Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    50,920
    vCash
    1500

    Jets Preseason Schedule

    Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    #Jets preseason schedule:

    Week 1: home vs. Colts
    Week 2: at Cincy
    Week 3: home vs. Giants
    Week 4: at Philly 8/28

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,196
    vCash
    1500
    I like.

    Good test for the defense in Q1 vs Colts
    Good test for Offense vs good D in Cincy - Usually 2 Quarter of starters in Week 2
    Always a good matchup vs Giants - who will be this years season ending injury in this game...always one
    Good matchup and conditioning game for D for Q1 of Week 4

    Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,196
    vCash
    1500
    People can laugh at preseason...I personally love it and dont want it shortened.

    From a fans perspective it isnt "sexy", and it is bullcrap they charge same amount for season tix holders as real games.

    However, the importance of these games for coaches cannot be understated. A WHOLE offseason of work, planning, playbook creation, scheme creation, and practice, is put to test in these 4 games.

    Also, while we may have 15 known starters, these 4 games determine the remaining 7 or so

    Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canadian In Michigan.
    Posts
    41,953
    vCash
    1500
    Colts are a different look. Like that.

    I like the length of the preseason too. Maybe cut it down one game if anything but overall I think its' perfect.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    112
    vCash
    1500
    Count me as one who would like to see the last pre-season game become the first game of the REGULAR season... The 4th pre-season game is a joke. It's really all about the coaches deciding on the 4 players or so they will keep for special teams. Last game is a total waste IMO.

    I'd like 3 pre-season games and 17 regular season games. With an even number of regular season games (16) - every year there seems to be some team that is knocked out of the playoffs by some tie-breaker. With an odd number of games - the need for these tie-breakers will become reduced quite a bit...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,196
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Denver Jim View Post
    Count me as one who would like to see the last pre-season game become the first game of the REGULAR season... The 4th pre-season game is a joke. It's really all about the coaches deciding on the 4 players or so they will keep for special teams. Last game is a total waste IMO.

    I'd like 3 pre-season games and 17 regular season games. With an even number of regular season games (16) - every year there seems to be some team that is knocked out of the playoffs by some tie-breaker. With an odd number of games - the need for these tie-breakers will become reduced quite a bit...
    So....you admit that the last game is for coaches to decide the remaining roster spots, yet claim it is a joke. This is contradictory to me. Special Teams is a VERY important part of the game. Furthermore, the depth of the roster - never know when your going to know you need it.

    With the way the NFLPA ****ed up practices, and barely allowing pads, we cant expect these guys to spend all their time in the meeting room then execute on the field. They need these games to get into game speed, game tempo, execute scheme and strategy.

    Please - dont be disillusioned because your a fan and only care about the entertainment factor. There is a lot more that goes into it than the final product we see on Sunday.

    Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    112
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
    So....you admit that the last game is for coaches to decide the remaining roster spots, yet claim it is a joke. This is contradictory to me. Special Teams is a VERY important part of the game. Furthermore, the depth of the roster - never know when your going to know you need it.

    With the way the NFLPA ****ed up practices, and barely allowing pads, we cant expect these guys to spend all their time in the meeting room then execute on the field. They need these games to get into game speed, game tempo, execute scheme and strategy.

    Please - dont be disillusioned because your a fan and only care about the entertainment factor. There is a lot more that goes into it than the final product we see on Sunday.
    Not contradictory at all - I just think an extra game is a waste of time just to give the coaches some more time to decide on a few special teams spots. They know who can play and who can't by then and having a whole game dedicated to a vast majority of players who will just be getting cut is just silly and it's not like these players are competing against other NFL players - they are competing against another team's 3rd & 4th stringers. Not exactly a good sample to use, to decide if guys can play at the NFL level. Besides - the practice squad available if you have guys on the bubble that you want to keep.

    I understand some of the points you make - game time is important. I agree with that... But honestly - a 3rd / 4th stringer game against other 3rd and 4th stringers doesn't really shed light on who can play at an NFL level. It really is just another way for the owners to get an extra game in and make an extra buck.

    After weeks and weeks of OTA's, mini-camps, training camp, etc - I highly doubt coaches go into many 4th pre-season games without an idea on who is up to par and who isn't and (except in some very rare circumstances) one game against another teams probable roster cuts isn't really going to make a huge difference on deciding whether a guy is ready to make the roster or not.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,196
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Denver Jim View Post
    Not contradictory at all - I just think an extra game is a waste of time just to give the coaches some more time to decide on a few special teams spots. They know who can play and who can't by then and having a whole game dedicated to a vast majority of players who will just be getting cut is just silly and it's not like these players are competing against other NFL players - they are competing against another team's 3rd & 4th stringers. Not exactly a good sample to use, to decide if guys can play at the NFL level. Besides - the practice squad available if you have guys on the bubble that you want to keep.

    I understand some of the points you make - game time is important. I agree with that... But honestly - a 3rd / 4th stringer game against other 3rd and 4th stringers doesn't really shed light on who can play at an NFL level. It really is just another way for the owners to get an extra game in and make an extra buck.

    After weeks and weeks of OTA's, mini-camps, training camp, etc - I highly doubt coaches go into many 4th pre-season games without an idea on who is up to par and who isn't and (except in some very rare circumstances) one game against another teams probable roster cuts isn't really going to make a huge difference on deciding whether a guy is ready to make the roster or not.
    I dont want to sound like I am beating you up, but your missing some key concepts here.

    It is not about coaches, watching players play against a different team.
    It is about coaches taking young talent and see who can apply what was learned in the classroom to the field.

    For kids out of college, there is a whole new level of terminology, play design, gap concepts, schemes, etc...plus they need to prove ability to diet properly, exorcise, training, etc...so that when it comes game time they can execute plays and be in exceptional shape and not get worked up.

    I would argue there are plenty of times where the better football player gets cut, because he cannot understand system. You and I dont see playbooks. We dont see how a play was designed. Therefore often times we act like that isnt a big part of it.

    Have you ever tried to memorize 1000 plays (Thats how big a typical playbook is). Now memorize audibles and change in formations based on limited hand signals or one/two words.

    THIS IS THE BIG PART OF PRESEASON. Identifying who, following OTAs, Mini Camps, Training Camp, and preseason can illustrate an understanding of the offense or defense.

    In fact, coaches from two teams will meet prior to a preseason game and say "Hey - I really want my guys to be tested here" and the opposing coach will accomodate by calling plays enabling the other team to get a good assessment.

    Trust me - the preseason games are extremely valuable. It is just transparent to you and I unless you really give it thought.

    W

    Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    583
    vCash
    1500
    That last game should be interesting albeit it's a preseason. Vick vs Sanchez. The battle of green and white.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    112
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
    I dont want to sound like I am beating you up, but your missing some key concepts here.

    It is not about coaches, watching players play against a different team.
    It is about coaches taking young talent and see who can apply what was learned in the classroom to the field.

    For kids out of college, there is a whole new level of terminology, play design, gap concepts, schemes, etc...plus they need to prove ability to diet properly, exorcise, training, etc...so that when it comes game time they can execute plays and be in exceptional shape and not get worked up.

    I would argue there are plenty of times where the better football player gets cut, because he cannot understand system. You and I dont see playbooks. We dont see how a play was designed. Therefore often times we act like that isnt a big part of it.

    Have you ever tried to memorize 1000 plays (Thats how big a typical playbook is). Now memorize audibles and change in formations based on limited hand signals or one/two words.

    THIS IS THE BIG PART OF PRESEASON. Identifying who, following OTAs, Mini Camps, Training Camp, and preseason can illustrate an understanding of the offense or defense.

    In fact, coaches from two teams will meet prior to a preseason game and say "Hey - I really want my guys to be tested here" and the opposing coach will accomodate by calling plays enabling the other team to get a good assessment.

    Trust me - the preseason games are extremely valuable. It is just transparent to you and I unless you really give it thought.

    W

    I understand totally where you are coming from and I think we are just arguing a minor point. Everything you state is true... but my point is the just about the LAST game. Schemes, learning terminology, etc. are all still being done in the first 3 pre-season games when the back-ups play a ton anyway! I'm not arguing your point at all.

    I just think the 4th game is a waste of time and overkill. Can you honestly say it's worth it when you know just about every single player in the 4th game is getting cut the next day? Like I said - that final game is beneficial to maybe 4 or 5 players. Mostly special team players to boot. That is it.

    If it was as beneficial as you state - why don't they play the starters for a quarter like in the first game? Seems to me the coaches would want them sharp for the 1st game. Or maybe just use the 2nd stringers most of the game since they don't get as many reps in practice? a lot of those guys are rookies too.

    Instead every player playing in the 2nd half of the 4th game is getting cut (or maybe one or two are getting put on the practice squad.) Look - I understand the game - played it every year from the time I was 6 up through HS and even played a bit in college (just some Div. III but quit early due to class scheduling issues)... I understand what it takes to get a team ready and what it is like to move up and complete at higher levels and how that can be a difficult transition. I'm not some fat guy sitting behind my computer just talking smack. The point I'm making is these guys have all played their whole life. They have reached the top league. One more game against other guys about to get cut really isn't all your making it out to be.

    In fact - the NFL, the players and the owners have all discussed doing away with some pre-season games and maybe added another regular season game or two. (Personally think two is overboard)... I understand a lot of that discussion has to do with money, but the season ticket holders pay for that game anyway - whether it is pre-season or not. I would suspect that a lot of players would have no problem getting rid of that game, if just because at that point - most of those guys wont be playing the next week anyway.

    Look - I understand your point. I just disagree that a 4th pre-season game is beneficial to the team as a whole. Especially how it is used now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •