Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 206
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Novato,CA
    Posts
    1,694
    vCash
    1500

    Thumbs up QB Johnny Manziel Visiting Oakland per Adam Schefter

    "Fresh off his appearance at Saturday's Final Four, Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel is flying to Oakland to spend tonight and Monday with Raiders" per Adam Schefter

    Link: https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchef...97670126407680

    Johnny Football is coming to town. According to ESPN, Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel will visit the Raiders facility on Sunday night and again on Monday.

    This is one of several visits scheduled before the draft, designed to get to know college prospects. Teams generally test a player’s mental prowess during these meetings, especially quarterbacks. By rule, teams can’t work players out during these visits. They can only get medical evaluations and conduct interviews.

    The Raiders select No. 5 overall and have long talked about selecting a young quarterback in the draft. The team also traded a sixth-round pick for veteran quarterback Matt Schaub, who is expected to start in 2014.

    The Raiders are permitted 30 pre-draft visits with college players. A visit can suggest interest in a player, though it doesn’t mean a team is set on drafting that player. These are fact finding missions.

    The Raiders met with Manziel at the NFL scouting combine. Raiders head coach Dennis Allen, also a Texas A&M alum, offensive coordinator Greg Olson and quarterbacks coach John DiFilipo attended Manziel’s pro day on March 27.

    Allen was impressed by Manziel’s pro day, as were many other people.

    “The biggest thing you have to look at with Johnny, it’s really not as much what you see on the field, but all the other things surrounding him – the media attention, the celebrity of Johnny Manziel,” Allen told the Houston Chronicle. “Those are all things, as he continues to mature, that he’ll be able to handle. And if he’s able to handle those things and keep them under control, he’s going to have a successful career.”

    Link: http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/manziel-visit-raiders
    Last edited by RaiderFanBL9; 04-06-2014 at 03:01 PM.

    RAIDER NATION

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,365
    vCash
    1500
    Here comes the "Oh it's nothing, probably trying to get teams to trade up". Then next week a headline reads, 'Sammy Watkins visiting the Raiders' and, "Yes! We are going to draft Watkins!".

    Hope he makes a good impression and the Raiders (Davis) sees enough to draft him. The persona of 'Johnny Football' is clouding the reality that this guy can play. He would be the perfect prospect to have sit behind Schaub for a season (or a half of one as I don't see Manziel sitting that long), while he bulks up and learns the playbook. We need a QB.
    Last edited by *Silver&Black*; 04-06-2014 at 03:12 PM.

    McGOAT

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,502
    vCash
    1500
    This is nothing...probably trying to get someone to trade up. I'd be more convinced if Watkins were visiting!

    Seriously though, it's hard to oppose due diligence. There is no harm in the visit and his brain could also be picked about other prospects and concepts. I personally wouldn't read too much into any visit. I would assume and hope there are plenty of players of interest. Visits are just another part of the process. Visits can be smokescreens or indications of genuinely strong interest. For all we know, his visit could be attributed to concerns more than affinity. Allen did suggest the remaining questions pertain to off-field issues/concerns.

    Considering a more intimate interaction with Manziel could offer more answers and benefit than prospects believed to be better understood, I have no qualms with the visit. I very much support it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,607
    vCash
    1500
    There's only a few players who could realistically be picked in the top 5, and manziel is one of them. He could also be picked late first/high second. He is a higher risk/reward type player. Might as well look into his skills as much as possible. I would do the same for all the quarterbacks, really...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,438
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFanBL9 View Post
    "Fresh off his appearance at Saturday's Final Four, Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel is flying to Oakland to spend tonight and Monday with Raiders" per Adam Schefter

    Link: https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchef...97670126407680

    Johnny Football is coming to town. According to ESPN, Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel will visit the Raiders facility on Sunday night and again on Monday.

    This is one of several visits scheduled before the draft, designed to get to know college prospects. Teams generally test a player’s mental prowess during these meetings, especially quarterbacks. By rule, teams can’t work players out during these visits. They can only get medical evaluations and conduct interviews.

    The Raiders select No. 5 overall and have long talked about selecting a young quarterback in the draft. The team also traded a sixth-round pick for veteran quarterback Matt Schaub, who is expected to start in 2014.

    The Raiders are permitted 30 pre-draft visits with college players. A visit can suggest interest in a player, though it doesn’t mean a team is set on drafting that player. These are fact finding missions.

    The Raiders met with Manziel at the NFL scouting combine. Raiders head coach Dennis Allen, also a Texas A&M alum, offensive coordinator Greg Olson and quarterbacks coach John DiFilipo attended Manziel’s pro day on March 27.

    Allen was impressed by Manziel’s pro day, as were many other people.

    “The biggest thing you have to look at with Johnny, it’s really not as much what you see on the field, but all the other things surrounding him – the media attention, the celebrity of Johnny Manziel,” Allen told the Houston Chronicle. “Those are all things, as he continues to mature, that he’ll be able to handle. And if he’s able to handle those things and keep them under control, he’s going to have a successful career.”

    Link: http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/manziel-visit-raiders
    Lol it has begun. How you like us now??? Jk. I know it doesn't mean anything ,but at least we are doing something i wanted us to do and that is bring him in too take a look at the kid.

    If Manziel blows R.M. away by what he sees from him anything can happen. I can't wait to hear about how R.M. really feels about Johnny football.
    Eat to live don't live to eat.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    314
    vCash
    1500
    Its hard to draft Manziel at 5 because then people will complain that RM traded for shaub for him not to start or that we used a 5th overall pick for a qb that isnt starting.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,438
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by *Silver&Black* View Post
    Here comes the "Oh it's nothing, probably trying to get teams to trade up". Then next week a headline reads, 'Sammy Watkins visiting the Raiders' and, "Yes! We are going to draft Watkins!".

    Hope he makes a good impression and the Raiders (Davis) sees enough to draft him. The persona of 'Johnny Football' is clouding the reality that this guy can play. He would be the perfect prospect to have sit behind Schaub for a season (or a half of one as I don't see Manziel sitting that long), while he bulks up and learns the playbook. We need a QB.
    Right on the money. The hate this kid is getting really has very little to do with football that is for sure.
    Eat to live don't live to eat.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Novato,CA
    Posts
    1,694
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidersrocc6 View Post
    Its hard to draft Manziel at 5 because then people will complain that RM traded for shaub for him not to start or that we used a 5th overall pick for a qb that isnt starting.
    Think about it like this. If Reggie really thought Schaub was a long term answer why he sign him to preety much one year deal? IMO Schaub was brought in to mentor our young qb's and lead this team this year. Reggie has done it before and won't be scared to cut or bench a guy he traded for.

    RAIDER NATION

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Novato,CA
    Posts
    1,694
    vCash
    1500
    Reggie is a huge bealiver in letting young qb's sit and develop. That's what he learned in greenbay. Rodgers sat for 3 years as a back- up after being a 1st round pick and now is one one the few elite qb's in the league. That's what I bealive his plan is I don't think he's thinking 3 years but probably at least one. I honestly hope manziel is the pick at #5.

    RAIDER NATION

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    569
    vCash
    1500
    Manziel is still at the top of my draft wish list...I realize there are other great players at other positions, but none bring the value that a QB does. The way I look at...we can't afford to pass on a QB, or I should say RM can't! If we pass on him, and for example draft Mack or Watkins and they just look ok, but not great, then RM won't be forgiven given his recent draft success or lack thereof. There's no guarantee that any of these players will be great...the one I'd say is the most cant miss is Robinson. No way he is there at 5 though

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Still1Ballin's basement
    Posts
    16,010
    vCash
    1500
    Johnny Raider Football Manziel
    #FreeCrooner!!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,438
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidersrocc6 View Post
    Its hard to draft Manziel at 5 because then people will complain that RM traded for shaub for him not to start or that we used a 5th overall pick for a qb that isnt starting.
    Let them complain. Like someone told me on here the other day the fans don't run this team. If that philosophy works for those of us that want Johnny the same goes for those that don't even want us to take a look at the kid.
    Eat to live don't live to eat.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hendersonville N.C.
    Posts
    2,980
    vCash
    1500
    I can't believe anyone in their right mind would even consider drafting Manziel in the 1st round...this must be a late April fools joke.
    GIFSoup
    Coming to an ACC court near you.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,032
    vCash
    1500
    We need a franchise QB and until we have one, we aren't going anywhere. I wouldn't be upset if Manziel is deemed to be our franchise QB just as long as Reggie sees HIS franchise QB in this draft and takes him it doesn't matter where that player is taken. If it's Manziel at five and he then sits for a year or maybe two and develops his game then so be it. If it's a guy in the third round, then so be it. If Reggie doesn't see one then I'd hope he doesn't pick one for the sake of it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    up north
    Posts
    3,401
    vCash
    1500
    I'd rather trade back and select Evans......give DA his A&M fix but at wr.

    -Fade

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •