Joe Dumars plans to resign as Pistons GM

2014-15 Adopt a Lion: Jeremy Ross

vCash
    don't look now but the pistons are back on top

pistons fans! start your celebration!

dumars for the leave!!!!
    POP! POP!

vCash
    Be careful of what you wish for. The grass isn't always greener.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    Yeah, it could be so much worse.

Anyway thanks for the championship years and good luck where ever you go Joe. Too bad he'll only be remembered for the awful GM and not for the player he was. At least initially, maybe over time people will forget.

Catches: 23 Yards: 210 TDs: 1

vCash
    I sure as hell hope that this team doesn't start a useless winning streak to move us out of our pick, that would be Dumars ****ing us one last time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post

Anyway thanks for the championship years and good luck where ever you go Joe. Too bad he'll only be remembered for the awful GM and not for the player he was. At least initially, maybe over time people will forget.
    Yep, for all the bad Dumars has done lately, he's also done a lot of good, mainly early on. Grant Hill for Big Ben, Stackhouse for Rip, signing Chauncey, and making the deal for Sheed to help win the '04 'ship. The 6 straight ECF's, 2 straight Finals appearances, 1 'ship. Drafting Moose, Dre, Tay, and Afflalo (though he gave up on him way too early).

But we've been bad for too long thanks to a lot of bad decisions from Joe. I'm glad he's resigning. He's still a Piston legend and I was hoping he'd be able to go out on his own terms.

So thanks for all you've done, Joe... but it's time. Hopefully we get someone who knows what they are doing in the GM chair and not just get some former player (Thomas).

vCash
    Don't resign Joe, get fired and collect unemployment!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post

Unfortunately, the NBA is "what have you done for me lately" and that's sports.

I definitely don't like the KCP pick over Burke.

The Milicic pick was a crap shoot, in that Darko was a top 5 forecasted player at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

In 2009, the real FA's that we have a chance to pick up were Gordon and CV. They were coming off of career years, but I might have signed one or the other, but not both. But take a look at the 2009 FA and tell me who you would have signed besides those two.

Not thrilled with Brandon Jennings. Smith, I'll give another year to work.

But coming from 2000 to the chip in 2004, return to Finals in 2005 and 6 straight ECF - Dumars is the second best GM to come from player rank - and is behind Jerry West.

You also have to give the guy a bit of slack from 09/10 - 11/12 due to the death of Davidson and not being able to trade for anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    Unfortunately, the NBA is "what have you done for me lately" and that's sports.

I definitely don't like the KCP pick over Burke.

The Milicic pick was a crap shoot, in that Darko was a top 5 forecasted player at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

In 2009, the real FA's that we have a chance to pick up were Gordon and CV. They were coming off of career years, but I might have signed one or the other, but not both. But take a look at the 2009 FA and tell me who you would have signed besides those two.

Not thrilled with Brandon Jennings. Smith, I'll give another year to work.

But coming from 2000 to the chip in 2004, return to Finals in 2005 and 6 straight ECF - Dumars is the second best GM to come from player rank - and is behind Jerry West.

You also have to give the guy a bit of slack from 09/10 - 11/12 due to the death of Davidson and not being able to trade for anyone.
    Truthfully, I give Jennings the nod over Smith, Jennings is just a bad shooter but isn't throwing a shot up with 20 seconds on the shot clock. Smith does. I'll give Smith the nod depending on what happens with Monroe though

vCash
    Isn't a stern recommendation from ownership to resign---the same as being fired?

Glad they let JD "decide" to resign. Unfortunately, every good thing must come to an end. Still a class act, and really, imo, a great human being/representative of the Pistons franchise/history.
    Offseason To Do List:
    1. Make an offseason to do list.
    2. Get some tips on the ladies from Clark the Cub.
    3. P90X with Prince Fielder.
    4. Compile top ten list of top ten G.O.A.T. top ten lists.

That Ain't No Bat. That A Kickstand!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester4k0 View Post
    Isn't a stern recommendation from ownership to resign---the same as being fired?

Glad they let JD "decide" to resign. Unfortunately, every good thing must come to an end. Still a class act, and really, imo, a great human being/representative of the Pistons franchise/history.
    Yeah just a way to let him save face a little

vCash
    Its about time...Good GM turned bad towards the end of his tenure, but at the end of the day thank you for the Championship in '04 & the acquisitions/draftees over the course of your run Joe D.

#HandItOnly2Bell
    SigBet that Suh stays in Detroit
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JWO35 View Post
    Sig bet!
    Sig bet!
    I'll step up. I'm pretty sure he's gone too.

vCash
    As expected. Time to move to the next era, a new leaf you might say. I give JD much respect for his decades of service. He contributed to multiple championships as both a player and manager. His problem was free agency, and coaches. I kinda feel bad for him for currently leaving some **** stains on the franchise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester4k0 View Post

Sort of, it depends on a few things. I was exec chef at a Hilton for 3+yrs, things changed(FB director), I was asked to leave with a good reference, and my severance pay. Was I fired, not sure. It worked out for me, no more 65-90 hour weeks.

vCash
    Joe did some good. Unfortunately for him and the team, he didn't evolve as the game did.

I wish him well but it was time for all concerned that he moved on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast