Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    32,930
    vCash
    1894

    What if Duncan never got hurt before the playoffs?

    The 99 Spurs never got a chance to defend their title due to injury. The Spurs mopped the floor with the Lakers that championship season, but that was before Kobe's ascension and pre-Phil Jackson. The Lakers mopped the floor with them in the 01 "rematch", but 2 years makes a big difference with older players like D-Rob/Elliot/Avery (not to mention they lost their starting 2).

    If both were completely healthy, who wins the matchup?
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,414
    vCash
    1500
    What if Patrick Ewing was fully healthy to actually play in the 1999 NBA Finals?

    Would the Spurs even be defending champs heading into the following postseason?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    32,930
    vCash
    1894
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    What if Patrick Ewing was fully healthy to actually play in the 1999 NBA Finals?

    Would the Spurs even be defending champs heading into the following postseason?
    I've actually made that thread before. But it ends up asking for alot, Ewing going down to injury is precisely what sparked their improbable Finals run. I would agree however, if they could somehow make the Finals with Ewing "fully healthy", they would have fared better against the "Twin Towers".
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    10,112
    vCash
    2166
    another championship.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,594
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    The 99 Spurs never got a chance to defend their title due to injury. The Spurs mopped the floor with the Lakers that championship season, but that was before Kobe's ascension and pre-Phil Jackson. The Lakers mopped the floor with them in the 01 "rematch", but 2 years makes a big difference with older players like D-Rob/Elliot/Avery (not to mention they lost their starting 2).

    If both were completely healthy, who wins the matchup?
    Do you get drunk and think about threads to start? Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    jordan is 2nd or 3rd when talking career but both magic and lebron are better all around players.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,594
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by koreancabbage View Post
    another championship.
    Kobe and shaq are laughing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    jordan is 2nd or 3rd when talking career but both magic and lebron are better all around players.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,593
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSIONIST^248 View Post
    Kobe and shaq are laughing.
    What if Kobe and Shaq weren't laughing at the prospect that Duncan could be healthy for the series?


    On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

    Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.


    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

    But Tittays are forever.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    8,837
    vCash
    1500
    I think the Lakers still beat them mainly because of age and timing. The Spurs just wasn't good that year.

    Even without Duncan, they should have beaten the Suns in the first round, or at the very least, win more than 1 freaking game. A championship team can win a playoff round even without their best player. This shows they had a weak supporting cast around TD. This is mostly because of age. AJ, Elie, Elliot and DR were all on their way out. It was a transition because Ginobili was a rookie then, and Tony Parker was not a Spurs yet if I recall correctly.

    If you remember, by their next championship 3 years after, it was Parker, Ginobili and Duncan leading the team already. The years in the middle were a transition period for the Spurs, where they had an old supporting cast with a young superstar, and then turned it into a young supporting cast with a young superstar. The Lakers on that year were extremely hungry, on their prime and at the right age.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,910
    vCash
    1400
    you are starting a lot of threads these days lol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    20,890
    vCash
    1000
    This was the period of time where Shaq just started massacring other big men. I don't think Duncan would have been able to stop him and 2001 was proof of that.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LI-NY
    Posts
    23,666
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    I've actually made that thread before. But it ends up asking for alot, Ewing going down to injury is precisely what sparked their improbable Finals run. I would agree however, if they could somehow make the Finals with Ewing "fully healthy", they would have fared better against the "Twin Towers".
    Agreed. I don't know if they make the Finals with a hobbled, old and slow Ewing, but they definitely had a better shot against SA. I actually watched an interview with Ewing the other day and they asked him this question, and he candidly said he wasn't sure but it would have been a better series. This is coming from a guy who guaranteed a championship every ****ing year. I don't think it makes a huge difference, but on paper it was certainly better for that particular matchup.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

    "This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LI-NY
    Posts
    23,666
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    This was the period of time where Shaq just started massacring other big men. I don't think Duncan would have been able to stop him and 2001 was proof of that.
    I agree with this. Shaq was too dominant during those prime years. It wasn't even fair. His size would have been too much for SA.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

    "This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LI-NY
    Posts
    23,666
    vCash
    1500
    Which is why I am pretty much stumped as to who gets the nod for me between Shaq and Duncan as all time greats. Both had longevity, Duncan had more consistency along that longevity, Shaq was more dominant during his peak years where there literally was no way to defend the guy.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

    "This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Posts
    9,669
    vCash
    1500
    What if Joe Johnson didn't get injured in the 04-05 playoffs? What if Stat didn't get injured the following season? What if Diaw and Stat didn't get suspended for checking on Nash? What if someone boxed out Artest vs LA?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,939
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mdm692:28305299
    What if Joe Johnson didn't get injured in the 04-05 playoffs? What if Stat didn't get injured the following season? What if Diaw and Stat didn't get suspended for checking on Nash? What if someone boxed out Artest vs LA?
    Haha this. injures are part of the game. What's in the point in speculating what would happen without them? Every team has them, not just Duncan that one year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •