Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread v2.0

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    To me, it doesn't make sense to trade for Masterson given he may very well hit the FA market at season's end.

How "expensive" (players traded) would a trade be for him if an extension came along with it, because that's the only feasible way a trade would occur.

Just spitballing, but how expensive would the extension have to be versus the FA market price he may command? What is the combined value or worth in a trade with a Masterson extension plus the projected players given up to acquire him? How does that value/worth compare to just spending money on Masterson in the off-season?

Don't even know if my questions are answerable because of the unknowns involved.
    Last edited by Timmmahhh; 04-10-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    Javylujah... Javylujah... Javylujah

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmmahhh View Post
    To me, it doesn't make sense to trade for Masterson given his may very well hit the FA market at season's end.

How "expensive" (players traded) would a trade be for him if an extension came along with it, because that's the only feasible way a trade would occur.

Just spitballing, but how expensive would the extension have to be versus the FA market price he may command? What is the combined value or worth in a trade with a Masterson extension plus the projected players given up to acquire him? How does that value/worth compare to just spending money on Masterson in the off-season?

Don't even know if my questions are answerable because of the unknowns involved.
    I think the only argument for trading for him is that if the Braves stumble and end up in selling mode, someone else might trade for him and potentially extend him. So if we want Masterson at a reasonable FA price we need the Braves to play really wel and Masterson to be so-so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbyJoe View Post
    I think the only argument for trading for him is that if the Braves stumble and end up in selling mode, someone else might trade for him and potentially extend him. So if we want Masterson at a reasonable FA price we need the Braves to play really wel and Masterson to be so-so.
    Masterson plays for Cleveland...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheAutomator View Post
    Masterson plays for Cleveland...
    My bad for some reason I was thinking Braves even though I knew he pitched for the Indians. Thanks for catching that.

vCash
    I guess all Native Americans look the same to you. That is so racist.

vCash
    Was there any follow up to Levine's write up about Toronto? I saw discussion on Stroman, but is Sanchez a possibility? What about a guy like Gose? Not sure if they're willing to pull the plug on him yet, but would a package like Sanchez, Gose, and Stilman be considered or is it too little/much?

vCash
    BTW, just looking through prospects, it looks like the Cardinals got the right Petrick brother.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmmahhh View Post
    To me, it doesn't make sense to trade for Masterson given he may very well hit the FA market at season's end.

Trading for Masterson makes zero sense in my opinion. He doesn't help the team contend this year and he can be had for "only" money in the off-season. If this team can somehow finally outspend someone, that is. If it's me I'll take the return on a Samardzija trade over giving up a bunch of prospects. This for half a season of Masterson and the right to a week of exclusive negotiations.

vCash
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...up-for-april-4

RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.

- Athletics: Have removed struggling RHP Jim Johnson from the closer's role. For the time being, they'll protect ninth-inning leads with a committee approach.

- Pirates: RHP Vin Mazzaro has accepted an outright assignment to Triple-A. (Rob Biertempfel via Twitter)

INJURY UPDATES

- Braves: SS Andrelton Simmons wasn't in the lineup Thursday night because of a jammed right wrist. (Mark Bowman via Twitter)

- Nationals: 3B Ryan Zimmerman, because of chronic shoulder problems, will adopt a three-quarters throwing style as opposed to an over-the-top motion. (James Wagner, Washington Post)

- Rangers: 3B Adrian Beltre has been diagnosed with a Grade 1 quad strain. While he may eventually require a stint on the DL, the team will hold off on a roster move and see how Beltre progresses over the next few days. (Evan Grant, Dallas Morning News)

- Rays: LHP Matt Moore has been diagnosed with a partially torn UCL and may require Tommy John surgery.

- Twins: OF Byron Buxton, who's widely regarded as the top prospect in all of baseball, isn't likely to see action this season until May. He's been sidelined with a sprained left wrist, and the Twins are being cautious with his time-table. (Rhett Bollinger, MLB.com)

- White Sox: OF Avisail Garcia has a torn labrum in his left shoulder. He'll soon undergo surgery and miss the remainder of the 2014 season.

TRADES

- The White Sox have acquired OF Gorkys Hernandez from the Royals in exchange for cash considerations. The Sox have assigned Hernandez to Triple-A Charlotte.
    Javylujah... Javylujah... Javylujah

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYF View Post
    Trading for Masterson makes zero sense in my opinion. He doesn't help the team contend this year and he can be had for "only" money in the off-season. If this team can somehow finally outspend someone, that is. If it's me I'll take the return on a Samardzija trade over giving up a bunch of prospects. This for half a season of Masterson and the right to a week of exclusive negotiations.
    The issue with this is that what if a team trades for Masterson and he works out an extension with them? Now, Masterson is off the market and you can't get him at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsFan_5 View Post
    The issue with this is that what if a team trades for Masterson and he works out an extension with them? Now, Masterson is off the market and you can't get him at all.
    I'll take that risk when the opposite is trading away valuable pieces and having the player walk (without even the comp pick coming back). What you would be looking at is Masterson agreeing to an extension before a trade. Paying him as well as giving up players is too high a cost in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYF View Post
    I'll take that risk when the opposite is trading away valuable pieces and having the player walk (without even the comp pick coming back). What you would be looking at is Masterson agreeing to an extension before a trade. Paying him as well as giving up players is too high a cost in my opinion.
    Not to mention there will be another Masterson or another good pitcher available in a trade in a couple seasons when the Cubs really want to push-in toward a world series. Masterson is just another player in a long line of players who some Cubs fans have become fixed on because he's a solid player who's young enough to have some good years ahead of him. There will be more Justin Mastersons.

The Cubs have an average rotation. It's not the area right now where they need to make major improvements. They need players who can get on base and play defense. They need relievers who don't walk a lot of guys. Their rotation is not great but it's good enough for now.

To trade for Masterson right now would be another Garza scenario.
    Last edited by terencem; 04-11-2014 at 01:33 PM.

vCash
    Hypothetical: (this has been proposed on here before)

We trade for Masterson and get him locked up. By the deadline Shark and the FO still aren't close to agreeing on a contract. You trade Shark and recoup the pieces that you traded to land Masterson, hopefully getting pitching prospects back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsFan_5 View Post
    Hypothetical: (this has been proposed on here before)

We trade for Masterson and get him locked up. By the deadline Shark and the FO still aren't close to agreeing on a contract. You trade Shark and recoup the pieces that you traded to land Masterson, hopefully getting pitching prospects back.
    What makes you think we can/will lock up Masterson if we won't lock Samardzija up?

I suppose it's possible, but far from a sure thing.

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast