Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Do NBA scouts pay attention to the NCAA tournament?

3 of the 4 Final Four teams could have no potential NBA first rounders.

How are guys like Frank Kaminsky and Scottie Wilbekin ballin and leading their teams to the Final Four and yet their not even projected to be 2nd round picks?

It seems like NBA scouts only really care about "potential" and have pretty much already pre-determined who they think will be good in the NBA. It seems like no matter how well some college players play they can't seem to get on the NBA radar if they weren't there before.

Are these guys not getting a fair chance to make it in the NBA because the scouts don't see the long-term potential of them over some more naturally talented players? Do you think they've done enough to a least be a 2nd round projection?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedprple&gold View Post
    3 of the 4 Final Four teams could have no potential NBA first rounders.

How are guys like Frank Kaminsky and Scottie Wilbekin ballin and leading their teams to the Final Four and yet their not even projected to be 2nd round picks?

It seems like NBA scouts only really care about "potential" and have pretty much already pre-determined who they think will be good in the NBA. It seems like no matter how well some college players play they can't seem to get on the NBA radar if they weren't there before.

Are these guys not getting a fair chance to make it in the NBA because the scouts don't see the long-term potential of them over some more naturally talented players? Do you think they've done enough to a least be a 2nd round projection?
    Napier's stock is rising, so two teams have probable first round picks.

Kaminsky and Dekker are both currently projected as 2nd rounders in 2015.

vCash
    sure they pay attention,as its more gametime that you can add in evaluating players(see how the stocks of randle,napier,harrison twins,ect. have all risen) ...but its not the sole factor in evaluations.

they are getting a fair chance.but you seem to be under the assumption that what a player does/can do in college will automatically translate to the nba.the college game is different,thats just a fact of reality.if you draft on one or few dominating games in college alone ,well ,you end up with adam morrision (dont fall in love with college scoring performances! ...they can show you something or someone you havent payed much attention to before ,but they can mislead you if you dont take into account the raw tools,speed,ect. said player has)

but to the player you mention-kaminsky is a probable 2nd rounder(though i think he stays another year),same as wilbakin
    Last edited by abe_froman; 04-05-2014 at 03:38 PM.

vCash

They aren't projected because neither is expected to leave College this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbs View Post
    They aren't projected because neither is expected to leave College this season.
    Wilbekin is a senior.

Also, I thought mock drafts just pick the best guys available, not basing it on whether they think they will leave or not because you just don't know what they're going to do so you have to operate under the assumption that they will leave if they are good enough to be drafted.
    Last edited by bleedprple&gold; 04-05-2014 at 06:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by black1605 View Post
    Napier's stock is rising, so two teams have probable first round picks.

Kaminsky and Dekker are both currently projected as 2nd rounders in 2015.
    I see some mock drafts with Napier still as a 2nd round projection. Best case I have seen is him as last pick in the 1st round. I would expect better the way he's been playing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    sure they pay attention,as its more gametime that you can add in evaluating players(see how the stocks of randle,napier,harrison twins,ect. have all risen) ...but its not the sole factor in evaluations.
    Napier's has risen a little bit, Randle was always a top 5 projection, Harrison twins has risen, but I was speaking more to the tune of guys that weren't projections to be drafted making their way onto the draft board. The guys the scouts didn't have projected as NBA talents since high school that have played their way into being selections. You don't see that as much because scouts seem to be more focused on drafting on talent and potential, and give that more weight than college success.

vCash
    Napier's has risen a little bit, Randle was always a top 5 projection, Harrison twins has risen, but I was speaking more to the tune of guys that weren't projections to be drafted making their way onto the draft board. The guys the scouts didn't have projected as NBA talents since high school that have played their way into being selections. You don't see that as much because scouts seem to be more focused on drafting on talent and potential, and give that more weight than college success.
    as they should.because what matters is what you might be able to do going forward,not what you have done in a type of basketball that is played differently than nba.

there is no correlation between success in college and success in the pros(way too many college beasts that have come up and sucked in the nba),its the talent and potential that should be given the weight.giving much weight to college success is how you doom franchises(look at when mj and kevin mchale run the draft room),and get fired.
    Last edited by abe_froman; 04-05-2014 at 06:46 PM.

vCash

I feel like Kemba really helped himself with the tournaments. Idk if some one goes ape shot it has to work
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    I kind of agree with this, but then we'd end up will BB in a helicopter trying to fly over random football fields all over the country.
    Big Brother is watching

vCash
    I see some mock drafts with Napier still as a 2nd round projection. Best case I have seen is him as last pick in the 1st round. I would expect better the way he's been playing.
    that because this is an insanely deep draft were there are about 20 that look like they might be just as good as him and about 8 that look like they'll be better.personally ,i can see him going anywhere from late lotto onward

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    as they should.because what matters is what you might be able to do going forward,not what you have done in a type of basketball that is played differently than nba.

there is no correlation between success in college and success in the pros(way too many college beasts that have come up and sucked in the nba),its the talent and potential that should be given the weight.giving much weight to college success is how you doom franchises(look at when mj and kevin mchale run the draft room),and get fired.
    I wouldn't say there's no correlation between college success and nba success. Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony were pretty dominant in college and their game obviously translated well to the nba (and I'm pretty sure Lebron and Kobe would have been too). But you are right, for every Melo or Durant, there's several Adam Morrison's or Jimmer Fredette's who were big time players in college and busts in the nba. I guess the scouts know better than me. It seems almost arbitrary to me sometimes that I see all these great college players that aren't on nba draft boards. It's just amazing that these scouts know so early in these guys careers who has NBA talent and potential and I guess sometimes even great college success won't change their opinions.

vCash
    I wouldn't say there's no correlation between college success and nba success. Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony were pretty dominant in college and their game obviously translated well to the nba (and I'm pretty sure Lebron and Kobe would have been too). But you are right, for every Melo or Durant, there's several Adam Morrison's or Jimmer Fredette's who were big time players in college and busts in the nba. I guess the scouts know better than me. It seems almost arbitrary to me sometimes that I see all these great college players that aren't on nba draft boards. It's just amazing that these scouts know so early in these guys careers who has NBA talent and potential and I guess sometimes even great college success won't change their opinions.
    its not arbitrary,they arent on the boards because they do know better than you(us),they know the things to look for that can translate,instead of marveling at a great game like you(or i )with less untrained(well less trained as i get into this stuff)eyes.all these kids start to come onto the radar at about 15/16 or so,so much money is to be had in finding the next mj,kobe,lebron,ect. that millions are spent finding it first ...and you can thank sonny vaccaro for that

and great college success can change opinions.thats why you see draft projections move through the college season,why some gm's make picks based on college success(mistakenly)...just its not weighted that heavily ,as it doesnt prove to be that great indicator of future success