Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Collins preparing for a 4 man OF

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Terry Collins suggested he will rotate his primary outfielders once Chris Young is activated from the disabled list next Friday.

Young, who is headed to Triple-A Las Vegas to begin a rehab assignment, will rejoin the Mets late in the next series in Arizona and take batting practice with the club. He then will fly to New York with the team, in advance of being activated when he is eligible next weekend.

Collins will have to figure out at that point how to get enough playing time for four outfielders -- especially given how well Juan Lagares and, at least recently, Eric Young Jr. have performed.

"The hope is you can give them days off and play the other three," Collins said. "How's it going to work? I don't know yet."

Will Curtis Granderson be part of that rotation? That seems so, but Collins said: "Too early to know."

Granderson is batting fifth Friday for the first time this season, but Collins said he will be back in the cleanup spot Saturday. Collins insisted the motivation for placing Granderson fifth was to further separate him from No. 2 hitter Daniel Murphy, the other lefty hitter in the lineup, since the Angels only have one lefty in the bullpen.

As for Granderson's slow start (.125, 1 HR, 3 RBIs), Collins said: "A lot of it, I truly believe, is it's a new league. He sees new guys. No matter what you say, that's an adjustment that has to be made sometimes. I'll bet if you went over and talked to Albert [Pujols] about when he first went to the American League, he may say the same thing.

"I think once Curtis settles in, he's going to be fine. I'm not concerned. I thought he's had some pretty good swings lately. He's drawing some bases on balls, which means he's seeing the ball better."
    Guess we will see a platoon in LF or CF depending on how Lagares and Eric Young are hitting.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-11-2014 at 09:12 PM.

vCash
    I feel Lagares should be our only OF who plays everyday. I'd give Grandy more rest personally.

vCash
    Why can't this team just realize that our best OF is CYoung-Lagares-Granderson?

They should break down the playing time like this:

Lagares: 90% of games
    CYoung: 90% of games
    Granderson: 95% of games
    EYoung: 25% of games

vCash

Collins preparing for a 4 man OF

TC did not say that the time would be divided equally. The best OF is the three that are the most productive.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Granderson is looking worst than Bay, but he will play everyday maybe get an off day once in a blue.

Lagares who should play everyday will sit more than he should.

vCash
    Granderson will be fine. His BABIP is only .150 right now.

His BABIP on line drives is only .250, and his BABIP on grounders is only .167. For his career, his BABIP on line drives is .730 and his BABIP on grounders is .239.

The main things I'm looking at in regards to Granderson is his BB%, K%, and ISO. His BB rate is 15.8%, his K rate is 28.9%, and his ISO is .188. If you could add .100 points to Granderson's BA, he'd be hitting .225/.363/.413.

vCash
    Great because Terry has done so well with the 1st base situation
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Why can't this team just realize that our best OF is CYoung-Lagares-Granderson?

They should break down the playing time like this:

Lagares: 90% of games
    CYoung: 90% of games
    Granderson: 95% of games
    EYoung: 25% of games
    CY hasn't even had an AB this year. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. EY has been coming around in the last few games.

I think of EY the same way I think of Lagares...if he hits, he should play everyday because of what he brings to the table. Think about it like this. Do the Mets win last night without EY having the game he did? If (and this is a huge IF) EY can get on base at a .340-.360 rate, he's a perfect leadoff hitter for this team.

So far he hasn't proven he can for en extended period.

CY also still has a lot to prove before he is handed a job.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    CY hasn't even had an AB this year. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. EY has been coming around in the last few games.

I think of EY the same way I think of Lagares...if he hits, he should play everyday because of what he brings to the table. Think about it like this. Do the Mets win last night without EY having the game he did? If (and this is a huge IF) EY can get on base at a .340-.360 rate, he's a perfect leadoff hitter for this team.

So far he hasn't proven he can for en extended period.

CY also still has a lot to prove before he is handed a job.
    CY provides right-handed power behind Granderson. He's very important in this lineup. His defense is very good in LF. He's also being paid $7.25m, so he will be handed the job until he proves he shouldn't play everyday.

vCash
    1. Release Duda
    2. Send Ike Davis to the bench
    3. Move Murphy to 1B
    4. Move Eric Young to 2B
    5. Start Chris Young

Eric Young
    Juan Lagares
    David Wright
    Curtis Granderson
    Daniel Murphy
    Chris Young
    Travis d'Arnaud
    Ruben Tejeda

That is our best line up we can field at the moment.

vCash
    Murphy>EYJ

vs. RHP/LHP

Grandy
    Murphy/Lagares
    Wright
    Davis/CYoung
    CYoung/Satin
    Lagares/Murphy
    d'Arnaud
    Tejada

vCash
    Murphy>EYJ

vs. RHP/LHP

Grandy
    Murphy/Lagares
    Wright
    Davis/CYoung
    CYoung/Satin
    Lagares/Murphy
    d'Arnaud
    Tejada
    Aren't you the guy who LOL'd at me for suggesting that Granderson leadoff in ST?

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Aren't you the guy who LOL'd at me for suggesting that Granderson leadoff in ST?
    I didn't LOL at you, but I just didn't entertain it because TC was deadset on having Grandy cleanup to start the season. Grandy walks so much, so he might work well at the top of the lineup.

TC won't bat Murphy leadoff and Davis 2nd, so this is the only way a lineup can work without EYJ at the top. They really replaced Reyes with Torres and EYJ at the leadoff spot.

vCash
    I didn't LOL at you, but I just didn't entertain it because TC was deadset on having Grandy cleanup to start the season. Grandy walks so much, so he might work well at the top of the lineup.

TC won't bat Murphy leadoff and Davis 2nd, so this is the only way a lineup can work without EYJ at the top. They really replaced Reyes with Torres and EYJ at the leadoff spot.
    TC should not bat Murphy leadoff, nor should he hit Davis second. Murphy is a #6 of 7 hitter, and Ike is a legit cleanup hitter if he's producing.

I do like Lagares hitting 2nd if he's producing because he will get on base more than Murphy.

-Sun Tzu

vCash
    TC should not bat Murphy leadoff, nor should he hit Davis second. Murphy is a #6 of 7 hitter, and Ike is a legit cleanup hitter if he's producing.

I do like Lagares hitting 2nd if he's producing because he will get on base more than Murphy.
    Against RHP, Murphy is a very good hitter and gets on base. Lagares is just fine where he is. Batting 6th/7th.

Ike draws a lot of walks. If TC is deadset on having Grandy batting cleanup, Murphy/Ike at the top is logical, and there will be a lot of baserunners for Wright, Grandy, and CYoung to drive in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast