Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Post Why doesn't John Henson play more?

A text came through my phone around 9 PM Wednesday night:

Henson might be softer than Drake
    Topical.

A friend of mine was at the Milwaukee Bucks – Indiana Pacers game and she had seen enough out of John Henson. To be fair, she’s probably attended more games than any other friend of mine, so she’s working with some experience. And she had enough. It was time for her to take a stance on John Henson, one much more firm than any I can remember her taking before.

With her words in my head, I decided I needed to ask Larry Drew about Henson after the game. He had played only 20 minutes, despite logging 39 minutes and producing 23 points, nine rebounds, six assists and three blocks in his last game. If this guy is something of a core player for the team moving forward, how is it that he’s unable to consistently grab more minutes than … Jeff Adrien and Zaza Pachulia?

“Well … he’s just gotta keep playing hard, for one thing,” Drew said after Wednesday’s game. “And he’s gotta bring … I don’t want to say a total physical presence, but he’s gotta let it be known that he’s out there besides on the offensive end.”

One thing everyone has said about Adrien, from the moment he stepped on the court for Milwaukee is that he has a “presence”. What does that mean really? I think it’s the way most of us say that he’s out there knocking everyone out the way on his way to get the ball. He is one of the most physical big men the Bucks have had in quite some time. When cutters are moving by Adrien, he’s bumping them. When a shot goes up he isn’t watching for where it’s going to hit on the rim, he’s looking for someone to grind into the ground. He’s far more concerned about other players on the court and how he can make them uncomfortable than he is about where the ball is.

That’s a huge difference between Adrien and Henson. Not that Adrien is a perfect player by any means. Early on against the Pacers Wednesday Evan Turner a spindly sort of guard with a fair amount of craft in his game took on Adrien, who was slow to react in a pick and roll. He got Adrien off balance and used his body to push the big man under the hoop, allowing for a layup. A play or two later, Adrien again was slow on a rotation and it left Ian Mahinmi open for an easy dunk. As physical and intimidating as Adrien is on the offensive glass, he isn’t always the quickest or best reactor on defense.

But he always seems to be going as hard as he can. He doesn’t seem to quit on plays. Coaches love that sort of thing. It’s what kept Jon Brockman in the league for as long as he lasted, despite his lack of skill and size. Where Adrien always looks like he’s running on 10, Henson often looks like he’s laboring up and down the court on cruise control. Fair or not, that could bother a coach or a teammate that’s committed to running through a wall with his effort level.

Drew understands they are different players and will have different experiences on the court. That being said, he still wants Henson to be more physical.

“You know, I think, with Jeff Adrien, I think everybody sees that when he’s out on the floor, you know he’s out there and it doesn’t have to be on the offensive end,” Drew said. “He plays with a tenacity when he’s out there. I know they are two totally different players, but still, presence has to be felt when you’re out on the court when you’re a big man.”

Larry Drew doesn’t expect Henson to turn into Adrien. It didn’t sound like he wanted that either. But he wants Henson to be more of an intimidator and an embodiment of intensity, the way that both Adrien and Pachulia are. Those guys slap people around, while Henson seems more hesitant to knock a player off the block or focus on boxing someone out.

“I talk a lot about the culture and I talk a lot about, even though we are a young team we can still carry ourselves in a very professional manner in a very veteran manner,” Drew said. “And guys who are playing the minutes and guys who I am relying to be leaders of our team, I want those guys to make sure every time we step out on the floor that we go out there and we play hard. I want those guys to be mad at one another if they see one of their teammates not playing hard. Loose ball or have an opportunity to take a charge or a missed blockout, I want those guys to be upset with one another and hold each other accountable.

“That’s how the culture is built. With four games left, we’ll continue to try to keep things moving in a positive direction as far as us stepping on the floor and competing.”
    http://www.bucksketball.com/2014/04/...son-play-more/

Yeah he's been up and down all year. Regressed this year. Probably even to say coasting some games. But still. Coaching been a factor last season and this season. Anyone remember that game Henson had that monster game versus Heat last season? Next game versus Bulls got either a DNP-CD or only couple minutes. Skiles minutes were weird then. Drew's minutes are just as bad.

Yeah Adrien is a monster on the boards but also in a contract year trying to save his ***. Also giving more minutes to Adrien is increasing his pay out come next season as well. Same goes for Sessions. Heck we have young guys that need minutes but our clueless coaches last few seasons rather play old vets we don't even care to see on the team over our own home grown players we drafted.

I wouldn't be shocked our rookie this coming draft wont be pleased with coach Drew's minutes either. That's if Drew is around if we get new owners. Yeah we had injuries and what not. But heck even Middleton had nice string of games going on early in the season and his minutes dropped like a ton of lead. Even Wolters got benched for scrub Ridnour. Giannis the highlight reel barely gets consistent minutes. He want the crowd wants to see by the way.

Wait till we over pay to keep Sessions and Adrien. Then Delfino comes back. Yikes. Could be another depressing season that hasn't even started yet. Only real excitement we might have going for us next season is new owners and hopefully new coach and front office.

vCash
    Henson is soft as Charmin Ultra. My biggest beef is him and that ******* hook shot. He relies on that hook way too much. He has opportunities where he can go to the rim one on one and instead he dribbles away from it to throw up that hook. He has relied on that hook since entering the league and hasn't shown anything else offensively of note other than a couple dunks here and there.
    Young Guns

vCash
    On WSSP 1250 Ramie has bad feeling Henson is traded. Just by the little minutes he gets.

vCash
    Im not a fan of Henson but the season is already lost. You got to give the young guys minutes not a soon to be street free agent like Adrien.

Might as well trade Henson for redick back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    http://www.bucksketball.com/2014/04/...son-play-more/

Yeah he's been up and down all year. Regressed this year. Probably even to say coasting some games. But still. Coaching been a factor last season and this season. Anyone remember that game Henson had that monster game versus Heat last season? Next game versus Bulls got either a DNP-CD or only couple minutes. Skiles minutes were weird then. Drew's minutes are just as bad.

Yeah Adrien is a monster on the boards but also in a contract year trying to save his ***. Also giving more minutes to Adrien is increasing his pay out come next season as well. Same goes for Sessions. Heck we have young guys that need minutes but our clueless coaches last few seasons rather play old vets we don't even care to see on the team over our own home grown players we drafted.

I wouldn't be shocked our rookie this coming draft wont be pleased with coach Drew's minutes either. That's if Drew is around if we get new owners. Yeah we had injuries and what not. But heck even Middleton had nice string of games going on early in the season and his minutes dropped like a ton of lead. Even Wolters got benched for scrub Ridnour. Giannis the highlight reel barely gets consistent minutes. He want the crowd wants to see by the way.

Wait till we over pay to keep Sessions and Adrien. Then Delfino comes back. Yikes. Could be another depressing season that hasn't even started yet. Only real excitement we might have going for us next season is new owners and hopefully new coach and front office.
    Henson is a liability against teams like the bulls. That's why he gets the dnp. Imagine him trying to guard boozer or Noah. They would just walk him under the hoop. The reason he played well against the heat is because they have no physical inside presence.

And with the player he is now that's always gonna be the case. You can't play him against Indiana, Chicago, Memphis and those likes. He can only play against team with perimeter oriented bigs, and in those games he looks good. He had 3 years of college and is. Ow coming up on his third year in the nba, if he doesn't start getting stronger, when will he.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Henson is a liability against teams like the bulls. That's why he gets the dnp. Imagine him trying to guard boozer or Noah. They would just walk him under the hoop. The reason he played well against the heat is because they have no physical inside presence.

And with the player he is now that's always gonna be the case. You can't play him against Indiana, Chicago, Memphis and those likes. He can only play against team with perimeter oriented bigs, and in those games he looks good. He had 3 years of college and is. Ow coming up on his third year in the nba, if he doesn't start getting stronger, when will he.
    Bingo Bango.
    Young Guns

vCash
    It just blows my mind the way some of you guys talk about John Henson.

And Larry Drew, go **** yourself, if there is one that that HAS been proven to me this year it's that Larry Drew can't coach.

Just off the top of my head here is what I've seen from John Henson that none of you like to talk about for some odd reason...

1.) Henson is already a much better offensive player this year then last year. Evidence? For one he's shown on more then one occasion the ability of find an open man and make the extra pass for a great shot. That right there is a sign that he is putting things together on offense. Larry Sanders doesn't make that pass, Adrien doesn't make that pass, hell even Illy doesn't make that pass. That is valuable offensive awareness that makes teammates happy and I've been saying since we got him that you guy underrate his offensive awareness.

2.) That Sky hook tho? Come on I can't believe you guys don't say a lick about this. His sky hook is something that is coming together nicely. If he gets the chance early he can really get into a rhythm with it and thats dangerous. He's getting really good with it.

3.) Defense is a lot more than blocked shots. While Henson does get overpowered sometimes, he RARELY gets caught out of position which is more then I can say for Jeff Adrien, Ersan, Giannis, Sessions, etc. The other night against the Cavs he did get beat a bit by Tristan Thompson but come on that kid is a beast, there is a reason he was the 3rd pick or 4th. At least for the most part Henson was doing his best to body up. I agree he needs to get stronger, but you guys need to remember he's not a short limbed person, so it's going to take him longer to get there. (He's sooo long BTW) ---- Also, what kills me about this "strength" issue is that pretty much all of you are on board to put Giannis at the 4, based on his height. What you don't think Giannis is going to overpowered, hell even if he put on 20 lbs he'd still be getting pushed around.

4.) Effort/Demeanor? He does at times drift, but right now I can't really blame him too much, for one he is being sold as someone who is part of our future yet Zaza Pachulia is starting? I mean I know Henson gets minutes but alot of times they are sporadic and like I've said before, for a big guy (especially one who's a rhythm player) it's tought to find a rhythm when your playing 3 minute spurts. His effort though has only been an issue with me a few times. I think he'll be more consistent with this as he gets older and wiser and also once we get a few "professionals" here to kind of teach the right way. I'm hoping that is what Knight is doing.

I for one don't really know how you can say he's regressed because when given minutes the kid produces, his numbers are up from his first year the only thing down is his free throw percentage which worries me, but just a bit. If anything seeing more of him this year has put more confidence in me that he CAN play next to Sanders in the future. He may not have the consistent shot from 15 feet yet (he has it, just not consistent enough) but he has all the other tools needed to be a force. He passes well, rebounds at pretty high level, and has a few crafty moves in the post.

Ersan plays straight garbage defense for 4 years and we reward him with a contract that pays him 7 mill a year. Nobody has a problem with that. Why? Oh because he can shoot from outside, never mind the fact that he gets beat by literally ANY 4 in the league in the post. Never mind the fact that if he doesn't make his first couple of shots he's completely useless the rest of the game. Never mind the fact that he has no interest in rebounding the ball unless it falls in his lap ( there's a reason Gary Neal called him a 5th guard).

Good grief. If you're going to complain about someone at least complain about the right one.
    Last edited by time4change; 04-13-2014 at 08:17 AM.
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post

He can match up with Noah fine, but let's be honest who doesn't Boozer over power?

Who doesn't Zach Randolph over power? Or Marc Gasol? Or Hibbert?

I mean come on man those guys are huge. For one Boozer and Randolph are not only strong, they are two of the craftiest 4's in the league. Tough assignment for a 2nd year post player growing into his body. He shouldn't be guarding Hibbert or Gasol anyway. Larry should be. Laugh if you want, I don't think he goes anywhere. Nor should he, Mil is a great smokers city lol.
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

vCash
    I have no problem of Henson's skyhook. I like players that use the skyhook. Its classic old school move. Reason I said regressed cause of coach Drew bogus minutes for the young guys. Drew seems to favor Zaza cause they were in Atlanta together. Drew might be getting ideas from his wife and son yet about that whole college thing with Henson and their son.

I know some of you said that's water under the bridge but minutes say other wise. Drew seems to have his favorites. Look at Wolters when he was running the team. Ridnour came back and wasn't 100% and playing horribly yet still got minutes over Wolters. Heck we don't have Butler any more yet Giannis or Middleton very seldom get over 30 minutes. Their lucky to get 20 minutes most nights.

Henson should be getting tons of minutes. We don't have Sanders playing. But coach still favors his guy Zaza. Also Ersan and Adrien get the bulk of pf minutes. Drews minutes are ridiculous. Henson should be getting all back up center minutes which should easily be 18 minutes. Then should be getting some minutes whatever Ersan doesn't get. Only reason Ersan should be playing is to showcase him.

Seems like the front office has some serious man love for Adrien. Yeah nice rebounder but blackhole soon as he gets the ball. Yeah its nice most his shots are going in. But rather be force feeding our minutes to our youth. Was shocked to see Middleton and Giannis both get over 40 minutes last night. But that was on the expense of Knight not playing. Ersan didn't play last night but Adrien managed to get 30 minutes.

Henson got 23 minutes last night without Ersan playing at all. But another lost man finally got to see the floor as in Raduljica. He was a fan favorite early in the season then got lost on the bench. Typical Drew. Feel sorry for the next kid we draft. Cause some journeymen will see more minutes then them as usual.

vCash
    T4C, are you actually saying that you and I agree on something? Call the cops !!!!!!! LOL

vCash
    And Henson is also completely useless when his first couple shots don't go in either. He is weak, it's pretty simple. I haven't been impressed by him all that much. He plays just as hot and cold as Ersan, maybe worse. He's long and can put up good box scores but I don't think he's a very good player. Sure he can still improve, but he's had 3 years of college and 2 years of pros now and hasn't resembled anything close to a complete package yet.

vCash
    Another thing is when Henson get 30 minutes or more he averages 15.2 pts, 9.5 rebs., 2.4 assists, 2.2 blks, .063 steals. Kinda hard to look consistent when Drew's dogging players. Still think its Drew's old lady and son yapping in coach Drew's ear about Henson. Hope Drew is fired once we get new owners. Rather see a college coach bumped up. Or worse case Cassell or Kareem as a coach.

vCash
    Another thing is when Henson get 30 minutes or more he averages 15.2 pts, 9.5 rebs., 2.4 assists, 2.2 blks, .063 steals. Kinda hard to look consistent when Drew's dogging players. Still think its Drew's old lady and son yapping in coach Drew's ear about Henson. Hope Drew is fired once we get new owners. Rather see a college coach bumped up. Or worse case Cassell or Kareem as a coach.
    Scott Drew from Baylor or Fred Hoiberg from Iowa State would be good ones to shoot for IMO. NBA wise I'd like to get a look at Robert Pack (assistant for Clippers)... hard nosed guy but fair and he's the guy that has developed Bledsoe and Collison.
    Last edited by Superfly; 04-13-2014 at 01:14 PM.

vCash
    That's because when he's playing well, he gets minutes. When he's playing poorly, he's a major liability, and those games he doesn't get 30 minutes. I don't think it's fair at all to extrapolate those numbers out and say if you give him 30, he'll get you those numbers consistently.

Like I've said, he's a huge liability against any team with strength. He literally just gets backed under the hoop.

vCash
    Doesn't Henson already play 27 minutes a game? He doesn't exactly show out in those 27 minutes to warrant 40. Drew helped build up Al Horford when the Hawks had Josh Smith and Zaza. He knows what he is doing. People make the argument that Jeff Adrien is only producing because our team is so bad, well then why the hell can't Henson do the same? I don't hate Henson by any means, but he has been a big disappointment. No improvement. Not even on his free throws, which is a terrible sign for a player who played 3 years of college ball and 2 years as a pro.
    Young Guns

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast