Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rosenthal- Jays players were willing to defer money from their contracts for Santana

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/b...santana-040314

this deserves its own thread. i mean i don't blame AA for trying to save face and say that ownership is willing to cough up money because it wouldn't be good for AA and Beeston to lament ownership in public. But this basically confirms what everyone has been saying all FA, that the money just isnt there. Where do we go from here considering this?

vCash
    i'm nclined to agree wit boras.

vCash
    Santana made the wisest decision for him. Play in a league and with a team that would make his numbers better so he can get paid the next year. This had nothing to do with AA and the Jays not doing enough.

"I stole and I robbed ....and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom, AND I DIDNT GET CAUGHT NEITHA ! " - Prison Mike

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jon32 View Post
    Santana made the wisest decision for him. Play in a league and with a team that would make his numbers better so he can get paid the next year. This had nothing to do with AA and the Jays not doing enough.
    That may be true...but I still don't believe that Rogers is willing to drop one more dime on this team.

vCash
    ^^It sure as hell seemed like Anthopolous at one point did think he had a deal with Santana though. It may have been a hell of a struggle to get it, but it seems like the money was there at some point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    ^^It sure as hell seemed like Anthopolous at one point did think he had a deal with Santana though. It may have been a hell of a struggle to get it, but it seems like the money was there at some point.
    The Jays were also odds on favourite to land Darvish. There's really no way of knowing what's even close to being the truth when it comes to reports and rumours from the media.

vCash
    That's not coming from rumours and reports from the media, it's coming from the way the post-Santana interviews with Anthopolous went, and the fact that his manager essentially admitted he had Santana penciled into his rotation at one point in spring training. It's not concrete or anything, but it's certainly not the Darvish thing where a bunch of people ran with a few unsubstantiated rumours.

vCash
    The fact that he lasted this long in FA is proof that GMs are getting smarter and aren't falling for the old "Put up good #'s in a pitching park and sign him to a major contract" shtick.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    I disagree. Santana was simply looking for money. It was his motive. If jays paid a little more, I am sure Santana signs with the Jays. So jays could have done more.

vCash
    That's just sad how players want to win more than management. Rogers spent so much on the hockey deal they don't want to spend on the Jays.

But what are they gonna do when the only summer programming loses viewers and the Rogers centre starts drawing flies.

vCash
    What if the money was there only on a one year deal because Rogers wants this thing as lean as possible for the inevitable new front office that comes in next year? Not an altogether unreasonable approach given how much they committed last year and how quickly it all fizzled, it's just that the money better be there if they're still in this thing come late July.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    That's just sad how players want to win more than management. Rogers spent so much on the hockey deal they don't want to spend on the Jays.

But what are they gonna do when the only summer programming loses viewers and the Rogers centre starts drawing flies.
    The Jays had a net loss of $15 mil last year. Kinda makes sense they are gun shy when it comes to spending.

vCash
    What if the money was there only on a one year deal because Rogers wants this thing as lean as possible for the inevitable new front office that comes in next year? Not an altogether unreasonable approach given how much they committed last year and how quickly it all fizzled, it's just that the money better be there if they're still in this thing come late July.
    I mostly agree with this, but if Santana was on a 1 year deal they wouldn't lose anything (outside money THIS year) if they signed him.

The Jays could have ponied up an extra say... 1.5-2 mil and Santana likely would have taken it. The most disturbing part of this story is Alex, who goes out of his way in every interview to say the money "is there", when it really looks like it's not. It'd explain why they did so little in free agency, but then why tell everyone you're going to be active in the free agent market?

It's also possible something drastic at Rogers changed from Oct to February, I don't know.... as you said though, the money better ****ing be there in July if we're chasing a playoff spot. On the flip side of that, if the Jays are in the basement I can see the team cleaning house, player wise. Maybe not at the trade deadline but for sure in the offseason.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    The Jays had a net loss of $15 mil last year. Kinda makes sense they are gun shy when it comes to spending.
    According to who? The idea that this team is losing money seems like an awfully ridiculous one when you consider how many ways Rogers makes money off of this situation.

vCash
    According to who? The idea that this team is losing money seems like an awfully ridiculous one when you consider how many ways Rogers makes money off of this situation.
    The TV advertising alone is probably a multiple of what the team costs to operate.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast