Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Game 80: Golden State Warriors (49-30) @ Portland Trailblazers (52-28)

@

Sunday, April 13th, 2014
    6:00PM Pacific Time

Moda Center
    Portland, Oregon
    The 503

PROJECTED LINEUPS

The Dubs

Portland Trailblazers

THE RUNDOWN

MUST WIN GAME

Warriors road record: 23-16
    Blazers home record: 29-10

Thread goal: 300 posts
    Last edited by MackShock; 04-13-2014 at 10:03 PM.

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
    "From the stomach at birth, till I'm under the earth."

#DUBSUP

vCash
    #DubsUp
    #50Wins
    #lolBlazers
    #DivisionRival
    #Leandre_Shackelford

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

#DUBSUP

vCash
    Not only have we just clinched the playoffs, making it the first time we've had consecutive playoff seasons since 90-91 and 91-92. If we win this game it will be the first 50 win season we have had since 93-94.

We are looking at, possibly, the first fifty win season in over twenty years.

And people want to fire the head coach?

There is issues that need fixed and there has been some disappointing games, but I'm extremely proud of what our Warriors have achieved over the last two seasons, the way they've turned things around and the success that they've had surpasses anything that I remember (the last time we had a fifty win season, I was a toddler, so if we can win one of our next three and finish with fifty wins, I will be ecstatic).

I've never been this happy to be a Dubs fan. The future is bright. Two-three years from now, we might be one of the top 2 or 3 seeds in the West.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bird
    It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jordan
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post
    Not only have we just clinched the playoffs, making it the first time we've had consecutive playoff seasons since 90-91 and 91-92. If we win this game it will be the first 50 win season we have had since 93-94.

We are looking at, possibly, the first fifty win season in over twenty years.

And people want to fire the head coach?

There is issues that need fixed and there has been some disappointing games, but I'm extremely proud of what our Warriors have achieved over the last two seasons, the way they've turned things around and the success that they've had surpasses anything that I remember (the last time we had a fifty win season, I was a toddler, so if we can win one of our next three and finish with fifty wins, I will be ecstatic).

I've never been this happy to be a Dubs fan. The future is bright. Two-three years from now, we might be one of the top 2 or 3 seeds in the West.
    I think their talent level is a lot higher than it was for most of those 20 yrs. Also- mark jackson showed in 2011-2012 that when he doesnt have elite level talent out there- he leads the team to similar records to what they were finishing with over the last 2 decades.

Bottom line, this talent is under performing. It shouldnt take a coach of the year to figure out how to get wins at home against Denver, T wolves, Cavs, Wizards, bobcats etc. The fact that they have had poor talent and had poor records the last 20 yrs is not relevant to how this current team is performing in relation to their talent level. I understand, they cant be perfect every night and they are gonna have some bad nights shooting or whatnot. I honestly think that there are 10 or 12 losses this year where they could have won without having anywhere near a perfect game. (the other night against denver comes to mind)

50 wins is just a number- The real question when evaluating yourself should be all about yourself vs yourself. Can you honestly say the team has come out and played at an acceptable level every time they stepped out on the floor. I think whats most disturbing- is you would think every time one of those games happens it would make it less likely for it to happen again.... but the players just seem to brush it off as "**** happens" and basically dont even try to learn from it so it doesnt happen again.

IMO- the sign of a good coach is when it really doesnt matter what players are out there on the floor. The team has the same offensive and defensive principals and still plays efficiently.

So I dont know who you blame anymore. The players out on the floor is my first guess- but jackson doesnt seem to be too concerned when it happens either. Its sad though- I think this team could realistically win over 55-60 games even with the injuries and that would include a few really off nights from time to time.
    A role model if I ever knew one

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    I think their talent level is a lot higher than it was for most of those 20 yrs. Also- mark jackson showed in 2011-2012 that when he doesnt have elite level talent out there- he leads the team to similar records to what they were finishing with over the last 2 decades.

Bottom line, this talent is under performing. It shouldnt take a coach of the year to figure out how to get wins at home against Denver, T wolves, Cavs, Wizards, bobcats etc. The fact that they have had poor talent and had poor records the last 20 yrs is not relevant to how this current team is performing in relation to their talent level. I understand, they cant be perfect every night and they are gonna have some bad nights shooting or whatnot. I honestly think that there are 10 or 12 losses this year where they could have won without having anywhere near a perfect game. (the other night against denver comes to mind)

50 wins is just a number- The real question when evaluating yourself should be all about yourself vs yourself. Can you honestly say the team has come out and played at an acceptable level every time they stepped out on the floor. I think whats most disturbing- is you would think every time one of those games happens it would make it less likely for it to happen again.... but the players just seem to brush it off as "**** happens" and basically dont even try to learn from it so it doesnt happen again.

IMO- the sign of a good coach is when it really doesnt matter what players are out there on the floor. The team has the same offensive and defensive principals and still plays efficiently.

So I dont know who you blame anymore. The players out on the floor is my first guess- but jackson doesnt seem to be too concerned when it happens either. Its sad though- I think this team could realistically win over 55-60 games even with the injuries and that would include a few really off nights from time to time.
    You know the last 20 years is irrelevant but you keep bringing up Mookie Blaylock as if he is.

We have the best record in two decades. No one should be blamed for anything because we are successful. If we are a 50 win playoff team, and you are still pointing fingers at who did what, then you are negative as hell and I don't want to be around it. Like attracts like and all you're going to say is "I told you so" if we lose in the playoffs. There should be no conceivable way that you can be unhappy with a playoff berth. But somehow you find a way to find a fault with that.

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

#DUBSUP

vCash
    Also- mark jackson showed in 2011-2012 that when he doesnt have elite level talent out there- he leads the team to similar records to what they were finishing with over the last 2 decades.
    It was his first year as a coach with absolutely no prior coaching experience, it was a lock out season where the front office had us tanking. NOBODY could have coached that roster to a playoff berth. In Durants first season he scored 20 points on barely 40% now he's scoring 30 on 50%

You can't judge a player from their rookie season just like you can't judge a coach based on their first season.

Bottom line, this talent is under performing. It shouldnt take a coach of the year to figure out how to get wins at home against Denver, T wolves, Cavs, Wizards, bobcats etc.
    They're not under performing, you're overestimating them and/or forgetting how close a lot of those losses were, one or two made shots or a couple of extra free throws, one less turnover, we would have about 5 more wins, that's just being outplayed and/or bad luck.

We have the third best record against teams below .500

EVERY team, and I mean EVERY team has dropped games against teams they shouldn't have. It happens, it's an 82 game season and **** happens.

50 wins is just a number- The real question when evaluating yourself should be all about yourself vs yourself. Can you honestly say the team has come out and played at an acceptable level every time they stepped out on the floor.
    No. But they've played better than any other team we've put out on that floor in the last twenty years. They've played and been coached to a top 3/4 defense in the league, they've played so well, they have one of the best road records in the league, a 50 win season, are playing .600 ball, not .500 ball. .600 ball.

They have played well enough to get into the playoffs where teams that have a winning percentage of .590 and .500 are going to miss out.

They've played well enough to be;

Top 3 in defensive efficiency.
    Top 4 in DRtg
    Top five in 3PT%
    Top 10 in eFG% and TS%
    Top 10 in Assist Ratio and Total Assists.
    Top 10 in point per game.
    Top 10 in REBR and top 5 in Total Rebounds.
    Top 3 in Opponent FG%
    Top 3 in Opponent 3PT%
    Top 10 in Opponent points per game.
    Top 12 in ORtg.
    Top 4 in SRS.
    Top 5 in MOV.

All of this and we're a very young team, still growing, still learning.

If a superstar player led his team to fifty wins in his third season, you would be praising the hell out of him, but a coach does it and it's not good enough? SMH

Well then it's just as well...

Our best offensive rebounding line up is the bench unit; Blake - Crawford - Barnes - Green - O'Neal

Our best TRB line up is Curry - Klay - Green - Lee - O'Neal, which is also our best for Assists.

Our best three line ups for points includes Green, Barnes and O'Neal.

You can only do so much with talent, you yourself said that coaches are irrelevant, they don't matter, now you're saying they should be able to get D-leaguers to play as good as superstars if they're a good coach?

Your negativity is draining. Ten years from now you will look back on this season and realise you didn't take the time to appreciate just how incredible we were, in spite of our flaws, in spite of the games where the effort wasn't there. All of those issues and we STILL managed to get 50 wins (hopefully) a sixth seed in the toughest, deepest conference that we've seen in about a decade and consecutive playoff runs.

If a player comes in and leads his team to consecutive playoff seasons for the first time in over twenty years in his sophomore and third year, you would be blowing your load. A coach does it and you want him fired.

It's pathetic and moronic and displays just how little people know about the coaching side when they see this team play and think Mark Jackson is anything other than a top ten coach in this league.
    Last edited by Goose17; 04-12-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer.

vCash
    It was his first year as a coach with absolutely no prior coaching experience, it was a lock out season where the front office had us tanking. NOBODY could have coached that roster to a playoff berth. In Durants first season he scored 20 points on barely 40% now he's scoring 30 on 50%

You can't judge a player from their rookie season just like you can't judge a coach based on their first season.
    I like what I see from Jeff Hornecek.

Mark jackson was applying for a job against other coaches who had experience- so its reasonable that he is going to be compared to coaches that have experience. If jackson had rotations with 4 or 5 d league players today- I think the warriors record would likely be less than 35 wins.

They're not under performing, you're overestimating them and/or forgetting how close a lot of those losses were, one or two made shots or a couple of extra free throws, one less turnover, we would have about 5 more wins, that's just being outplayed and/or bad luck.
    I dont think a lot of those games even should have been close. I also dont think I am over estimating- infact- I think I tend to give them the short end of the stick when evaluating them. You are looking at the win total as a whole and the loss total as a whole.

Im actually looking at each and every one of those home losses and I dont think I am over estimating their talent level in thinking they are capable of beating the cavs at home or the nuggets the other night. I also understand that they might lose a few of those 10-12 games but I think they could reasonably have 4, 5 or 6 more wins right now and be shooting for over 55 wins on the year.

EVERY team, and I mean EVERY team has dropped games against teams they shouldn't have. It happens, it's an 82 game season and **** happens.
    Again- I look at the situations of our games too. The nuggets on the back end of a back to back with all sorts of injuries while playing for absolutely nothing- the warriors with 4 days of rest playing to make the playoffs and realistically move up to the 5th spot (Yes I did think that was a realistic and attainable goal before the denver game)

They have played well enough to get into the playoffs where teams that have a winning percentage of .590 and .500 are going to miss out.
    again- I think thats where their talent level is

All of this and we're a very young team, still growing, still learning.

If a superstar player led his team to fifty wins in his third season, you would be praising the hell out of him, but a coach does it and it's not good enough? SMH
    If a superstar player did it and was carrying the team- I probably would give him a lot of credit. But- that would mean that the team around him didnt get significant upgrades. For instance- Mario Chalmers was on the heat since 2008- Over the last few yrs the heat have been a favorite to win the championship. Chalmers has contributed to the team, but I dont give him the credit because I saw what he could do when he didnt have superstars in the line up with him.

You can only do so much with talent, you yourself said that coaches are irrelevant, they don't matter, now you're saying they should be able to get D-leaguers to play as good as superstars if they're a good coach?
    I dont know about play as agood as superstars, but they should be coached to play solid basketball- Pop finds a way to get his second unit to play at a consistently high level and I dont think danny green and patty mills would play that well for just any coach

Your negativity is draining. Ten years from now you will look back on this season and realise you didn't take the time to appreciate just how incredible we were, in spite of our flaws, in spite of the games where the effort wasn't there. All of those issues and we STILL managed to get 50 wins (hopefully) a sixth seed in the toughest, deepest conference that we've seen in about a decade and consecutive playoff runs.
    I think you might have just hot the root of my frusteration- YOU JUST PROVED HOW TALENTED THIS TEAM IS. tHEY CAN GO OUT AND PHONE IT IN HALF THE TIME, GET OFF TO HORRIBLE STARTS, PLAY IN A HORRIBLE CONFERENCE AND STILL WIN MORE THAN 50 GAMES. iMAGINE IF THEY WERE AS FOCUSED AS THE SPURS OR WORKED AS HARD AS THE SUNS EVERY NIGHT?

And what annoys me is when people talk about- the warriors would win x amount of games if they got a better back up 2 or had a (blank) with more size or other personnel replacements. Its like- are people watching the games??? Most of the time when the warriors lose- it has nothing to do with what the other team is doing or how are players are capable of matching up. Its usually a combination of lack of energy/effort/urgency, poor ball movement, bad rotations, lack of adjustments. Unfortunately, 3 of those 4 reasons land on the coach.

It's pathetic and moronic and displays just how little people know about the coaching side when they see this team play and think Mark Jackson is anything other than a top ten coach in this league.
    I dont know if I want jackson fired, Only reason I am ok with that decision is if they have a better coach in mind to replace him. One way or the other though- I dont want to see this many games next year where the team just gave away easy ones. Id like that number to be under 5.
    Last edited by likemystylez; 04-12-2014 at 11:04 AM.

vCash
    To quote that opinion piece I posted a few days ago. If you want Jackson fired, you better call for Curry to be traded as well.

9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    vCash
    Jackson isn't going anywhere, especially after we win a 'ship. The team loves him, and the majority of the fans do as well. He is a respected x's and o's coach and will go down as one of the greats.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    To quote that opinion piece I posted a few days ago. If you want Jackson fired, you better call for Curry to be traded as well.
    O good god stop with that rubbish. Curry is a million times more important to this team than Jackson is. By that foolish logic the bulls should have traded MJ because they fired Doug Collins after he took them to the conference finals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    Jackson isn't going anywhere, especially after we win a 'ship. The team loves him, and the majority of the fans do as well. He is a respected x's and o's coach and will go down as one of the greats.
    Lol, please

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    O good god stop with that rubbish. Curry is a million times more important to this team than Jackson is. By that foolish logic the bulls should have traded MJ because they fired Doug Collins after he took them to the conference finals.
    "Curry is no more proven as a player who can lead a team all the way than Jackson is as a coach who can do the same. But while Curry is universally acclaimed as the franchise player, a rare talent that Golden State cannot let get away, Jackson is somehow seen as replaceable. Even though all of the success Curry has "led" the Warriors to has come under Jackson's guidance."

Truth^

And I can't believe you just compared Curry to Jordan LMFAO. Curry isn't even in the same universe as Jordan.

vCash
    "Curry is no more proven as a player who can lead a team all the way than Jackson is as a coach who can do the same. But while Curry is universally acclaimed as the franchise player, a rare talent that Golden State cannot let get away, Jackson is somehow seen as replaceable. Even though all of the success Curry has "led" the Warriors to has come under Jackson's guidance."

Truth^

And I can't believe you just compared Curry to Jordan LMFAO. Curry isn't even in the same universe as Jordan.
    Players are going to get the bennefit of the doubt over coaches. With a few exceptions- you stick with the player. I know you think they contribute equally to a teams success-

but a great player is usually going to find a way to be great in any situation (yes there might be a few exceptions)- but many very good coaches are only as good as their roster. Rick Adleman was great with portland in the early 90s- he sucked with the warriors- then he was great with the kings, very good with the rockets, and hes struggling with the t wolves.

Does a top 5 player in the league go from being an MVP candidate to being completely below average and then back to being an all nba first team for 3 or 4 yrs, then back to a so/so player?

I mean- I know players tend to drop off as they get older- but they usually dont make huge jumps back and forth without some sort of unique situation (perhaps injury- or a guy revives his career)

vCash

Truth^

Coaches are always easier replaced than talented players. Curry didn't become the player he is because of Jackson. Curry is looked at as the player he is now because he's been healthy. We all saw flashes of what curry could be before Jackson was the coach but a combination of injuries and Monta held him back.

I know you're smart enough to know I'm not comparing Curry to Jordan but rather the situation. Stop trying get around this. Curry is the best player on this team and we got to the second round of the playoffs last year and who knows this year. Jordan was the best player on his team and in 3 years went from first round exit to conference finals. Remember at that time Jordan was considered great but not the GOAT. Collins was fired after doing more with the bulls than Jackson's done with the warriors (tho that's still pending). By your logic they should have traded MJ.

Your logic is foolish players trump coaches every time. History shows this to be true (across multiple sports as well).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Coaches are always easier replaced than talented players. Curry didn't become the player he is because of Jackson. Curry is looked at as the player he is now because he's been healthy. We all saw flashes of what curry could be before Jackson was the coach but a combination of injuries and Monta held him back.

I know you're smart enough to know I'm not comparing Curry to Jordan but rather the situation. Stop trying get around this. Curry is the best player on this team and we got to the second round of the playoffs last year and who knows this year. Jordan was the best player on his team and in 3 years went from first round exit to conference finals. Remember at that time Jordan was considered great but not the GOAT. Collins was fired after doing more with the bulls than Jackson's done with the warriors (tho that's still pending). By your logic they should have traded MJ.

Your logic is foolish players trump coaches every time. History shows this to be true (across multiple sports as well).
    Actually a lot of the media criticized Jordan's game and thought of him as a one on one flashy player who was unable to play team basketball and make players around him better. They thought he was a fan favorite- but he couldnt carry a team by himself for a 7 game series and since he was a ball hog, nobody else could play well with him.

Teams like the celtics and Pistons thought their brand of team basketball would be too much for jordan and the bulls to handle for a 7 game series and his game wasnt gonna cut it for championship ball.

At that time- he was thought of sort of how Carmello was thought of in Denver- although- Jordan was an elite defensive player and he had the ability to play well with a team (he played on an amazing north carolina team). The problem was- the bulls were a worse team than the pistons and celtics.

People even questioned lebrons ability to win a championship a few yrs ago

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast