Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Isaiah Thomas -- Best drafting GM since 1989 (ESPN)

Thomas put up an outstanding hit rate in the draft, no matter where he picked. His run of lottery picks in Toronto should be the stuff of lore. He started off by getting Damon Stoudamire with the No. 7 pick in 1995. Then with the No. 2 pick in 1996, he grabbed Defensive Player of the Year Marcus Camby. The following year in 1997, he nabbed some high schooler named Tracy McGrady at No. 9.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...g-to-new-study

The original source is ESPN insider. It's subscription based, so can't quote stuff from it. If you want to read it, it's over here.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...afting-gms-nba

So, it seems that IT and his team were really good (or exceptionally lucky) at finding young talent. Unfortunately, the other things he did behind the scenes like trading away picks and young talent while taking on questionable contracts may have pretty much negated what appears to have been a real strength.

Not sure how to react other than it seems sad that we managed to waste what may have been IT's real gift when that could have had a really positive long term impact on the Knicks.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    Notice how all three years his team was in the lottery?

vCash
    I think his drafting record is impressive, but overrated a bit for his NY term. And Camby isn't all that great of a pick when you look who he was drafted above in arguably the best draft of all time.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81:28275535
    Notice how all three years his team was in the lottery?
    Notice how the Raptors were an expansion team of three years then?

Boogie Cousins for MVP 2015

vCash
    is this ESPN's diabolic plot to get isiah back on the knicks?

vCash
    I've always thought this. Just look at the guys he drafted while he ran the Knicks.

vCash
    He's always had an eye for young talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BEASTINEAST View Post
    is this ESPN's diabolic plot to get isiah back on the knicks?
    Personally I never had a problem with IT being involved in the Knicks, just DON'T make him the GM. A real GM who can manage trades and plan properly would have benefited from IT's stature and eye for talent.

Unfortunately, IT was promoted beyond his skill set. That's not his fault per se, that's Dolan's fault for turning over the reigns to a guy that never should have been the GM in the first place.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    i also agree he had an eye for talent

he definitely could be given the capacity as a scout for the knicks

vCash
    I think he was alright as GM but bad as coach.

vCash
    I wouldn't mind Isaiah running our scouting and draft duties you can say what you want about him but he has an eye for talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PJAF View Post
    I think he was alright as GM but bad as coach.
    Lol he was a horrible GM. I'll give him his due with drafting but the guy should never touch a gm job ever. That eddy curry trade that gave up picks turning into Noah and Aldridge still makes me vomit to this day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    I think his drafting record is impressive, but overrated a bit for his NY term. And Camby isn't all that great of a pick when you look who he was drafted above in arguably the best draft of all time.
    It's a terrible pick considering who was picked after him. Kobe, Ray Allen, Stephon, Nash, Peja, Jermaine O'Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsdelez24 View Post
    Notice how the Raptors were an expansion team of three years then?
    And who's fault do you think that is? #BlameIsiah

Actually, I didn't even think of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKINFL View Post
    I wouldn't mind Isaiah running our scouting and draft duties you can say what you want about him but he has an eye for talent.
    Pretty much.
    "..complex mane dat love simple thangs."*S.L.uggeR*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    It's a terrible pick considering who was picked after him. Kobe, Ray Allen, Stephon, Nash, Peja, Jermaine O'Neal.

And who's fault do you think that is? #BlameIsiah

Actually, I didn't even think of it.
    In hindsight yes there were way better players than Camby available.

But most of the players above were not sure things back then, aside from maybe Ray Allen that the Raptors really wanted. Camby was College player of the year and he was suppose to be the next Tim Duncan before Tim Duncan came into existence, he was suppose to be that good. I remember that draft night so well, it was basically Camby, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, or Allen and the Raptors decided to choose Camby. Shareef Abdur-Rahim was actually a pretty good player for most of his career, but just nowadays nobody remembers him because he didn't really win much as a leading man. In fact for a few years after the draft (especially when the Raptors traded Camby away for Oakley) most fans always wished the team drafted Shareef Abdur-Rahim instaed of Camby.

Kobe, Nash, O'Neal all were drafted late so other teams also passed on them. Plus no way people were picking Kobe that high. Back then it wasn't the norm to draft high schoolers in the top 5 (aside from KG in 1995 but he was the very first one).
    Last edited by phoenix_bladen; 04-08-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast