Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Rosenthal talks Giants

OK, I underestimated the Giants -- or at least the Giants' offense.

It's early, too early to take much of anything seriously. But the Giants averaged 5.7 runs in their first seven games, second in the National League. And while four of those games were at hitter-friendly Chase Field, against the Diamondbacks' wobbly pitching staff, the other three were in pitcher-friendly Dodger Stadium, against the supposedly mighty Dodgers.

Before right-hander Zack Greinke stifled the Giants on Sunday night, a number of Dodgers pitchers told me that they noticed a difference in the San Francisco offense, specifically citing the addition of free-agent left fielder Michael Morse.

But it isn't just Morse.

It's a healthy Angel Pagan, a slimmed-down Pablo Sandoval, an ascendant Brandon Belt -- and something intangible, as well.

"They work together (offensively)," Dodgers left-handed reliever J.P. Howell said. "Not many teams do that. You can tell they're communicating."

Functioning as a team, which in the end might be their biggest advantage over the more talented Dodgers.

The Giants, of course, won the 2010 and '12 World Series, and virtually all of their core players were part of at least one of those clubs.

Morse, a member of a close-knit Nationals club from 2009-12, said that the difference between those Washington teams and his current San Francisco team is the Giants' legacy of winning.

"Everyone has done so much in their careers. And one of the great things about it is that they've done it together," Morse said. "They tell you stories about how good it was -- and how good it's going to be again."

Pagan, meanwhile, shared an unusual motivation for returning sooner than expected from surgery on his left hamstring last season, a motivation that I could not recall another player articulating.

The surgery was expected to sideline Pagan for 12 weeks; he returned in nine and had a big September. His goal, he said, was to show the front office that the team was good enough to warrant a boost in payroll. And his efforts certainly didn't hurt.

The Giants spent $172 million last offseason, re-signing right fielder Hunter Pence, left-handed reliever Javier Lopez and right-handers Tim Lincecum and Ryan Vogelsong while adding Morse and right-hander Tim Hudson in free agency.

The team's Opening Day payroll, a franchise-record $154.1 million, is the seventh-highest in the majors. Yet, the Giants remain one of the game's hungriest, most professional outfits, an edge that is difficult to quantify.

"I learned how to be a winner after I came here to be in San Francisco," said Pagan, who joined the team in 2012. "Now that I have a ring, I want more. It's addictive."
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/g...-season-040614

Really neat article.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    The power of Morse compels you

vCash
    That's great Morse's mere presence in the lineup has pitchers taking notice. Let's hope he can play ~145 games!

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    It would be great if he could stay healthy. I will commend Bochy on his use of Morse thus far. If he plays 6 innings per night, he shouldn't need as many off days.

vCash
    Morse is a potential game changer. He hits what I like to call, the humiliating bomb. He is a mutant. He is The Humiliator.

He'll bone your wives and girlfriends real proper.

vCash
    Certainly in late close games, he'll have to stay in there. I don't see alot of 2-1, 3-2 games this year. By the late innings the game may be out of reach with this Giant lineup. This would benefit Morse most of all.

vCash

Rosenthal talks Giants

I wouldn't get too gung-ho about this lineup yet.

vCash
    Also on the Morse issue, I don't quite understand. They call it a calf strain. I'm sure he's getting all the treatment he needs but what would it take for him to totally get over this? Treatment or rest? if it's rest, I say give it to him now so this thing doesn't keep coming up all season. Like Ryan Braun with that thumb injury. That's going to bug him all season. For morse, fix it NOW. The club will have to have him when things get tight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lincecum=future View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken. But I think other teams recognize this is not the same 'ol Giants. The narative has changed somewhat and they are going to be more careful which could work to the Giants advantage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WiGi1 View Post
    Also on the Morse issue, I don't quite understand. They call it a calf strain. I'm sure he's getting all the treatment he needs but what would it take for him to totally get over this? Treatment or rest? if it's rest, I say give it to him now so this thing doesn't keep coming up all season. Like Ryan Braun with that thumb injury. That's going to bug him all season. For morse, fix it NOW. The club will have to have him when things get tight.
    Morse called it more of an "annoyance" than anything so I guess he's not worrying about it too much.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Pagan is a good Giant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyd1924 View Post
    Pagan is a good Giant
    He's kind of reminding me of Randy Winn right now with a little more speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    Morse called it more of an "annoyance" than anything so I guess he's not worrying about it too much.
    Would this be the first time a player has ever down played an injury? Obviously he knows his body better than anyone on the internet, but it's up to Bouchy to keep him honest so he doesn't go out and hurt himself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lincecum=future View Post
    Yuuup. Great start, nothing more. It's a long season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Would this be the first time a player has ever down played an injury? Obviously he knows his body better than anyone on the internet, but it's up to Bouchy to keep him honest so he doesn't go out and hurt himself.
    I'm just saying. I'm not questioning Bochy about this move.

Ariana Grande

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast