deals compounded my evaluation of how bad it was. So, what do we do? We friggn stop screwing around and give up our #1 pick next year and sign Drew to a big one year contract. It just doesn't make sense to keep going with these two failures when an all-star SS is there for the taking.

B. I had high hopes for Bryan Holiday. I really thought he'd just fit right in but obviously he's well overmatched. Compound that with Avila's awful start and you have to call up our top catching prospect James McCann.

C. Bench wise, there really isn't much help in the minors for us. The addition of McCann will help and sending Collins down and bringing up Ezequil Carerra (who had an awful spring but is hitting .359, .409 on base, and 5 SB at AAA) will at least help get people on the bases.

D. The bullpen has been awful with few exceptions, however, you really can't bench some of the guys that have started out bad (Nathan, Chamberlin) witout repercussions. The best we can do right now is to send Coke packing and bring up someone like Blaine Hardy (who has a 0.00 era, 7K, and zero BB, in 3 innings of relief....he was also pretty good in spring). I know it's not ideal but until we can find someone in a trade then that's what we are stuck with.

vCash
    Not too early! Just unorthodox these days. GMs and managers all seem to operate rosters and games the same way nowadays. It sure ain't like the old days anymore. I hate seeing managers go by handbooks and math stats, right from the moment they name their lineup card, to the last out of the game.

GMs are the same way. Now they all seem to run out of money in mid-March, then turn the page of their handbooks to read April workings -- then turn the page to read May workings......etc.....etc.

Before you know it, we will see 3B players shift to 2B during games. Oh Lord!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoog

Now, the solution:

A. Lets stopping kidding ourselves here and admit that Dave made a grave error in judgement in his trade for Gonzales and Romine. Grasping at straws is what comes to my mind. Losing Lambordozzi in the deals compounded my evaluation of how bad it was. So, what do we do? We friggn stop screwing around and give up our #1 pick next year and sign Drew to a big one year contract. It just doesn't make sense to keep going with these two failures when an all-star SS is there for the taking.
    I think everyone here thought the trades sucked to begin with. But, I just don't see us making our Minor league system even worse by giving up a pick for a one year guy.

B. I had high hopes for Bryan Holiday. I really thought he'd just fit right in but obviously he's well overmatched. Compound that with Avila's awful start and you have to call up our top catching prospect James McCann.
    I've personally never been high on Holiday. He doesn't seem as good as Avila at calling games. He's not better defensively and he's equal with the bat. AT LEAST Avila walks every once in a while.

C. Bench wise, there really isn't much help in the minors for us. The addition of McCann will help and sending Collins down and bringing up Ezequil Carerra (who had an awful spring but is hitting .359, .409 on base, and 5 SB at AAA) will at least help get people on the bases.
    I like our bench so far this year. Maybe because Kelly is actually playing well. Also, whenever we get Dirks back, our bench will have some more life.

D. The bullpen has been awful with few exceptions, however, you really can't bench some of the guys that have started out bad (Nathan, Chamberlin) witout repercussions. The best we can do right now is to send Coke packing and bring up someone like Blaine Hardy (who has a 0.00 era, 7K, and zero BB, in 3 innings of relief....he was also pretty good in spring). I know it's not ideal but until we can find someone in a trade then that's what we are stuck with.
    We can try bringing up some minor league guys, but if they come in and immediately get rocked by major league hitters then that could ultimately hurt their development. If our relief pitchers keep sucking(which they will) then we should definitely consider bringing someone up. Rondon being gone for the season hurts so damn bad.

All in all, I agree with your premise that it's not too early for change. I just don't think any changes are realistically possible. I want better relievers, but we have nothing to trade away to get them. I would like a better SS too, but we have one and he can't walk.

Rushing: 197 Carries, 726 Yards, 6 TD
    Receiving: 32 Catch, 309 Yards, 1 TD
    Fumbles: 3....

Number of weeks without a fumble: 3!

2013 Lions forum rookie poster of the year!

vCash
    SS we knew was gonna be bad once Iglesias went down. Just weather the storm until Iglesias gets back imo. I mean Drew is out there as a solution but that won't happen until June at the earliest. Now with Boras being a ******** (more so than usual) I'd say no thanks.

Avila is what he is and nothing more. He'll be the guy that calls the game but his bat is bleh. I'm fine with that so long as the pitching is going well.

I'm in agreement with LK here the bench will get better once Dirks comes back. Use them in small increments and it shouldn't be a big deal. It's not like Leyland playing them 100 games per year.

The one problem I do have and you mentioned it, is the bullpen. It was bad to begin with and knew it was going to be a problem coming into the year. The moves they made to "strengthen" it up look bad right now.

All that said April is the toughest month to judge players because some start slow, some fast, some not at all. I'm not happy with all I've seen so far but I've seen far worse as well.

Catches: 19 Yards: 171 TDs: 1

vCash
    Apparently an executive has talked to rosenthal saying that any team in the AL with any need whatsoever in the infield should sign Stephen Drew just so the Tigers don't get him
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...fuld-jays.html
    Isaiah 40:30-31

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rellime View Post
    Apparently an executive has talked to rosenthal saying that any team in the AL with any need whatsoever in the infield should sign Stephen Drew just so the Tigers don't get him
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...fuld-jays.html
    How rude!

vCash
    I'm just about to that point where I hope they do just go out and sign him. Also anyone know what relief pitchers are available?

vCash
    Joel Hanrahan, Ryan Madson, and Octavio Dotel are the biggest names. If they can be proven healthy though. Other than that its nothing but crap.

Catches: 19 Yards: 171 TDs: 1

vCash
    If they were any good why would they be available? No team is going to trade anybody and good this early unless they get back a kings ransom. We aren't the only team looking for help. Teams looking toward the future with good players they won't include as part of that rebuilding process are holding all the cards. No need and no rush to trade them away for little or nothing.Any team looking for help is going to pay.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    We have nothing to trade so trading for a reliever is petty much out of the question. I'd sign Dotel to a Minor league deal...I have no clue if he can pitch anymore, but it's low risk/high reward type of thing.

vCash
    I'd give Madson and Dotel a shot at least.

vCash
    Just read that we are going to Hanrahan's work out this week. The article also said we were out on Madsen. My problem with the injury and being patient is that we've done this before and had to scramble at the end of the year. When Lelyand use to throw away games by playing subs, my number one complaint was that we'll pay for those at the end of the year. The longer you wait to patch holes this year the more it will hurt us later. If you haven't noticed, KC and Cleveland have gotten tougher. I don't want to have to make a big stretch run at the end to hold them off or squeak a lead out.

vCash
    The thing about not waiting is, it is probably impossible to not wait. aside from those 3 guys, what realistic move can we make?

vCash
    Bingo ^ There is nothing out there worth the time or 29 other teams would have been all over them.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    I love the fact people think the SS would have higher offensive stats with Iggy playing. lol. Dude can't hit either.

Should have resigned Peraltaf or 2- years. Oh well.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast