Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Johnny Manziel is exciting, but Raiders will pass................Vic Tafur

The Raiders had Johnny Manziel in for visit at the start of the week and here’s why I’m pretty sure they won’t pick him at No. 5 in next month’s draft.
    First off, none of the quarterbacks in this year’s draft are Top 10 picks and general manager Reggie McKenzie has said he strictly goes by the best player available on the Raiders’ draft board. There are at least five walk-in-the-building impact players available (Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Robinson and Matthews) and the Raiders can get one of those if they don’t trade down.
    Manziel is a one-read quarterback who made a lot of plays outside the pocket in college. As NFL Films producer Greg Cosell pointed out, he doesn’t anticipate receivers getting open but sees them and then throws it. He missed a lot of open receivers at Texas A&M and he left the pocket when he didn’t really have to.
    Sound familiar? Terrelle Pryor has a lot of those qualities, and he would make the Raiders coaches pull their hair out last season when he would ignore something they had game-planned for and improvise.
    I am not saying Manizel is Pryor, but Raiders people have confirmed to me that comparison has been part of the process in evaluating Manziel. Is he coachable? Can he stay in the pocket and make plays with his arm? Does he want to?
    Manziel’s worst games last year came when LSU and Missouri controlled their rush and kept him in the pocket.
    McKenzie has called Manziel “a playmaker” and trust me, Dennis Allen and Greg Olson have really enjoyed watching some of Manziel’s thrilling game tape … but will it translate to the NFL? (And we’re not even talking about how his body holds up to the punishment. Or that Oakland thinks Matt Schaub can be its quarterback for the next 2-3 years.) I just can’t see the Raiders rolling the dice on Manziel at No. 5 with so many great players available.
    Is he tempting? Sure. Manziel reminds owner Mark Davis of Kenny Stabler and maybe he is a special player who gets better, elevates teammates and makes plays. Manziel definitely has swagger, which Allen mentioned often last season as something he is looking for in his players.
    In our sit-down at the NFL Combine, Allen talked about Manziel and his swagger.
    “Absolutely, Johnny has swagger,” Allen said. “Here is the thing about Johnny Manziel. This guy has been a winner, and he’s won everywhere he’s been. So that’s one of the things you look at when you look at this kid.
    “Texas A&M went into the SEC and nobody really gave them a chance … and all of a sudden this freshman quarterback goes off and they’re in the National Championship picture for a long time. He brings that to a team.”
    The Raiders, like the other teams in the top half of the first round, have been trying to figure out if Manziel is an athlete playing quarterback or a quarterback who is athletic. And once they figure that out, do they love him enough to take him with their first pick?
    What do you think?

vCash
    Amen!!!
    “You don’t adjust. You just dominate.”
    -Al Davis
    Reggie Please draft Aaron Donald.

vCash
    Manziel is far above Pryor in every category but athleticism (which Johnny is no at scrub himself) and I would take him if he was there at #5. I would also make him sit behind and learn from Schaub for one year or until Schaub stinks up the joint or goes down with injury. But I would also be happy drafting Watkins or Mack. I really don't care to see us go with a LT early first round.
    What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' niggahs, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your a$s.

Don't tell nobody about this. This sheit is between me, you, and Mr. Soon-To-Be-Living-The-Rest-of-His-Short-A$s-Life-In-Agonizing-Pain Rapist here.

vCash
    Just ask yourself if one of Greg Robinson, Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack was there for the taking at 5 would you take any of the QBs ahead of them.

Watkins, Jones & Streater would be the best receiving core we have had in years. Robinson at LT would solidify the O line making it the best we've had in years. Mack would be an impact player on defense something we need.

I wouldn't do it.

vCash
    The question is who can be an impact player today...if there isnt one available. .trade down for more picks. This is one of those deep drafts where it is not just possible but encouraged.

vCash
    Let someone else be the ringmaster for the circus that is "Johnny Football"....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

-John Madden

vCash

Johnny Manziel is exciting, but Raiders will pass................Vic Tafur

I want the guy who can walk through the door and be an impact starter ( Watkins, Mack, clowney, Robinson, Matthews) these qbs are not top ten pick material. IMO the only qb I like is bortles and I think he needs a season or two to sit and learn, let's grab a right away impact player inter first, then maybe draft mccarron, mettenberger, fales, or another qb in a later round.
    RAIDERS 0-0
    Lakers 2012!!!

vCash
    We have 2 serviceable quarterbacks, Oakland needs not to draft a bench warmer. We`ll always lag behind not using our heads.

Oakland has been fantastic at making incorrect moves, nothing can shock me.

Reggie got played in a New York Minute

vCash
    Just the fact that Schaub is here says it all. Besides, we need bigger help in many places other than QB.

vCash
    We have for far too long been a team who screws up top ten picks year after year after year. I woundnt be surprised if this year is more of the same.......hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

-Fade

vCash
    Manziel will be an average at best QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_firm_09 View Post
    We have 2 serviceable quarterbacks, Oakland needs not to draft a bench warmer. We`ll always lag behind not using our heads.

Oakland has been fantastic at making incorrect moves, nothing can shock me.
    very true

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fade to Black View Post
    We have for far too long been a team who screws up top ten picks year after year after year. I woundnt be surprised if this year is more of the same.......hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

-Fade
    I agree man, just the simple fact that McKenzie drafted a freaking corner when our biggest need was d-lineman says it all. There were a handful of players who then and now are better that DJ ( I can't cover my *** with toilet paper) Hayden.

Just to think that McKenzie believed that Hayden was the best player available in last years draft leaves a lot to be worried about.

On the bright side, unless he drafts Manziel, there is no way he can screw up this pick. Whatever player they select will be good.
    GIFSoup
    Coming to an ACC court near you.

vCash
    no disrespect to Vic Tafur because I always go to him for accurate rumors and news.

He is purely speculating, Johnny most likely wont be the pick but the Raiders may still take him.

To say "will pass" is to strong of words especially without a quote from Reggie or DA. The article is Reggie and DA prasing him. Deep down, i think they absolutely love Manziel based off what I have been reading.

vCash
    Gotta pick Aaron Murray in my opinion. He is so good and underrated, its not even funny. I am shocked he doesnt have a 2nd round grade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast