Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where do you go for stats?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESPN

3 27.27%
  • NBA.COM

0 0%
  • Basketball-Reference

8 72.73%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Where do you go for stats?

Do you go to espn.go.com/NBA, NBA.com, basketball-reference.com or another site?
    Which is better, Player Impact Estimate (PIE) or Player Efficiency Rating (PER)?

(P.S.: When did the NBA spring so much on stats? It even partnered with German infotech company SAP.)
    Last edited by mrblisterdundee; 04-04-2014 at 02:06 AM.

vCash
    Prosportsdaily.com - NBA Forum

vCash

Where do you go for stats?

Chronz or someone explain to me the difference between pie and per. I have no idea what the pie is.

vCash
    all of the above ,plus a few others

vCash
    Used to go to NBA.com, but its been a god awful abomination since they've updated it. Really don't know what they were thinking with the current design. ESPN is great though.

vCash
    the NBA stats page, myself
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbs View Post
    Chronz or someone explain to me the difference between pie and per. I have no idea what the pie is.
    Think PIE is explained on the NBA stats page. PER is explained on that basketball-reference page and in more detail in Hollinger's books.

vCash
    All are good website. You can try some other also.
    Watchlivesportonline.com - NBA, Good site.

vCash
    basketball-reference

vCash
    A combination of ESPN and Basketball Reference
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 46-52, games this week vs. Blue Jays (4), Rays (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: Good draft and off-season so far.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    Do you go to espn.go.com/NBA, NBA.com, basketball-reference.com or another site?
    Which is better, Player Impact Estimate (PIE) or Player Efficiency Rating (PER)?

(P.S.: When did the NBA spring so much on stats? It even partnered with German infotech company SAP.)
    I use a lot of different sources; NBA stats, Basketball Reference, NBAwowy, Stats for the NBA (RAPM), etc.

To be honest, you might get a better response on this topic on an actual NBA statistics board such as: apbr.org/metrics

Anyway...
    PIE is NBA's attempt at upgrading their EFF stat to be more like PER.
    PIE measures a player's overall statistical contribution against the total statistics in games they play in. PIE yields results which are comparable to other advanced statistics (e.g. PER) using a simple formula.(PTS + FGM + FTM - FGA - FTA + DREB + (.5 * OREB) + AST + STL + (.5 * BLK) - PF - TO) / (GmPTS + GmFGM + GmFTM - GmFGA - GmFTA + GmDREB + (.5 * GmOREB) + GmAST + GmSTL + (.5 * GmBLK) - GmPF - GmTO)
    PER: Not quoting this formula, go to http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/per.html

Both have the same weaknesses:
    1. Steals and blocks do not produce a good representation of individual performance on defense.
    2. Both will correlate to usage disproportionately in comparison to true shooting percentage. Within the parameters of the normalization, a player can shoot inefficiently but increase their PIE or PER by simply taking more shots.

This might help in regards to PER: Breaking Down PER in the NBA

Just beware, because basketball is about pieces to fitting together, to that end there will never be a single number that is an end all measurement of a player. The way all in one formulas drill down stats into one number, sometimes worry me because people often do not know what the formula is doing and other people falsely see all-in-ones as a representation of what advanced statistics is about.

That being said, among the best all-in-one stats, I prefer Win Shares for the reasons stated in this scout.com post and RAPM as seen Stats for the NBA (RAPM)

vCash
    BBR and yahoosports where I have a few fantasy leagues and run numbers.

vCash
    Psd

vCash
    Basketball-Reference and it isn't even close! It's by far the best stat site
    Quote Originally Posted by freejimmer View Post
    Jimmer still being BLACK BALLED by the illuminati/homeboys...
    Quote Originally Posted by freejimmer View Post
    If Jimmer were to be given free reign offensively, the team would basically quit on the organization out of jealousy and envy. The white man is the minority in this game and the black players will be damned if the white man shows him up at his own game. Similar situation happening with Kevin Love, the team has to surround him with foreigners and whites because black players won't succumb to the greatness that is Kevin Love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiLoc View Post
    I use a lot of different sources; NBA stats, Basketball Reference, NBAwowy, Stats for the NBA (RAPM), etc.
    Great stuff (of which I already knew about but still). NBAwowy is really good but for whatever reason I haven't used it much, even though I used to be a fairly frequent visitor of Evan's site. But for +/- analysis/combinations, there's really nothing like it.

J.E.'s site is really good, also because he's added some new RAPM type stats based on the 4 factors. I'd also recommend the talkingpractice blog for IPV and gotbuckets.com for pure RAPM.

To be honest, you might get a better response on this topic on an actual NBA statistics board such as: apbr.org/metrics
    I think there's a thread in there for links.

This might help in regards to PER: Breaking Down PER in the NBA
    Are you the owner of that blog (Nick)? Cause I think we're following each other on twitter lol.

That being said, among the best all-in-one stats, I prefer Win Shares for the reasons stated in this scout.com post and RAPM as seen Stats for the NBA (RAPM)
    Daniel Myers' ASPM I believe was found to be the best at retrodiction. You might check out his metric too. I also like ezPM because it uses play-by-play. Win Shares is obviously good and so is RAPM. Although I'd like to know the difference between JE's RAPM and talkingpractice's version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast