Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What position do you build around?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Point Guard

0 0%
  • Shooting Guard

0 0%
  • Small Forward

10 47.62%
  • Power Forward

1 4.76%
  • Center

9 42.86%
  • Other

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Build Around A Player

You are building an NBA team from scratch, and there is a guaranteed elite player at each position available in the draft. Assuming the coach/gm has no preference (we'll say they have balanced offensive/defensive philosophies) and the remainder of the league FAs and draftees are balanced as well, what position do you draft and build around?

About three to four years ago, this thread was basically a C or PG discussion. Is this still the case? Or do you now take a talented SF? Or is there a different dynamic now (maybe you take a mismatch-type player like Dirk or Magic, who have uncanny characteristics for their positions)?
    Jerry West or Larry Bird? The discussion is over.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../birdje01.html

Part of the GOAT team: Chamberlain, Bird, Duncan, Durrant, Ewing, Gervin.
    http://bkref.com/tiny/JIHaF

vCash
    Best players happen to be SF, I believe its the most important position in todays NBA

vCash
    If you can have a high volume scorer thatvdoesnt give anything up on the other end then it doesnt matter what position he plays. Typically that has been the SG/SF (Lebron, Durant, George, even Melo at the PF) positions recently but I can see a few pg like Westbrook that can play on both ends to build around.
    The Big men positions just dont cut it anymore for a centerpiece. Its all about who has the ball in their hands the most and who can create and breakdown a defense every possession if needed. The rise in speed and athleticism is the reason why.

vCash
    I would say SF or PF...a dominant center is always great but if you have the right Forward you can change a team. A great PG needs more players to be great than the other positions and I don't think SG is as important as the other 4.

I'd probably rank them this way:

SF/PF
    C
    PG
    (other forward position)

SG
    Striving for a kinder, gentler PhillyFaninLA

vCash
    Based on NBA's current state, easily SF.

vCash
    The reason SF is so strong is because Lebron and Durant are just so much better than everyone else. No players at other positions are nearly as good.

That said I still go C and PG assuming they are all equal talents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goose14741 View Post
    If you can have a high volume scorer thatvdoesnt give anything up on the other end then it doesnt matter what position he plays. Typically that has been the SG/SF (Lebron, Durant, George, even Melo at the PF) positions recently but I can see a few pg like Westbrook that can play on both ends to build around.
    The Big men positions just dont cut it anymore for a centerpiece. Its all about who has the ball in their hands the most and who can create and breakdown a defense every possession if needed. The rise in speed and athleticism is the reason why.
    The thing is if you have an elite bigman ( which their aren't really anymore.) In say the Hakeem mold he would be nearly unstoppable. No one would be able to take him one on one and if you double him he can make the pass to the open man.

vCash
    I'd like to have a power forward who was dominant in the paint on both ends first. Stretching the floor would be something I would want my guards and SF to do and my center's responsibilities would be to help defend the paint and be versatile enough to play pick and roll defense.

I would have something that few teams have in the league today. A low post dominant scorer. Either take a high percentage shot or go to the foul line. And with the way the NBA is today, it might not be a bad idea to slow the game down and work from the post more.

vCash
    A multi-faceted scoring small forward, who can pass and shoot 3 pointers well.

I think that player is the find additional stars that fit with his skills as seen in this research presented at Sloan Sports, Big 2s and Big 3s: Analyzing How a Teams Best Players Complement Each Other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37:28265756
    Quote Originally Posted by goose14741 View Post
    The thing is if you have an elite bigman ( which their aren't really anymore.) In say the Hakeem mold he would be nearly unstoppable. No one would be able to take him one on one and if you double him he can make the pass to the open man.
    Very true but they justvarent groomed that way anymore. I blame AAU. These kids just run back in forth chucking up ***** trying to feature themselves and the post is non existent. All about the p n roll and being a shot blocker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimal View Post
    Best players happen to be SF, I believe its the most important position in todays NBA
    No, you mean point forwards.

vCash
    If you're building around a C, he'd better be an incredible passer the way defenses are constructed today.
    Jerry West or Larry Bird? The discussion is over.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../birdje01.html

Part of the GOAT team: Chamberlain, Bird, Duncan, Durrant, Ewing, Gervin.
    http://bkref.com/tiny/JIHaF

vCash
    A dynamic scoring wing...be it a 2 or a 3, is #1.

A big man, who excels on defense would be #2.

A PG is far down my list...because if I'm building it, I'm making sure the guys on my team all can pass and hope to have a good amount of play-makers. No need for a ball-dominating "true" or "pass-first" PG in my system!

vCash
    i dont think position matters to much anymore...but i'll pick c,just because i like having one

vCash
    If each player had the same value, then I would take an elite center over an elite anything else.

Someone who could have an elite post game, good rebounder, decent range from within 12-15 feet. Someone who you could build around defensively.

I feel like then, you can be a contender by just putting good role players around him. Guys who have one good aspect of a game, but maybe not much else. Someone who is a good shooter at SG, a good ball handler at PG, maybe a strong defensive SF, and another good rebounder at PF.

Even these other starters are pretty weak players, you could still be a good team.

Now, someone like a Durant/James who is a SF who can play other positions, then that could be the most valuable. But having an elite center who can do it at all, that's the best player on the court. Having Wilt/Shaq combo out there is unstoppable.....please it's a weak position, there aren't many good centers out there. It's easier to find decent PG/SG/SF/PF for cheaper on the open market I think, then to find a good starting C on the open market.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 04-04-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast