Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

If you ran the Warriors F.O. would you keep Mark Jackson as Coach beyond this season?

Let me preface this thread with, I support and believe in Mark Jackson's coaching philosophy.

With that being said, the Warriors are experiencing their most successful consecutive seasons in over two decades however, many of the Warriors media outlets and fans believe that Mark Jackson should be FIRED if the Warriors don't make the Western Conference Finals...

Even though all of the players fully support the coach, with even Steph Curry telling the media and essentially the FO in the height of the controversy that he wants be consulted before any decisions are made on Jackson's future with the Warriors.

Mark's consistently gotten bad press because of his teaching or preaching style, his demotion of 4th assistant Brian Scalabrine wasn't received well in the Bay Area, his reluctance to call timeouts during crucial times in the game are loathed by most fans, and his overall stubbornness regarding his system (which is taylor made for playoff basketball and which some Warrior fans don't understand) and he appears to be fully focused on the defensive end, with no attention to detail on offense.

So with that being said, if you were the Warriors do you keep Mark Jackson beyond this season and essentially extend his contract? Or do you let him walk out of the organization to coach another team?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/l...ble-hiring-him
    Last edited by COOLbeans; 04-04-2014 at 12:35 PM.

she says go for the championship

vCash
    Because he will definitely get another Head Coaching job.

And probably immediately.

vCash
    Copy and paste from Reddit
    My impression is that a lot of people don't know what a good coach is. I've been watching the warriors since the Mussellman days, and there has not been a better coach than MJax.
    He has the locker room
    He trusts his players and lets them learn by failing
    He lets the team play through tough times - as someone else pointed out Phil Jackson and Pop both do the same thing.
    He has coached the best defense in the West, personnel or not.
    He has also coached one of the best offenses in the league in prior years, personnel or not.
    Switching coaches is a huge risk in itself. As this thread suggests, there aren't even any viable candidates.
    Sure he makes mistakes, but let's not forget a coach who started Magette at Center, or a coach who let Monta have absolute free reign on Offense.
    As far as I am concerned, a lot of criticism of MJax is just anecdotal or vague. "he is not an X/O coach" .. what does that even mean? "the assistants do all the world" .. how do you know? do you go to practices? and what's wrong with delegating? Some of the greatest coaches delegate. "he doesnt call timeouts" .. this is not rocket science.. he has a strategy, and you dont know it. Face it, you're a sunday morning quarterback - you've never coached at this level, you don't quite know what's going on, and you just hear the popular narrative, and it reinforces your own limited knowledge.
    Most importantly, the players believe in MJax, and he believes in them. Putting this in jeopardy by switching to some other coach is unwise.
    Pretty much agree with most of this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SugeKnight View Post
    Copy and paste from Reddit

Pretty much agree with most of this
    Man I like that response

vCash
    Locker room chemistry is a pretty major thing. When the players are THAT much behind a coach, it's a very, very dangerous thing to mess around with it, especially when it's your Star players.

Also, it's not like GSW has had a bad season. GSW massively outperformed expectations last year, and the only reason there's disappointment this year is because people set their expectations ridiculously high in a brutally competitive Western Conference.

They're playing top shelf defense. They're still winning games and should have a decent play off run. Even if they do get knocked out in the 1st round, the West is so brutal this year I wouldn't get too worked up about it unless it's a sweep.

If I'm the FO I give him another contract and see what happens. And if the results aren't great, see if he's willing to take on some high value assistant coaches to help him with any perceived shortcomings.

The last thing you want to do is upset the apple cart when GSW clearly has players who WANT to play for him and are playing good basketball.

The only way you should let him walk is if you have a truly top tier coach walking in. Given that PJax, Pops, Riley and Thibs are all taken, that list of potential upgrades is pretty short.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    If he leaves he gonna make warriors regret it hard
    Be $wavy

vCash
    i will say that coaches who end up in the news for something other than whats happening on the court shows that there is a problem. the west simply has way more talented teams than the warriors though and you'd be crazy to think this team is a HCA team in the playoffs. Mark needs more time to develop his young bloods, he's done fine as a coach. If his team embarasses in the playoffs though, there certainly are other coaches. GK, JVG, Hollins could all step in.

vCash
    I would retain him as coach, yes. His locker room has his back, and it would be foolish for management to interfere with that situation.

The Warriors have been terrible forever. Their fans deserve some consistency now that they have become relative, and really competitive again.

Hell, it they fire him, I would love it if the Wolves signed him. Maybe his broke *** jumper could fix Rubio's broke *** jumper..

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torocan View Post
    Locker room chemistry is a pretty major thing. When the players are THAT much behind a coach, it's a very, very dangerous thing to mess around with it, especially when it's your Star players.

Also, it's not like GSW has had a bad season. GSW massively outperformed expectations last year, and the only reason there's disappointment this year is because people set their expectations ridiculously high in a brutally competitive Western Conference.

They're playing top shelf defense. They're still winning games and should have a decent play off run. Even if they do get knocked out in the 1st round, the West is so brutal this year I wouldn't get too worked up about it unless it's a sweep.

If I'm the FO I give him another contract and see what happens. And if the results aren't great, see if he's willing to take on some high value assistant coaches to help him with any perceived shortcomings.

The last thing you want to do is upset the apple cart when GSW clearly has players who WANT to play for him and are playing good basketball.

The only way you should let him walk is if you have a truly top tier coach walking in. Given that PJax, Pops, Riley and Thibs are all taken, that list of potential upgrades is pretty short.
    You make some good points. Especially regarding bringing on some top assistants next year. Even Doc Rivers has Alvin Gentry, so it wouldn't be a bad move to consider.

But I wonder who'd be available? I thought Lindsey Hunter could be a top assistant but they're using him in another role.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I would retain him as coach, yes. His locker room has his back, and it would be foolish for management to interfere with that situation.

The Warriors have been terrible forever. Their fans deserve some consistency now that they have become relative, and really competitive again.

Hell, it they fire him, I would love it if the Wolves signed him. Maybe his broke *** jumper could fix Rubio's broke *** jumper..
    It definitely looks ugly, but Mark Jackson's jumper been money all year during practices with his players. I think he's been practicing during his retirement.

vCash
    Every NBA, former or not can hit threes in practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monta is beast View Post
    How do I think [Kevin] Love helps his team lose? Terrible defense, chucker, basically a of version if Monta

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Well, as good as a coach as he is, if he wants to be somewhere else, I would let him walk. With the rumours about NY, I would just let him leave if he wants to.

He has done a good job. There are coaches who could potentially have done more with this rosters. Likely Pop, maybe Doc and Thibs, but other than that, I don't see how any other coach would do better with this roster.

There record is a bit lower than I expected, but these are part of the growing pains. I would certainly have no issue offering him a two year extension with a team option for a third year. But if he wants to be in NY, there is no sense in trying to get him to stay.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    For everything he brings with locker room chemistry and the emotional connection with players, he lacks equally in player development and X and Os.. I don't think he is a championship caliber coach without super elite level talent. His team has underperformed with the talent they have and he is solely to blame.. he doesn't work well with others and is sorely a players coach... Firing him will cause a ruckus amongst players, but sticking with him will lead to playoff losses do to the fact that he will be coached circles around

vCash
    The defensive X's and O's are there. Jackson runs an elite defense. Warriors haven't underperformed. Their differential is +4 and they are sixth in the SRS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monta is beast View Post
    How do I think [Kevin] Love helps his team lose? Terrible defense, chucker, basically a of version if Monta

vCash
    I'd keep him. He's developed a consistent team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast