Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Dee Milliner among players set for second-year step-Brandt

Dee Milliner, CB, New York Jets

Milliner didn't initially live up to the hype that came with being the No. 9 overall pick in last year's draft -- missing a handful of games in the first half as he dealt with injury issues -- but he really showed something toward the end of the season, specifically in Weeks 16 and 17. In those two games, Milliner broke up 10 passes -- that's practically unheard of, the equivalent of having four interceptions in one game -- and snagged three picks. Milliner has the size, speed and long arms needed for the position. He's also a very good tackler and blitzer. Being viewed by many as the replacement for Darrelle Revis didn't make Milliner's rookie year any easier. While I don't know if you can ever truly replace Revis, Milliner has turned it around, and I think he has a better-than-average chance of making the Pro Bowl within the next two years.

Projection for 2014: 25 pass breakups, five interceptions.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...econdyear-step

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    He missed pretty much the full offseason.....that hurts anyone's development, let alone a Rookie.

It means he also wasn't able to take full advantage of strenght and conditioning program - world of difference than college

He had to learn a whole new technique with back pedaling off of press man.

The man deserves a break

vCash
    I don't think that the Jets coaching or management want to have an amazing D-Line and then have corners that suck. So the fact that they did not make a big splash- to me- says that they have a ton of faith in this kid. One thing I've trusted is their ability to evaluate defense. So, that speaks to me, and I believe that he will have a breakout year as well

vCash
    Those are pretty crazy numbers for just 2 games. Let's hope he can keep that up.

I was one who wanted to draft him at the 9th spot so I finely believe in his ability.

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

vCash
    I also wanted him at 9. We need him to be the guy badly. Our d line should help him either way

vCash
    If Dee does step up, it solves the #1 CB position for the foreseeable future! He will get tested this season with some of the WR's the Jets are going to have to play.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    Come to think of it, someone that may benefit the most from the Decker signing is Milliner. This is where Decker's intangibles show.

He is the type to take someone under his wing and really help them. No reason why he couldnt with a CB who was lining up against him all training camp

Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

vCash
    I'm not sold on him honestly but hey, go Dee. We need him.

vCash
    I think his ceiling is honestly a #2 corner. Showing up for only 3 games when playing in 13 is not good guys.

I know he was a rookie, but corners picked after him had better years.

Call me when he becomes more consistent. Oh he shut Gordon down, I don't think so. Gordon still had close to a 100 yards. How many times was he benched early in the year? I rem the first game vs New England the guy didn't even line up on his guy. He's got no awareness back there and I think the last 2 games or so was a fluke.

He needs to prove to me this year that he can be a consistent corner that can shut down the other teams good wide receivers and then maybe I will be off the hate train, but I was not impressed last year. Not at all. Him and Cromartie along with the rest of that secondary were a disaster.

vCash

Dee Milliner among players set for second-year step-Brandt

I always wondered what you thought of Revis after his 1st season?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    It's not as if he just had 3 nice games. After injuries and a lack of OTAs while learning a new technique onto of jumping up the comp he was playing he got out the gates slow but improved as the year went on.

That is what has people excited about him. If he keeps on going at that rate he can become what a lot of people thought he would be.

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7:28302384
    I think his ceiling is honestly a #2 corner. Showing up for only 3 games when playing in 13 is not good guys.

Call me when he becomes more consistent. Oh he shut Gordon down, I don't think so. Gordon still had close to a 100 yards. How many times was he benched early in the year? I rem the first game vs New England the guy didn't even line up on his guy. He's got no awareness back there and I think the last 2 games or so was a fluke.

He needs to prove to me this year that he can be a consistent corner that can shut down the other teams good wide receivers and then maybe I will be off the hate train, but I was not impressed last year. Not at all. Him and Cromartie along with the rest of that secondary were a disaster.
    Based on this comment I have to wonder if you read the thread. There are several specific reasons (most have been outlined in other posters' comments) that explained Milliner's slow start and they go beyond the standard "well he was a rookie," line. I won't rehash all of that but I will say that you need to remember the difference in scheme when comparing Milliner's performance to that of other rookies. Rex put him on an island with little help last season whereas many of the other rookie corners played in cover 2 zone systems, and that's a world of difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post

I agree, consistency is key. He has ALOT to prove.

With that being said, dont lump him in with other Rookies. Due to his surgery he missed almost all of the offseason. FOR A ROOKIE, the OTAs, Mini Camps, Training Camp, and preseason is the most critical time. There are so many new concepts for them to digest, and he didnt get a chance to "implement what he learned" on the field until basically real game time.

BTW - Learned a new technique amidst missing all that time

Nonetheless, this year will be a very telling year for him. He will be a fun player to focus on and watch

Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    He has the skills and size to cover anyone. My exasperation with him was for never turning his head to find the ball. His technique was terrible. At the end of the season, he started to do that and his game began to change.

It takes some time getting used to the change in the game from the NCAA to the NFL. He had no off season time and was injured. I hope he develops into the type of player he's capable of being.

As Jets fans, we act like this Jet is either taking off to new heights or crashing to the ground. There is never a normal ride with some turbulence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    He has the skills and size to cover anyone. My exasperation with him was for never turning his head to find the ball. His technique was terrible. At the end of the season, he started to do that and his game began to change.

It takes some time getting used to the change in the game from the NCAA to the NFL. He had no off season time and was injured. I hope he develops into the type of player he's capable of being.
    Saban develops press man CBs at Bama, but they don't backpedal in his system . The whole reason the backpedal is so they don't get lost out there when ball is in the air (keep QB in field of vision until WR commits to route and ball is in air) . I think he got benched because he resorted back to old techniques, in which he lost the ball and gave up big plays. The lame duck touchdown vs the Bills is the perfect example...had he backpedaled that was a pick 6, instead he was completely lost.

Not coincidentally he started playing better when he started sticking with good technique
    Last edited by Realistik84; 04-14-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast