Chicago Bears #23
Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller
To me, it doesn't make sense to trade for Masterson given he may very well hit the FA market at season's end.
How "expensive" (players traded) would a trade be for him if an extension came along with it, because that's the only feasible way a trade would occur.
Just spitballing, but how expensive would the extension have to be versus the FA market price he may command? What is the combined value or worth in a trade with a Masterson extension plus the projected players given up to acquire him? How does that value/worth compare to just spending money on Masterson in the off-season?
Don't even know if my questions are answerable because of the unknowns involved.
Last edited by Timmmahhh; 04-10-2014 at 09:22 AM.
I guess all Native Americans look the same to you. That is so racist.
Was there any follow up to Levine's write up about Toronto? I saw discussion on Stroman, but is Sanchez a possibility? What about a guy like Gose? Not sure if they're willing to pull the plug on him yet, but would a package like Sanchez, Gose, and Stilman be considered or is it too little/much?
BTW, just looking through prospects, it looks like the Cardinals got the right Petrick brother.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Athletics: Have removed struggling RHP Jim Johnson from the closer's role. For the time being, they'll protect ninth-inning leads with a committee approach.
- Pirates: RHP Vin Mazzaro has accepted an outright assignment to Triple-A. (Rob Biertempfel via Twitter)
- Braves: SS Andrelton Simmons wasn't in the lineup Thursday night because of a jammed right wrist. (Mark Bowman via Twitter)
- Nationals: 3B Ryan Zimmerman, because of chronic shoulder problems, will adopt a three-quarters throwing style as opposed to an over-the-top motion. (James Wagner, Washington Post)
- Rangers: 3B Adrian Beltre has been diagnosed with a Grade 1 quad strain. While he may eventually require a stint on the DL, the team will hold off on a roster move and see how Beltre progresses over the next few days. (Evan Grant, Dallas Morning News)
- Rays: LHP Matt Moore has been diagnosed with a partially torn UCL and may require Tommy John surgery.
- Twins: OF Byron Buxton, who's widely regarded as the top prospect in all of baseball, isn't likely to see action this season until May. He's been sidelined with a sprained left wrist, and the Twins are being cautious with his time-table. (Rhett Bollinger, MLB.com)
- White Sox: OF Avisail Garcia has a torn labrum in his left shoulder. He'll soon undergo surgery and miss the remainder of the 2014 season.
- The White Sox have acquired OF Gorkys Hernandez from the Royals in exchange for cash considerations. The Sox have assigned Hernandez to Triple-A Charlotte.
The Cubs have an average rotation. It's not the area right now where they need to make major improvements. They need players who can get on base and play defense. They need relievers who don't walk a lot of guys. Their rotation is not great but it's good enough for now.
To trade for Masterson right now would be another Garza scenario.
Last edited by terencem; 04-11-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Hypothetical: (this has been proposed on here before)
We trade for Masterson and get him locked up. By the deadline Shark and the FO still aren't close to agreeing on a contract. You trade Shark and recoup the pieces that you traded to land Masterson, hopefully getting pitching prospects back.