Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

"I think that went of Smitty's face" - Ryan Smyth to announce retirement

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448955

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, Smyth is ready to announce his retirement and Saturday's contest between the Edmonton Oilers and Vancouver Canucks will be his final game.

The 38-year-old has scored 10 goals and added 13 assists in 70 games with the Oilers this season. He has 386 goals and 842 assists in 1,268 career NHL games with the Oilers, New York Islanders, Colorado Avalanche and Los Angeles Kings.

Smyth was drafted sixth overall by the Oilers in the first round of the 1994 NHL Draft. He played in Edmonton until he was traded to the Islanders on deadline day in 2007.

Smyth was traded back to the Oilers prior to the 2011 season, after spending two seasons with each of the Avalanche and Kings.

Smyth won a gold medal at Salt Lake City 2002 while playing for Team Canada.
    well it was probably about time. has a had a good career considering he made his living eating pucks in front of the net. not that i think so but is he HOF worthy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448955

well it was probably about time. has a had a good career considering he made his living eating pucks in front of the net. not that i think so but is he HOF worthy?
    I would say no, was a wizard in front of the net, but the numbers aren't quite there IMO. Great player in his prime no doubt, but not HOF worthy.

vCash
    Here's a fact. Ryan Smyth was never great and those numbers above are inaccurate. He has 842 total points. He has not once gotten above 70 points in a single season. He's been the man sure, but on some pretty terrible teams. Still shocking how Edmonton reached the finals, but that was truly the highlight.

He's hit 50+ points 10 times. Was a terrific player. An elite player in front of the net. I'd say he was 1 or 2 for years with Tomas Holmstrom inthat area. Played a warrior style, but no.. not a HOF player.

vCash
    Nope..
    We got this!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Here's a fact. Ryan Smyth was never great and those numbers above are inaccurate. He has 842 total points. He has not once gotten above 70 points in a single season. He's been the man sure, but on some pretty terrible teams. Still shocking how Edmonton reached the finals, but that was truly the highlight.

He's hit 50+ points 10 times. Was a terrific player. An elite player in front of the net. I'd say he was 1 or 2 for years with Tomas Holmstrom inthat area. Played a warrior style, but no.. not a HOF player.
    you're right they ****ed up his stats. i wouldnt even have brought up the question if they had listed his stats correctly.

vCash
    No to HOF, but if they had a category for best whack-a-mole I think it might be a toss up between Smyth and Holmstrom.