Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

A possible step in the right direction

Ryan West, Jerry's son, Was hired as s scout. Now I know it's only a scouting position. But maybe this is a way for Pops West to give some input from a distance. Let's hope he has some of the logo's magic.

Jerry West's Son Ryan Carries Lakers' Past into the Future as Key Scout for LA | Bleacher Report (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1mW97ik

vCash
    Good to have some fresh young blood that has the background and heritage of championship and logo background.

vCash
    Nice. I like the move. Fresh eyes in the organization

2014 CHAMPIONS

vCash
    Possibly.

vCash
    - uh, did he play in the NBA? So he got the job on just name recognition ? I get you have to start somewhere but really ? Don't know if this is a step anywhere but more so a favor - a scout for the Grizzles prior to this ?

No offense BUT there is a son of a owner running the team right now, genetics don't equal success as proven by the children of Dr Buss but time will tell.

vCash
    While you are right, I look at it like this....He has gotta be better than Chazz the bartender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestlaker75 View Post
    While you are right, I look at it like this....He has gotta be better than Chazz the bartender.
    What about random 10 guys at the bar. Is he better than them?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mao View Post
    What about random 10 guys at the bar. Is he better than them?
    Depends on who the random 10 guys happen to be. Are they NBA execs or just Joe Blow and his buddies out for a drink?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestlaker75 View Post
    Ryan West, Jerry's son, Was hired as s scout. Now I know it's only a scouting position. But maybe this is a way for Pops West to give some input from a distance. Let's hope he has some of the logo's magic.

Jerry West's Son Ryan Carries Lakers' Past into the Future as Key Scout for LA | Bleacher Report (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1mW97ik
    Isn't this old news? Hasn't he already been there for several years?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd420 View Post
    - uh, did he play in the NBA? So he got the job on just name recognition ? I get you have to start somewhere but really ? Don't know if this is a step anywhere but more so a favor - a scout for the Grizzles prior to this ?

No offense BUT there is a son of a owner running the team right now, genetics don't equal success as proven by the children of Dr Buss but time will tell.
    He doesn't have to have played in the NBA. Some of the best "basketball people" around the NBA never did. However, what distinguishes Ryan, Joey, and Jeanie from Jim and Jesse, in my opinion, is the college degree. It may sound irrelevant, because a college degree alone won't prepare you for a front office position in the NBA, but without a degree AND without the direct basketball experience you refer to (playing/coaching), how is anybody supposed to take you seriously?

You gotta have at least one or the other, and preferably both. If you've got neither (Jim, Jesse), you're just a rich kid and nothing more. Ryan has been learning about scouting since he was 10, according to the article.
    Last edited by MickeyMgl; 04-09-2014 at 05:34 AM.