10:45
    AM ET
    By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

Recommend15
    Tweet7
    Comments6
    Email
    Print

Gil Brandt's piece on NFL.com highlighting Aaron Dobson among second-year players in the NFL he projects will make a big jump got us thinking about the rest of the Patriots' sophomore class.

In the best-case scenario for the Patriots, here's a snapshot look at a reasonable role that some of those players might be able to fill.

LB Jamie Collins (second round, 52nd overall) -- After playing 25 percent of the defensive snaps during the regular season as a rookie, he emerges as a three-down linebacker, seldom leaving the field.

WR Aaron Dobson (second round, 59th overall) -- Top outside receiver, providing a down-the-field threat.

CB Logan Ryan (third round, 83rd overall) -- Vying for a starting role opposite Darrelle Revis, while possibly expanding his duties to include some safety work alongside Devin McCourty if depth becomes an issue there. He played 51.7 percent of the defensive snaps during the 2013 regular season.

S Duron Harmon (third round, 90th overall) -- Starter alongside McCourty, adding size (6-0, 205) and smarts to the back end. He played 36.9 percent of the defensive snaps last year and the game wasn't too big for him.

WR Josh Boyce (fourth round, 102nd overall) -- Primary kickoff returner and part of the top-five receiving mix after playing 14 percent of the offensive snaps last year.

DE Michael Buchanan (seventh round, 226th overall) -- Nickel pass-rusher with better discipline in his rush lanes.

LB Steve Beauharnais (seventh round, 235th overall) -- Top reserve linebacker and core special-teamer to fill the void created by Dane Fletcher's free-agent defection to Tampa.

WR Kenbrell Thompkins (undrafted) -- Competes for top outside receiver role after playing 46.3 percent of the offensive snaps during the 2013 regular season.

DT Chris Jones (claimed on waivers; sixth round, Texans) -- Top interior sub rusher after a 2013 rookie season in which he exceeded expectations (68 percent of the defensive snaps in the regular season).

DT Joe Vellano (undrafted) -- Bulks up and competes for backup role after playing 57.7 percent of the defensive snaps in 2013.

P Ryan Allen (undrafted) -- Builds on strong rookie season by gaining more control and cutting down on touchbacks.

WR/TE Mark Harrison (undrafted) -- After spending last year on injured reserve (foot), he competes for a roster spot, possibly as a "move" tight end.

G Josh Kline (undrafted) -- Competes for a starting role at guard after emerging late last season.

C/G Chris Barker (undrafted/claimed on waivers, Dolphins) -- Competes for roster spot after spending a full season in a reserve role on the 53-man roster.

C Braxston Cave (undrafted/claimed on waivers, Browns) -- After a year of grooming on the practice squad, the Notre Dame alum competes with Ryan Wendell for the center job.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

From me: I know some of these guys came to attention due to injuries, but given the drafting slots the results in the draft and UDFA were really good in year #1. Half of them or more will be gone in 3 years, but it was still a great job by BB to ID and get these coached up for their roles.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    We could see some major returns from this draft next year. A lot of these guys are in a good position to contribute and further their careers. Hopefully they take advantage and stay healthy.

vCash
    In the best-case scenario for the Patriots, here's a snapshot look at a reasonable role that some of those players might be able to fill.
    To those thinking he's being overly optimistic, he says best-case scenario at the beginning.

I remember reading the article and Braxston Cave caught my attention. Glad we have a few C options already there to compete and push Wendell incase we don't draft a C.
    Studs

vCash
    yep,i read that article with a lot of optimism . i like each one of those guys and i think they should create a great camp. i do think there is a good possibility of losing some of them in that camp competition.i want to think dobson improves his hands over last season and is definitely on the team but i have to think the rest of those receivers have to prove their way onto the roster. i like thompkins,think boyce offers versatility unique to him and i dream that harrison also has unique skills to show.the undrafted linemen can really step it up too,so yeah, as i say i am optimistic.

vCash
    Who do you guys see making the roster this year? Here's what I'm guessing will happen:

LB Jamie Collins (second round, 52nd overall) -- Obviously makes it. Star potential.
    Ross Tucker ‏@RossTuckerNFL Jan 19

Remember the reports that Patriots scouts were mad because Belichick overruled them on Jamie Collins pick? Bill knows.
    WR Aaron Dobson (second round, 59th overall) -- Obviously makes it. Healthy Amendola + 2nd year Dobson + Lafell = Improved deep game. Not great, but improved.

CB Logan Ryan (third round, 83rd overall) -- Obviously makes it. Will get snaps when Browner is suspended and Dennard might be suspended too. Might play S and if he has a knack for it, could end up replacing McCourty.

S Duron Harmon (third round, 90th overall) -- Obviously makes it. Should play a pretty good amount of snaps, but I don't see him never leaving the field like McCourty. Might play 1 safety high and put out another CB at times, or if we draft a SS high, he could get a decent amount of snaps at some point too.

WR Josh Boyce (fourth round, 102nd overall) -- I'm 50/50 on this one. Last on the depth chart and primary kickoff returner and backup punt returner perhaps?

DE Michael Buchanan (seventh round, 226th overall) -- Probably, but not a lock IMO. He could be replaced by a draft pick + a veteran. At least he doesn't have to worry about Bequette taking his job.

LB Steve Beauharnais (seventh round, 235th overall) -- I think so. We would draft another LB for depth.

WR Kenbrell Thompkins (undrafted) -- I don't think he makes it. He's going to have to bring it during training camp.

DT Chris Jones (claimed on waivers; sixth round, Texans) -- Unsure. If we draft someone his chances go down. Wilfork, Kelly, Siliga, Draft Pick, Jones, Armstead. I'm not sure we go with 6 unless there is enough positional flexibility there for some to play DE in a 3-4 or something... End of the depth chart and I'm guessing Armstead will leapfrog him.

DT Joe Vellano (undrafted) -- Unlikely. Will have to at least beat out Jones for a shot.

P Ryan Allen (undrafted) -- Obviously makes it. Solid rookie season. Bill made a fantastic choice grabbing this guy and choosing him over Mesko.

WR/TE Mark Harrison (undrafted) -- Unlikely, but I'm hopeful.

G Josh Kline (undrafted) -- 1/3 of the Oline guys will make it, maybe 2/3.

C/G Chris Barker (undrafted/claimed on waivers, Dolphins) -- 1/3 of the Oline guys will make it, maybe 2/3.

C Braxston Cave (undrafted/claimed on waivers, Browns) -- 1/3 of the Oline guys will make it, maybe 2/3.

Don't forget about those classic BB surprise cuts. You never know..
    Studs

vCash
    I think Boyce and Amendola are in a fight for one roster spot.

Locks: Edleman, Dobson, LaFell, Slater.

That's 4 guys. I'd expect us to keep 6 WRs. I think Amendola/Boyce will fight for one spot, along with any other slot types we bring in through the draft (if any). Thompkins will fight with any other outside WR we bring in for the other spots. I expect us to sign one vet for this competition after the draft when teams cut guys. With the WR class being so deep

I know many think Amendola's guaranteed salary will save him but I don't think so. It's a sunk cost. We pay it whether he's here or not. I'd rather pay it and have a better team than pay it and have a worse team by keeping him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    I am optimistic about the 2nd year group. Out of the 15 players I see it this way.

IN

1-6 Dobson although foot injuries bother me. He may be delayed this year. Collins, Ryan, Harmon, Allen. I'm adding Boyce here hoping he assumes all return duties and gets more touches on O.

90% IN

7-9 Jones, Kline and Barker.

10-11 Thompkins and Vellano both depend on injuries. If we are healthy neither have a good chance.

80% IN

12-13 Buchanan and Beauharnais both play positions of need on our team and have a year in the system.

Unknown until after pre season

14-15 Harrison and Cave
    Last edited by captmike; 04-13-2014 at 01:44 AM.

vCash
    I agree Boyce is in. Amendola is out if they get better or TB just tells BB that he doesn't trust him.

I don't think Buchanan is so close to the bubble, we'd have to pick up two player that outplay him for that to happen. His Achilles is the run game, he does have to show some improvement in camp to be 100% safe, but he must have been told that. With regular PT and that secondary he could net 10 sacks. I wonder if they would play him inside instead of jones to cut down on his lateral responsibilities in the run game? 3rd and long is more apt to be a run or screen around T than up the gut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I agree Boyce is in. Amendola is out if they get better or TB just tells BB that he doesn't trust him.

I don't think Buchanan is so close to the bubble, we'd have to pick up two player that outplay him for that to happen. His Achilles is the run game, he does have to show some improvement in camp to be 100% safe, but he must have been told that. With regular PT and that secondary he could net 10 sacks. I wonder if they would play him inside instead of jones to cut down on his lateral responsibilities in the run game? 3rd and long is more apt to be a run or screen around T than up the gut.
    Id try to flip Amendola and maybe a late pick to Philly for Brandon Graham, they are in need of a slot after letting Avant go (maclin and cooper are your wideouts) and Graham has "fallen out" with the staff. But I agree if any WR gets cut it's him... He's too redundant , especially with Collie available on the shadow roster for the minimum. Plus I just don't like the idea of cutting young WRs when it's the hardest position to adjust to in the NFL IMO, especially with Brady. As for Buchanon, he's got some quickness, but lacks strength...gets pushed way past the QB when pass rushing, and like you said a liability in the run game... Well see if a year of PT and strength training will allow him to improve. He did get passed by old man Carter on the depth chart last year, but got a little playing time back near the end of the season, I still would like a DE or disruptive DT early in the draft.
    PSD's Brian Tyms

vCash
    I hope Aaron Dobson makes the "Alshon Jeffrey" 2nd year leap-or something close to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think Boyce and Amendola are in a fight for one roster spot.

Locks: Edleman, Dobson, LaFell, Slater.

That's 4 guys. I'd expect us to keep 6 WRs. I think Amendola/Boyce will fight for one spot, along with any other slot types we bring in through the draft (if any). Thompkins will fight with any other outside WR we bring in for the other spots. I expect us to sign one vet for this competition after the draft when teams cut guys. With the WR class being so deep

I know many think Amendola's guaranteed salary will save him but I don't think so. It's a sunk cost. We pay it whether he's here or not. I'd rather pay it and have a better team than pay it and have a worse team by keeping him.
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

cutting Amendola (straight) accelerates 2.225 million in dead money onto this years cap. Would cut down our available cap space this year from ~7 mil to ~5 mil. 0 cap hit in the years after this one.

cutting Amendola as a June 1 cut makes his cap hit this year 1.2 million, increasing our available cap this year from ~7 mil to ~10 mil; but giving a cap hit in 2015 of 3.6 million.

so they have options.

I still think he stays though.
    Lester to the Cubs??