Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mike Glennon / Quarterback Situation

I'm surprised a lot of you guys on here want to go QB in the 1st round.. You must really hate Glennon lol

I don't love the guy myself but he's a decent to average starter with room to grow and could develop into a solid game manager, much like Alex Smith from the Chiefs. Unless you see him as a career back up? I love Derek Carr and Johnny Manziel but if we go QB at #7 or trade down and pick one up in the first, where do you see Glennon fitting in?

I've asked this question before on the forum but didn't get a definitive answer.. He's cheap enough to keep as our #3 behind our 1st round QB and Josh McCown I suppose..

Trade bait? What teams would really be interested? ARI? TEN? Maybe even HOU?? Is there a way we could actually net a 2nd round pick for him? A 3rd round pick might be more likely

but you could make a case for a higher pick, knowing what he had to endure last season in the short lived "Schiano era" with the whole Josh Freeman circus, MRSA scare and our injury plagued team..

He overcame all that and performed admirably, rookie mistakes were defiantly made but we did see some good things here and there.

How do you guys feel about Glennon and what makes you want to see him gone or replaced?

Thoughts?

If you have great defense, create turnovers and great special teams, you can win 10 games - Lovie Smith

vCash
    Here's my take on the QB situation.

I think McCown is an awesome option for this year, but I think if Manziel or Teddy are there at 7 we dont hesitate and pull the trigger on nabbing a potential star QB.

I think Glennon at this point in time doesn't hold much value. Its not really his fault Schiano kind of fugged him over last year by throwing him in the fire when he wasn't really ready. I think he still has a lot of potential, but we kind of put ourselves in a tough position. I think maybe after preseason we might be able to move Glennon if he showed progress, but that a big if.

Best case scenario in my book would be drafting Teddy or Johnny (although I highly doubt Johnny drops to us) let him sit behind McCown till game one and see where he is then; either make him the starter or let McCown run the show till the midway point, and see if hes our best option. I know we all want instant success, but this situation calls for a little patients for the time being unfortunatly.

We are kind of in a win win situation. If McCown is doing well that's great we'll have a awesome qb for the immediate now and have two really good QB's ready to jump in whenever the time comes. If McCown is kind of shaky then we can either put in Glennon who has shown he can be effective, or put in our new QB and roll the dice on him.

I think drafting a QB at number 7 is the best option.

>Watch Me On Twitch Here<
    Click Here to Become a PSD Member!
    ★I am a Member of the BUC NATION

vCash
    What is he to you G? What's his ceiling in your opinion? If you think we should go QB in the first round, would it be safe to assume that you think Glennon's just back up material, an average starter?

All this talk about having a QB develop behind Josh McCown, why not Glennon? He had decent numbers for a rookie, something to at least build towards next season.. We don't even have to worry about a so called "sophomore slump" type of year where we see him regress from his rookie season, unless of course Mike Glennon beats McCown or that rookie in camp to become our starting QB.

I'm sure he'll have those rookie mistakes he made last season cleaned up by the time the season starts, even with the new offense/terminology in place.
    Last edited by bucc4life; 04-12-2014 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added to it.

vCash
    We are kind of in a win win situation.
    That's crazy man, I cant possibly see how you guys can look at this situation and see that.

In my opinion we have the worst quarterback position in the league right now and for a few reasons.

We have signed and decided to move forward with a career backup who was out of the league just a couple years ago and who will be 35 when the season starts. Hes way too old and no team should be signing him and paying him the most money hes ever been paid. If he were the same player with this contract and a new regime came in to where he was he would be the first player cut. The whole thing is completely *** backwards. The money in the contract makes me think they wont draft anyone early enough to challenge him, though I hope they do because McCown as our starter is a nightmare IMO.

Secondly about Mike Glennon, the coaching staff doesn't like him. They said they only want to carry 2 QBs then they sign McCown and are talking of drafting another, that's a clear message to Mike Glennon. I expect him to be cut by the end of preseason because he cant be on the practice squad. If they don't want him, which I really don't think they do then there is no way he can succeed here and just a matter of how long til hes gone.

Everything is riding on who they draft. They draft the right guy we got a chance, if they don't draft anyone, draft the wrong guy or just get a backup for McCown were ****ed and these guys will be gone in 3 years and not understading why.

Defense alone is not going to get it done, this offense is in shambles, the longer it takes to get that fixed the more years you're wasting of the great players on defense who were spared the ax, Lavonte, McCoy, Barron, Goldson, Foster etc. Knowing these guys have almost no shot barring a QB at 7 who steps in and lights it up because of the horrible offensive moves made by Licht and Smith really sucks but it is the truth.

vCash
    I like Glennan and think he should be the starter. But if we do draft a QB, then I imagine they will trade him or cut him.

2014 is a New Beginning

vCash
    I agree with the post above. I'm honestly expecting us to trade Glennon for a mid to late round pick during sometime during the draft. I get the impression that they really didn't like what they saw on tape last season and want to begin the Lovie Smith era with McCown and a rookie going forward. Lovie/Licht have already brought in a handful of the top quarterback prospects for a visit; I'm fairly confident that we will be drafting someone in rounds one or two (hopefully in round one).

I think Glennon is talented and will eventually earn a starting position somewhere in this league. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderGodsArmor7 View Post
    I like Glennan and think he should be the starter. But if we do draft a QB, then I imagine they will trade him or cut him.
    No way they'd cut Glennon outright, we could get something for him. I know deserve has nothing to do with Glennon being the BUCS starting QB but he at least earned a right to compete for the job. If we end up drafting a 1st round QB, I do see us trading him away, and if I had to guess it would be to the Tennessee Titans.

Glennon's the type of QB Ken Whisenhunt likes and they also have our former QB coach in John McNulty

They're also not sold on Jake Locker IMO

If you have great defense, create turnovers and great special teams, you can win 10 games - Lovie Smith

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bucc4life View Post
    No way they'd cut Glennon outright, we could get something for him. I know deserve has nothing to do with Glennon being the BUCS starting QB but he at least earned a right to compete for the job. If we end up drafting a 1st round QB, I do see us trading him away, and if I had to guess it would be to the Tennessee Titans.

Glennon's the type of QB Ken Whisenhunt likes and they also have our former QB coach in John McNulty

They're also not sold on Jake Locker IMO
    ....... Said every Bucs fan about Revis. I have come to accept the fact that we are resetting the franchise yet again, but there is no chance in hell anyone in the NFL takes this FO seriously at this point. They wear their heart on their sleeve about players and it ruins any chance of decent trade strategy. I hope that the strategy at this point is to tell McCown he is the starter just to push Glennon to make him "win" the job thus increasing his confidence. That would be the ultimate win win for Lovie and Co. They arent tied to him at all so another losing season is excusable. A losing season with McCown would be more of a blow to credibility.
    I am a member of the BUC NATION

vCash
    NOBODY was gonna take on Revis' 16m cap number period. Just like that DeSean Jackson contract, they had to cut him also (no trade value)

Mike Williams had trade value because of his 1.8m cap number. Glennon is set to make 700k this upcoming season.

Just saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bucc4life View Post
    NOBODY was gonna take on Revis' 16m cap number period. Just like that DeSean Jackson contract, they had to cut him also (no trade value)

Mike Williams had trade value because of his 1.8m cap number. Glennon is set to make 700k this upcoming season.

Just saying.
    I wouldn't be surprised if we got a higher pick than we did for Williams.

Younger, QB, potential, and clean record should get us maybe a 4th-5th. Or good bait to move up in the draft somewhere.

2014 is a New Beginning

vCash
    Not to mess with you guys, but I stumbled into here on accident but read the thread.

You guys could easily get a pick for Glennon. For sure. Maybe a 4th or so at worst I would say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Not to mess with you guys, but I stumbled into here on accident but read the thread.

You guys could easily get a pick for Glennon. For sure. Maybe a 4th or so at worst I would say.
    scouting us are you? haha remember that group I found lmao

Let's go Bucs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    scouting us are you? haha remember that group I found lmao
    I literally don't remember what you're talking about lol

I was scrolling down on my POS phone and I clicked it the link to this thread on accident. Though sometimes I read others forums, I never read this one I guess. Mostly NFCN and the OAK forum because it's epic.

Either way, you could def get a pick I would certainly say.

I bet if ya drafted a QB day one, you'd be trading him by the next day. Or could be, I'll put it that way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    That's crazy man, I cant possibly see how you guys can look at this situation and see that.

In my opinion we have the worst quarterback position in the league right now and for a few reasons.

We have signed and decided to move forward with a career backup who was out of the league just a couple years ago and who will be 35 when the season starts. Hes way too old and no team should be signing him and paying him the most money hes ever been paid. If he were the same player with this contract and a new regime came in to where he was he would be the first player cut. The whole thing is completely *** backwards. The money in the contract makes me think they wont draft anyone early enough to challenge him, though I hope they do because McCown as our starter is a nightmare IMO.

Secondly about Mike Glennon, the coaching staff doesn't like him. They said they only want to carry 2 QBs then they sign McCown and are talking of drafting another, that's a clear message to Mike Glennon. I expect him to be cut by the end of preseason because he cant be on the practice squad. If they don't want him, which I really don't think they do then there is no way he can succeed here and just a matter of how long til hes gone.

Everything is riding on who they draft. They draft the right guy we got a chance, if they don't draft anyone, draft the wrong guy or just get a backup for McCown were ****ed and these guys will be gone in 3 years and not understading why.

Defense alone is not going to get it done, this offense is in shambles, the longer it takes to get that fixed the more years you're wasting of the great players on defense who were spared the ax, Lavonte, McCoy, Barron, Goldson, Foster etc. Knowing these guys have almost no shot barring a QB at 7 who steps in and lights it up because of the horrible offensive moves made by Licht and Smith really sucks but it is the truth.

Way too old??? Manning is 38, Brady 37, Brees 35, Roeth 32, Rivers 33, Romo 34, Schaub 33, Eli 33, Cutler 31 So hes really not that old if you think about. He also hasnt really played so he doesnt have the mileage that these other players do.

Not to mention we are paying him very low starting QB money or very god back up money depending on how you look at it. I also heard that we only wanted to carry 2 QBs but that could change if we find someone worth drafting and keeping 3.

And then my other disagreement with you is that Lovie has done it with defense alone before, more than once. I mean he brought the bears to the SB with REX GROSSMAN...haha thatís gotta show for something. We have a way better roster in place than they had too. It aint all that bad man, Itís not the long term answer and they know that.

vCash
    Imagine if I guy who played football, then was out of the league cause no one thought he could play. Became a grocery bagger, then tried out again for a team and was not only given a chance to be on the team, but eventually took the team to a Super Bowl and one. Awesome movie.........or the true story of Kurt Warner.

Or a 6th round draft pick, taking over a team and now may be considered as one of the greatest QB's to play the game....Tom Brady.

I think Josh McCown is good for us. Look at his stats last year, and if we could Mike Evans, then we basically put McCown in a better of offense for his skill then he had in Chicago.

I'm fine with McCown.

As for Glennon. At NCSU they felt so good about Glennon that they gave Russell Wilson an Altomatem of either playing Football or Baseball. Also he had the best numbers of all the starting Rookie QBs last year.

I love the guys height also. I think a few year behind McCown will allow him to learn more and become a starting QB in this league. If not, then i should at least put him up their with Mallet and Cousins as far as QB's who have good trade bait.

I don't think we should take one of these QB's with the amount of talent we can grab at WR and at LB. Evans, Barr, or Mack will be their for us. If Watkins and Clowney are gone (and the should be). Let us see what the QB group can do.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast