Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Jansens Blown Save - Poor pitch selection?

Jansen's cutter is 94-96 on average. When Miggy came up, he started throwing 98-99...so I think he was throwing a 2-seamer, not a cutter. But I could be wrong, maybe he just really geared up the cutter? Either way a 99 MPH cutter would have as much time to cut.

I think this strategy was okay for Miggy, because he is such a unique hitter, I think you have to take an unorthodox approach. I recall Miggy could hit Mo Rivera well, so maybe he can hit cutters better than most people. The result was a K so it worked.

But then when Victor Martinez came up, he didnt go back to the cutter...which should be more effective against lefties...correct? He kept throwing that 98-99 MPH fastball. He went back to the cutter the following batter and got the final out.

Why didn't he throw his bread and butter to Victor?

This is who I would send to the NBA Lottery.

vCash
    I know Martinez homered on a cutter about a week earlier against the royals, maybe that played a factor into the dodgers scouting report for him.. Idk

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    All of his 19 pitches last night were classified as cutters

They averaged 96.7 MPH and 2.84 inches of horizontal break and 10.4 inches of vertical break.

Against Cabrera his 6 pitches averaged 98.5 MPH and 2.19 inches of horizontal break and 11.25 inches of vertical break.

His 2 pitches to Martinez averaged 97.3 MPH and 2.86 inches of horizontal break and 11.46 inches of vertical break.

Further
    his 2 pitches to Martinez had 2411 and 2503 RPM and about a 170 degree spin axis. Those 2 pitches weren't significantly different than any of his other 17 pitches on the night.

I don't see the evidence that he threw any different to Martinez than to anyone else.

*All data from brooks baseball

Since 2007 Cabrera has been 1.25 runs above average per 100 cutters that he's faced. That's one of his worse rates against any pitch.
    *http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...fxpitchvaluesc

Cabrera was 2-7 against Rivera all time with 2 HR's and 1 K
    *http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...tter=cabremi01

For

vCash
    His pitches get classified as cutters, but I think he just throws them like a 4 seem fast ball and they just naturally cut.

vCash
    That cutter to Martinez last night sure didn't work out...

vCash
    I stand corrected. Just threw me off that he is all of a sudden throwin 98, and coincidentally getting hit.

Maybe the 98 just looks like its not breaking as much, could be optical illusion.

It's too early in the season to rear back like that Jansen, save those pitches for the playoffs. Just throw 94 cutters like you always do...He did better in the AZ series.

This is who I would send to the NBA Lottery.

vCash
    99MPH cutters lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LASportsFan1996 View Post
    99MPH cutters lol
    With hardly any cut...+ less control. Another blown save yesterday smh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PickernRoller View Post
    With hardly any cut...
    His cutter has almost identical movement horizontally and more movement vertically than last season.

Another blown save yesterday smh.
    I know. An infield single off of his ankle and then Pagan scores from first on another ground ball that's just fair, bounces over then bullpen mound and off the wall. What a bum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    His cutter has almost identical movement horizontally and more movement vertically than last season.

I know. An infield single off of his ankle and then Pagan scores from first on another ground ball that's just fair, bounces over then bullpen mound and off the wall. What a bum.
    So you think he's a bum? Or, the only thing you're good at doing is posting sarcastic replies to my posts? Let me know if or when the butthurt goes away....

So the cut is not the problem. Well something must be: control, speed, pitch selection....then again, the result is the same : blown saves.
    Last edited by PickernRoller; 04-16-2014 at 10:25 PM.

vCash
    -------

vCash
    So the cut is not the problem. Well something must be: control, speed, pitch selection....then again, the result is the same : blown saves.
    No, nothing must be wrong.
    Small sample size noise is a perfectly viable explanation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    No, nothing must be wrong.
    Small sample size noise is a perfectly viable explanation.
    Just as something being a problem is a perfect viable explanation. Opinions, everyone has one.

vCash
    Just as something being a problem is a perfect viable explanation. Opinions, everyone has one.
    What's the problem then?
    Just a few posts ago your opinion seemed to be that his cutter wasn't cutting.

vCash
    There can only be 3-4 and or a combination of issues with: speed, control, pitch selection/execution that might explain it. To assume it's noise is also to assume something is wrong.

Unless of course one is to assume everything is normal and Jansen has just been unlucky that the opposition has performed better than "normal". Then again "normal" to whom? A subjective claim itself. This is also equivalent to assuming that if Jansen keeps up this type of performance on "most" nights he will have a positive(a save) result.

Something is wrong whether it's noise or not. I don't get paid to dissect why a pitcher is having issues nor am I that knowledgeable. Jansen himself admitted that he's been having some issues but that he "kept battling" in a game not long ago.

We can only speculate. There is no correct opinion here. The only fact is blown saves.
    Last edited by PickernRoller; 04-16-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast